Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

International Flights with Bikes to SE ASIA

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

International Flights with Bikes to SE ASIA

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 11:47 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul

As our trip to Sri Lanka and the Maldive Islands draws very near (end of the week) I find myself with even more luggage and bicycle and wheel carriers then the year before. I swear I am not going to take so many thing and by the time it is ready to go, I am way over weight, way over luggage and way to many bikes that I carry. These large 115 Linear Inch SALSA Bike Boxes can be loaded with tons of stuff besides the actual bike. One of them has a trek Madone plus a set of Zipp 858 NSW's plus all kinds of other things to boot. You can max the box out at 100lbs on Delta International to SE Asia destinations..
You're flying to Sri Lanka with a huge bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee? You realize they have a local coffee-growing industry, and you can get bags of beans there that will be lightyears better/cheaper than Dunkin', right? I can't even be sarcastic with this post, it just makes no sense to pay to carry that weight on the plane.

I will give you deserved kudos on packing what looks like at least 2 bike scales. I can't tell you the number of times I've traveled to BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, BRUNEI with MULTIPLE UNUSED FULL CARBON road bikes, but have been unable to sell them to EAGER LOCALS after the only bike scale I brought along died, and I was unable to prove to them how many grams they'd be saving by switching from their alloy frames. Speaking of bike scales, what's your preferred brand? I'm unwilling to spend less than $1,000 on a new bike scale, do I have any options?

Last edited by Dan333SP; 10-30-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 11:48 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I misspoke, my apologies. My friend is not interested in, nor does he own, anything from the "2nd tier" of any collection, wheels or otherwise. He actually owns all 99 pairs of the limited edition LIGHTWEIGHT MEISTERWERKE OBERMAYER GOLD wheels. These are clearly Hors Tier ("beyond tier"), and far superior even to your SCHWARZ COLLECTION wheels, which are merely 1st Tier.
"Hors Tier" OMFG I died!
Old 10-30-18, 11:52 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Championship level trolling by TREKMOGUL. Badass!
Old 10-30-18, 11:59 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by cthenn
He's not, though. Look through his threads. I really just don't know what to make of him, other than a man who has some money to spend and a very... unique way of doing it.
Old 10-30-18, 01:51 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

You're flying to Sri Lanka with a huge bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee? You realize they have a local coffee-growing industry, and you can get bags of beans there that will be lightyears better/cheaper than Dunkin', right? I can't even be sarcastic with this post, it just makes no sense to pay to carry that weight on the plane.

I will give you deserved kudos on packing what looks like at least 2 bike scales. I can't tell you the number of times I've traveled to BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, BRUNEI with MULTIPLE UNUSED FULL CARBON road bikes, but have been unable to sell them to EAGER LOCALS after the only bike scale I brought along died, and I was unable to prove to them how many grams they'd be saving by switching from their alloy frames. Speaking of bike scales, what's your preferred brand? I'm unwilling to spend less than $1,000 on a new bike scale, do I have any options?
I have been going to Sri Lanka since March of 1975 and quite aware of the rut gut coffee that is offered. Yes they do have lots of coffee shops but Duncan Donuts coffee is one of my favorite brands and I have actually 8 of those 2 1/2LB bags packed for the trip plus 10 one pound Starbucks Dark french Roast also. I do like my coffee and lots of it being the very early riser I am....The scale is to keep track of the luggage bags and not the bicycle boxes. Not sure of the brand of the scale but surely was under USD$100.00 I am already OVER LIMIT, EXCESS WEIGHT and too many bicycle boxes plus my son is coming to visit us in late January and will be carrying another bike for me along with a set of spare carbon wheels... I now will have more bikes in Sri Lanka then I will here in US..

Last edited by trekmogul; 10-30-18 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 03:15 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
You're flying to Sri Lanka with a huge bag of Dunkin' Donuts coffee?
Of all 'the things,' that's the one that struck me as odd too. Wait, I take that back. That was the first one that struck me as odd.
Old 10-30-18, 05:35 PM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
This TREK MOGUL guy is either the biggest troll in the history of BF or lacks even the small modicum of self awareness displayed by the current occupant of the White House. I’m hoping it’s the former but I strongly suspect it’s the later.

By the way, don’t think I didn’t notice the cheap ass purple cloth luggage. I thought you only traveled with the best German RIMOWA lightweight luggage, hmmm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ht-wheels.html

Last edited by Dominae; 10-30-18 at 06:12 PM. Reason: attachment
Old 10-30-18, 09:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
he legitimately rides something like 5000+mi yearly, flies all over the world a lot, and has redundant amounts of everything.

it isnt him trolling, it's simply a lack of social awareness.
I would go nuts only riding the same 20mi line every day, but maybe thats why all the toys exist- to make that groundhog day of a ride more fun.
Old 10-31-18, 05:48 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by Dominae
This TREK MOGUL guy is either the biggest troll in the history of BF or lacks even the small modicum of self awareness displayed by the current occupant of the White House. I’m hoping it’s the former but I strongly suspect it’s the later.

By the way, don’t think I didn’t notice the cheap ass purple cloth luggage. I thought you only traveled with the best German RIMOWA lightweight luggage, hmmm?

