Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 10:39 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I just stick my wallet in one of my jersey pockets. If I worry about my wallet getting sweaty on a hot day I use a simple ziplock sandwich bag to protect it

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-19-23 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-19-23, 10:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
oh it’s definitely not the effort for me … it’s the unacceptably high chance/risk that i’ll forget to take it out, wash the shorts with it in there, or not have it when i need it because it’s in one of my pairs of cycling shorts in a pile in the laundry.

maybe i need a credit card / driver’s license domestique!
I make a habit of hanging my bike clothes to dry, even if I'm going to wash them - nothing like wet clothes in a pile in the laundry basket to get all smelly and disgusting! - and the time or two I didn't empty the pockets before taking the jersey off, I could feel the off-balance weight of the ziploc with the iPhone in it. Also works for keys. The thing about ingrained habits is that it reduces the need to think about trivial stuff and also reduces the probability of error.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-19-23, 10:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
I carry my ultralight slim fold Tyvek wallet with DL, credit cards, health IDs and some cash. It weighs next to nothing, is amazingly compact and when not riding it goes in the back pocket of my jeans - and barely know its there. My wallet

Old 03-19-23, 11:06 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The thing about ingrained habits is that it reduces the need to think about trivial stuff and also reduces the probability of error.
True. And this works for me partly. To get back in my house after a ride, I need a key and my garage door opener. When I walk through the door between the garage and the basement, those two things always get put i the same place, just inside the door. They are a set that only go with my on bike rides, so they stay put until my next ride. This never fails me.

But the other items in my pocket, together in a snack ziploc, lend themselves less to automata. The cash and spare credit card and Heath Ins. card stay with my bike things, an actual DL would have to be separated from that bag and put back into my wallet. And it's that subtle difference - there's some things that stay downstairs with my bike things, but one thing that needs to be extracted and brought upstairs to my civilian clothes and life. For some reason, that extra (trivial) complexity meant that I sometimes left my license with the bike things. So I started carrying the expired DL instead.

Habits, consistency, and the brain can operate in funny ways.
Old 03-19-23, 11:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a small plastic sleeve that has an expired driver's license, a copy of my Kaiser card, and a five dollar bill. I just keep it with my helmet and sunglasses so it's always ready to go into my jersey pocket whenever I head out the door.
Old 03-19-23, 11:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Last year I got a Real ID driver's license because DMV offered free "upgrade" for those who had renewed during COVID pandemic, so I have two valid driver's licenses. I suppose I could carry the older one in a Zip Lock bag in my jersey back pocket, but I am more concerned about losing it and identity theft. If a police officer really wants to know my driver's license, I can recite the number from memory. On my iPhone, one can pull up my medical ID or make an emergency call even if the phone is locked
Old 03-19-23, 11:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
True. And this works for me partly. To get back in my house after a ride, I need a key and my garage door opener. When I walk through the door between the garage and the basement, those two things always get put i the same place, just inside the door. They are a set that only go with my on bike rides, so they stay put until my next ride. This never fails me.

But the other items in my pocket, together in a snack ziploc, lend themselves less to automata. The cash and spare credit card and Heath Ins. card stay with my bike things, an actual DL would have to be separated from that bag and put back into my wallet. And it's that subtle difference - there's some things that stay downstairs with my bike things, but one thing that needs to be extracted and brought upstairs to my civilian clothes and life. For some reason, that extra (trivial) complexity meant that I sometimes left my license with the bike things. So I started carrying the expired DL instead.

Habits, consistency, and the brain can operate in funny ways.
Ah! It is indeed the little details. There's a key difference - I have no "downstairs". Standard post-war California suburban ranch house. Very little extra space, so I always dress and undress in the same spot next to the bed whether it's for cycling, or going to work, so it's all the same to me - no second place to put things like keys and such.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-19-23, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Phone and wallet go in the same plastic zipper bag to protect it from sweat and that goes in my middle rear pocket of my jersey. If me and my bike get separated, I want them both to go with me. If I'm knocked into a ravine and my bike stays smashed against the road railing I feel I've got a better than 50/50 shot my phone will survive.
Old 03-19-23, 02:33 PM
RJC1811

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I carry a copy of my drivers license and some cash. I hate stuff in my jersey pockets except for my phone and some snacks so I have a small under saddle bag. I guess that makes me a Fred? Anyway, I have all the essentials in there, spare tube, mini tool, CO2 and my ID. It makes life so much simpler, I can just change into my gear, throw my phone in my pocket, fill my water bottle and go.
Old 03-19-23, 06:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm rather skeptical of this, especially since a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name. And do you really think a cop wants the hassle of confiscating your bike over a minor issue? I don't.

Also, this might be dependent on the state. In at least one (of the seven) states in which I've lived, there wasn't a requirement to even carry the DL while driving a motor vehicle.
So if we want to get technical, if you’re accuse of a traffic offense, you typically sign the citation promising to appear at trial. If you can’t prove your identity, then the officer doesn’t have to let you go on your promise to appear, and depending on the level of the offense can arrest you and haul you off to jail.

