Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sealed Bearings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sealed Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 06:22 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Sealed Bearings

The single biggest forward leap in technology incorporated into my vintage 1974 (?) bike is sealed bearings. They are the only non-original equipment on the bike.

They are in my Phil Wood bottom bracket (installed circa 1978) and in the hubs of my Performance Bike wheels (pre-built replacement wheels from about 1984).

These bearings have performed flawlessly and been 100% maintenance free since purchase (30-40 years ago).

Where I do not (yet) have sealed bearings is in my head set. I have gone through several headsets over that span of time, due to "brinelling" as opposed to lack of maintanence. The headset I currently have in the bike indexes quite a bit but not so much as to interfere with steering. It does have an o-ring seal, so maintenance is not as troublesome as an unsealed bearing. It just lacks the adjustment finesse of a factory-assembled bearing set.

I'm looking forward to installing some sort of sealed bearing headset.
Old 03-11-23, 06:42 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
You want a Stronglight A9.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-11-23, 07:28 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
My first sealed bearings were in the Bullseye derailleur pulleys. The advantage was mostly that I didn't have to mess around with them, which was a big improvement over the plain bushings on the SunTour pulleys. This was important for the upper pulley on the SunTour Cyclone GT derailleur, which took some significant work to remove the pulley.

some quick photos...

As for headsets... is the modern A9 built with sealed bearings?
I'm only familiar with the old/original version with roller bearings.. which is a really robust design!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-11-23, 08:17 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
Are you looking for recommendations? Off the top of my head, Chris King comes to mind first, but they're expensive. At the opposite end is FSA; inexpensive and not as bling, but should last for quite a while.
Old 03-11-23, 09:38 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
The single biggest forward leap in technology incorporated into my vintage 1974 (?) bike is sealed bearings. They are the only non-original equipment on the bike.
Lambert/Viscount used sealed bearing hubs and bottom brackets starting around 1974. My brother still has Viscount hubs from that era in use. The bottom brackets haven't fared as well, not so much because of the cartridge bearings, but rather design deficiencies in the spindle.
Old 03-11-23, 09:58 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
You want a Stronglight A9.
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My first sealed bearings were in the Bullseye derailleur pulleys. The advantage was mostly that I didn't have to mess around with them, which was a big improvement over the plain bushings on the SunTour pulleys. This was important for the upper pulley on the SunTour Cyclone GT derailleur, which took some significant work to remove the pulley.

As for headsets... is the modern A9 built with sealed bearings?
I'm only familiar with the old/original version with roller bearings.. which is a really robust design!

Steve in Peoria
Concur on the A9 as offering good longevity but its not a sealed cartridge type. Rather a tapered roller (needle) bearing. Its also finicky on setup and if just a slight loose, lateral movement in the headstock is very apparent.

Longtime used the Bullseye but would never buy the new ones today. For this brand always on ebay new-- fifty rip-off dollars per pair in a baggy---- using chinese bearings. You can identical in various tooth count made in China of course for $15 pair.
Old 03-11-23, 10:11 PM
chain_whipped

For those seeking sealed cartridge bearing bottom brackets, there's so many excellent choices for all price ranges and weights. Campy NOS have been offered from multiple suppliers $9. - $15! That's if the size meets your applications.

The heavy but robust Shimano UN-xx for $20-25.

Ultra trick and light OmniRacer titanium $100.

And for those whom need or converting to Campy triples / vintage taper, suggest seeking the German brand F. A. G. sealed bottom bracket assembly ((why is this forum censoring F _ G?)) Kind of an oddity but they occasionally are found on ebay. NOS for $15-25. Stock up when you find them. Absolutely beautiful rollers with precise tolerance. Forewarned if it bothers one, they have Delrin threaded cups for the cartridge bearings. But, no corrosion or seized issues.

