Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Airborne Valkyrie at Academy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 02:02 PM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw this bicycle at a local academy last night (while shopping for golf equipment) and saw this https://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...454-01232-9690. The image is below. Anyway, it's a basic Sora package with Tektro linear pull brakes. The only things I can see that are lacking is that the fork feels like it's steel (after tapping on it) and the RM17 rims. However, for $399--and if it fits (it's the standard one size fits all department store deal)--you can't beat it for entry level if you want a good recreational road bike. I asked the department manager about the bicycle assembly at his store and he said all of his assemblers have been through a Park bicycle maintenence class. I might consider getting one myself if it fits (it looks like it's around 50-52cm). Does anyone have any experience with this bicycle? I did a search and didn't find anything. I already have a Schwinn Premis that I've restored, and it would be nice to have a low cost second road bike for riding around the lake and stuff.

Old 06-25-07, 09:32 PM
wildfyre8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that too today. Do you really think that it is a good buy?
Old 06-25-07, 09:44 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Airborne is the foreign brand of Flyte bicycles, which just went under. They are a solid brand in Europe.

Last edited by Dubbayoo; 06-26-07 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-26-07, 07:21 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not think they could import into the USA due to issues with the Huffy lawsuit? Maybe someone can shed some light on this. A true shame that Airborn/Flyte is no more.
Old 06-26-07, 07:44 AM
mpd224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the way I understand it, there is no more Airborne in Europe. The European side is now called Van Nicholas. Huffy owns full rights to Airborne and plans on putting bikes back out on the market soon. That information is from the graphics design manager from Huffy that I ran into one day. Flyte was the name change from Airborne when Jamie Raddin (owner of Flyte) didn't want to lease the Airborne name any longer.
Old 06-26-07, 07:49 AM
mpd224

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike must be something put out by Huffy, or it's a fraud. The original valkyrie was Ti and this one appears to be aluminum
Old 06-26-07, 09:26 AM
erikvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like the same geometry as the Airborne Thunderbolt. (Double butted 6061 tubing - Beautiful welds on mine) I've been riding the Thunderbolt for 2 1/2 years and have no intention of replacing mine anytime soon.
-Erik

Here's a photo I found:
Old 07-10-07, 11:46 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes Huffy now sells bikes under the Airborne name again using designs from Raddin.