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ht-wheels.html
Whats in doubt may I ask of you..? Ownership of 15 pieces of RIMOWA Luggage or of me using it..? Yes those are 75.00 cheap toss away bags and surely not RIMOWA.. When you start thinking then that's what gets you in trouble..
Old 11-02-18, 04:55 PM
trekmogul 

As we get ready to set off for 5 1/2 months in Sri Lanka with everything measured and weighed in, I am over sized and 200 lbs over weight and this is only for 2 people..Who said you should travel light..?
Old 11-03-18, 11:02 PM
cthenn

As we get ready to set off for 5 1/2 months in Sri Lanka with everything measured and weighed in, I am over sized and 200 lbs over weight and this is only for 2 people..Who said you should travel light..?
Who cares.
Old 11-03-18, 11:15 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Psst...

Though Sri Lanka was the site of Mountbatten"s Southeast Asia Command during WWII, and was invited (and declined) to join ASEAN, Sri Lanka is not in or part of Southeast Asia.
Old 11-05-18, 08:44 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell me you are going to continue to post from Sri Lanka. It's going to be a long boring winter on in the #41 without you.
Old 11-05-18, 10:18 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Though Sri Lanka was the site of Mountbatten"s Southeast Asia Command during WWII, and was invited (and declined) to join ASEAN, Sri Lanka is not in or part of Southeast Asia.
Flaunting wealth trumps social inadequacies and ignorance.
Old 11-06-18, 01:45 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Ignore the haters and trolls. Safe travels to you.

Please post updates.

Please let me know when you're done with those Rimowa suitcases.
Old 11-10-18, 11:07 PM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by wingless
Ignore the haters and trolls. Safe travels to you.

Please post updates.

Please let me know when you're done with those Rimowa suitcases.
Hi there, Been here for just about a week now and still trying to readjust to the heat and humidity. Been able to get 2 nice rides in so far . I did have a issue with customs in Korea as they had removed my 6 CO2 cartridges that Delta Airlines told me I could carry. Small thing and no biggie. All my 10 pieces arrived in Sri Lanka and that included the 3 bikes. I was given the evil eye by customs there too with so much luggage but i went on through...Everything appears to arrived with nothing broken..
Old 11-11-18, 09:18 AM
wingless

Thanks for the update.

Have fun. Be safe.

Adjustment to high temperaures and humidity takes a long time, especially when physical exertion is added. Drink plenty of fluids and do early or late outside activity so the sun isn't adding to the problem.
Old 12-13-18, 01:58 PM
wingless

How is the trip going? Everything working okay?

Discover anything interesting? Any cool images to share?
Old 01-11-19, 06:05 PM
Carbonated

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Anxiously awaiting an update TM....
Old 02-23-19, 03:33 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Carbonated
Anxiously awaiting an update TM....
Still alive and kicking in the extreme heat and humidity of "SUNNY SRI LANKA"..How does the time fly by so quickly i keep asking.. WOW We already been here 4 months and time is running out on me here. Sure not looking forward to riding in NW Ohio...Ughhhh.. Weather conditions today in Mount Lavinia, Sri lanka are 94F with heat index of 104 plus 94% humidity. Tuesday I officially was on "MEDICARE" and managed to ride my new age of 65 with a average speed of 18.9MPH. Will post pictures of our new place and my stocked up bike room shortly..
Old 02-23-19, 05:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Still alive and kicking in the extreme heat and humidity of "SUNNY SRI LANKA"..How does the time fly by so quickly i keep asking.. WOW We already been here 4 months and time is running out on me here. Sure not looking forward to riding in NW Ohio...Ughhhh.. Weather conditions today in Mount Lavinia, Sri lanka are 94F with heat index of 104 plus 94% humidity. Tuesday I officially was on "MEDICARE" and managed to ride my new age of 65 with a average speed of 18.9MPH. Will post pictures of our new place and my stocked up bike room shortly..
Kudos
Old 03-03-19, 03:11 PM
Carbonated

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great

That's a great average speed - congrats!
Look forward to seeing pictures.
Old 03-05-19, 06:59 AM
trekmogul 

450KM Bike ride for Charity across the island

This was a charity ride for "WOMAN IN NEED" of 450KM across the island in quite horrific heat and humidity. I was the oldest rider at 65 and the one really young kid standing by me is 19..Other photo is of me and the former president of Sri lances son. He is now a minister of parliament. I am aching, bruised and battered toes and feet and exhausted. Foe the entire ride my average speed for the 4 days was 18.2 MPH and I was always one of the first to finish even tho it was no race..

Last edited by trekmogul; 03-05-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 10:16 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

This was a charity ride for "WOMAN IN NEED" of 450KM across the island in quite horrific heat and humidity. I was the oldest rider at 65 and the one really young kid standing by me is 19..Other photo is of me and the former president of Sri lances son. He is now a minister of parliament. I am aching, bruised and battered toes and feet and exhausted. Foe the entire ride my average speed for the 4 days was 18.2 MPH and I was always one of the first to finish even tho it was no race..
Any SERIOUS cyclist will tell you... if there is more than one cyclist present at any given location at the same time, it's ALWAYS a race. Kudos on droping the hamer.
Old 03-05-19, 10:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
The light is blinding! AHHHHHHH my eyes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.