Last edited by chain_whipped; 03-11-23 at 10:14 PM.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 03-11-23, 10:16 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
chain_whipped modern Stronglight A9 headsets have sealed cartridge bearings. From Peter White's website: "For traditional bikes with 1" threaded steerer tubes, they make the A9, now with sealed cartridge bearings."
Likes For philpeugeot:
Old 03-11-23, 10:27 PM
chain_whipped

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Lambert/Viscount used sealed bearing hubs and bottom brackets starting around 1974. My brother still has Viscount hubs from that era in use. The bottom brackets haven't fared as well, not so much because of the cartridge bearings, but rather design deficiencies in the spindle.
Agree, but are super easy to change and budget friendly. Cross ref bearing I.D. and Amazon is $6 pair. Front and rear hubs use different sized bearings.

The bottom bracket spindle changed through the years but used the same bearings. They too are budget friendly. I forget all the details though sort of remember the later years had a proper second groove for the snap ring, others didn't. Sometimes required a washer to make up the end tolerance and keep the spindle from sliding. That company wasn't without such few dumb things and unfortunate rushed out of the factory, but once sorted are really neat British bargain. For the pittance price back then, too.
Old 03-11-23, 10:32 PM
chain_whipped

Originally Posted by philpeugeot
chain_whipped modern Stronglight A9 headsets have sealed cartridge bearings. From Peter White's website: "For traditional bikes with 1" threaded steerer tubes, they make the A9, now with sealed cartridge bearings."
Well that's good to know, and thanks. I would think its a much easier setup.

I was thinking of the earlier A9 headset. Spidel branding tapered roller was made Stronglight too.
Old 03-11-23, 11:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
For a headset with sealed bearings, the Tange Falcon is much cheaper than the Chris King and looks more vintage. I just installed one on my Mercian a couple of months ago. I can't speak to long term durability but for the two weeks that I had ot in the stand waiting for parts I couldn't walk by it without turning the fork and marveling at how smooth it is.
Old 03-12-23, 01:20 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 662 Posts
I was riding my 72 kessels molteni when I got a flat (tubulars).

A quick Uber to my house to grab that set of wheels that came with Weyless hubs.

Same NISI rims, same Vittoria tires. But….man, what a difference. No rolling resistance. None of that feeling that there must be a pit in the race. Just “forget-about-it” smooth.

and, they actually came off dad’s 72 colnago, so they are vintage appropriate.
Old 03-12-23, 02:19 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Shimano's cartridge threaded headsets were bomb-proof for me, and I rarely came across one that wasn't still smooth.
Old 03-12-23, 07:07 AM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
For a headset with sealed bearings, the Tange Falcon is much cheaper than the Chris King and looks more vintage. I just installed one on my Mercian a couple of months ago. I can't speak to long term durability but for the two weeks that I had ot in the stand waiting for parts I couldn't walk by it without turning the fork and marveling at how smooth it is.
+1 on the Falcon, looks good and performs very well
Old 03-12-23, 07:10 AM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I don't think wearing ball bearings out is enough of a problem on any bike to proactively take old ones out and put in sealed bearings. There are lots of bikes fifty to a hundred years old running around with all of their original bearings. I like adjustable cones and cups because they are adjustable, they are classic, and they are mechanical things for mechanics to work on and are not dumbed down for consumerism.
Likes For beng1:
Old 03-12-23, 11:24 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by beng1
I don't think wearing ball bearings out is enough of a problem on any bike to proactively take old ones out and put in sealed bearings. There are lots of bikes fifty to a hundred years old running around with all of their original bearings. I like adjustable cones and cups because they are adjustable, they are classic, and they are mechanical things for mechanics to work on and are not dumbed down for consumerism.
The technology is as much about the seals as it it the bearings. I haven't had to do any maintenance on the hubs or bottom bracket in over 40 years.

In my opinion, it isn't "dumbed down", it is a genuine improvement.

There are many other technologies I have tried and rejected but this one stuck. I can offer a few examples - Ultra-6 freewheels, slant-parallelogram rear derailleurs, cyclometers and others all of which I have subsequently removed from the bike.

I'd forgotten, I also installed sealed bearing pulleys in my Nuovo Record derailleur.
Old 03-12-23, 11:26 AM
Bad Lag

P.S. - Thanks for the A9, Chris King recommendations. I do need a new headset. I have to work out the stack height before I buy.
Old 03-12-23, 12:02 PM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I agree with all of that. But cup/cone bearings do require a certain feel and touch to adjust well. It is not for everyone (not meant as an insult). For me personally, it's a question of honor to adjust headset and hub bearings and see them run as light as possible.
But a bottom bracket, I very much prefer a cartridge without the fuss, due to the better tooling.

And yes, no need for maintenance is a very solid argument. Though I do think headset and hub maintenance is once every 10 thousand km or more. It doesn't bother me.
Old 03-12-23, 06:16 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
The first sealed bearing piece I recall having was the Suntour VX bottom bracket. I have one in use, and I think I might have a spare somewhere...I also have some of the Suntour/Sunshine touring hubs. Really cool stuff.

Then there's the Phil Wood stuff... wow.

IMG_0079 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_0091 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-12-23, 09:46 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
these sealed cartridge bearing things are definitely both Classic and Vintage:

"The SKF company was founded on Sven Wingqvist's 1907 Swedish patent No. 25406, a multi-row self-aligning radial ball bearing. The Patent was granted on June 6 in Sweden coinciding with patents in 10 other countries. The new ball bearing was successful from the outset. By 1910, the company had 325 employees and a subsidiary in the United Kingdom. Manufacturing operations were later established in multiple countries.

By 1912, SKF was represented in 32 countries and by 1930, a staff of over 21,000 were employed in 12 manufacturing facilities worldwide."
Old 03-13-23, 12:15 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
I have a Shimano 600 sealed bearing headset on my Merlin. The rest of the bike is DA7400 series, but the 600 headset, which came with the bike, looks nice and works so well I didn't see the point in changing it.

As for other period correct sealed bearing items I have on some bikes. the Mavic 500 series hubs, introduced in 1975. (Chef's kiss!)
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...3-548b73a3d85b

Also a fan of the Bullseye pulleys shown above, introduced in '73.

Hi-E made some neat sealed bearing hubs, though not particularly robust.

O.M.A.S. "big sliding" bottom brackets with Ti spindles if you want to drop some grams.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-13-23, 12:17 AM
Bad Lag

I'll have to look into getting sealed bearings put into some Nuovo Record hubs. It seems very do-able.
Old 03-13-23, 12:33 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I have a Shimano 600 sealed bearing headset on my Merlin. The rest of the bike is DA7400 series, but the 600 headset, which came with the bike, looks nice and works so well I didn't see the point in changing it.
Coincidentally, I just bought a Litespeed that came with a DA7410 headset. The bearing feel dry. I'm not overly impressed. It looks nice, but doesn't feel as smooth as I'd like.
Old 03-13-23, 10:36 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777

As for other period correct sealed bearing items I have on some bikes. the Mavic 500 series hubs, introduced in 1975. (Chef's kiss!)
https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...3-548b73a3d85b

Also a fan of the Bullseye pulleys shown above, introduced in '73.

Hi-E made some neat sealed bearing hubs, though not particularly robust.

O.M.A.S. "big sliding" bottom brackets with Ti spindles if you want to drop some grams.
tell me about that wrench: is it a Mavic tool or after-market?
I don't have to service those hubs often but that would be a game-changer (versus the 2-pin tools I have tried, and failed with, before)!
Old 03-13-23, 01:46 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
@unworthy1 The tool is an after-market item. I purchased it from forum member @hazetguy along with some hubs. I don't know too much about it, other than it works like a charm. Next time your hubs need a service, you're welcome to borrow it if you want to cover shipping or take a trip across the bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.