Admittedly, most situations are unlikely to get to that extreme, but if things go completely sideways, it could happen
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-19-23, 06:19 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I usually carry my military ID, as I have a number of routes with on-base segments. As far as legal requirements in the US, I think about half the states have "stop and identify" statutes where in a "Terry stop" (detained for reasonable suspicion) you must give your name. (But no requirement for an actual document, though I guess under emergency powers they did require that for covid vax proof.) Of course if leo has probable cause to believe you violated something for which arrest is available, it doesn't help to piss them off.

scott s.
Old 03-19-23, 07:52 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I don't carry any ID. Just my phone.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-19-23, 07:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So if we want to get technical, if you’re accuse of a traffic offense, you typically sign the citation promising to appear at trial. If you can’t prove your identity, then the officer doesn’t have to let you go on your promise to appear, and depending on the level of the offense can arrest you and haul you off to jail.
You quoted me on this, but seem to have missed it; so here it is again:

a LEO can easily access your DL (complete with photo, to verify identity) from the computer in a cruiser. In other words, they can prove your identity quite easily, just from your name.
Old 03-19-23, 08:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I have photos of my driver's license and insurance cards on my phone.
Old 03-19-23, 08:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
It's the heath insurance card that people might need to find without my help.
If you are incapacitated and can’t direct them to the card then you need emergency treatment and thus don’t need them to find it.

I think you’re overthinking this. Just take an expired DL, your health insurance card (or even just the numbers) and any form(s) of payment you want. Keep them all together in something like a Zip-Loc. I feel fully covered with such documents during two-week tours far from home.
Old 03-19-23, 09:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Besides my RoadID dog tag on a chain around my neck, I carry the only wallet I have, a Witz waterproof case. It has everything I need anywhere for any sport,, even a bit of paper money, also my remains donation card. I used to use a Zip-Lock, but the Wtiz is a definite upgrade.
Old 03-19-23, 10:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you are incapacitated and can’t direct them to the card then you need emergency treatment and thus don’t need them to find it.
Yes.

Plenty of posters seem concerned about this, but it's needless concern.

https://www.cms.gov/regulations-and-...ity%20to%20pay.

Having an insurance card might make it a tiny bit easier, but it's really not necessary. The ER is required to offer treatment, and you can get the insurance info to them later.
Old 03-20-23, 02:07 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I just put my wallet in the back jersey pocket.
I also have a 20 in each bikes saddle bag: tire boot, emergency food or drink, probably adequate for a cab and definitely adequate for a beer.
Old 03-20-23, 02:54 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Camilo
I just put my wallet in the back jersey pocket.
I also have a 20 in each bikes saddle bag: tire boot, emergency food or drink, probably adequate for a cab and definitely adequate for a beer.
$20 is.a bit spendy for a tire boot, but I suppose you'd get your deposit back.
Old 03-20-23, 03:01 AM
MinnMan

I think you’re overthinking this. Just take an expired DL, your health insurance card (or even just the numbers) and any form(s) of payment you want. Keep them all together in something like a Zip-Loc. I feel fully covered with such documents during two-week tours far from home.
Not every trip to the ER or urgent care clinic is because you're incapacitated. Some years ago I went down on a ride and broke my hand. I walked in to the nearest ER. I don't know if they would have treated me anyway for an injury that was not life-threatening, but in any case, it sure made things easier that I had my card to show them.

As to overthinking, bf would be a pretty empty place without it.
Old 03-20-23, 03:18 AM
indyfabz

Not every trip to the ER or urgent care clinic is because you're incapacitated. Some years ago I went down on a ride and broke my hand. I walked in to the nearest ER. I don't know if they would have treated me anyway for an injury that was not life-threatening, but in any case, it sure made things easier that I had my card to show them.

As to overthinking, bf would be a pretty empty place without it.
If you’re not incapacitated there’s no concern over them finding the insurance information, which is the issue I was primarily addressing.

IMO, BF is sometimes an empty place because of it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-23, 03:24 AM
indyfabz

Yes.

Plenty of posters seem concerned about this, but it's needless concern.

https://www.cms.gov/regulations-and-...ity%20to%20pay.

Having an insurance card might make it a tiny bit easier, but it's really not necessary. The ER is required to offer treatment, and you can get the insurance info to them later.
Happened to me in 2012. Crashed and fractured my clavicle while riding in another state. Didn’t have my insurance card. Treated in the ER. Provided the insurance info when I got the bill.

I’m like a rash over the computer systems of the three major hospitals in Philly. A few years ago I lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch. My insurance info was already on file with the hospital I was taken to.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-20-23, 04:23 AM
MinnMan

If you’re not incapacitated there’s no concern over them finding the insurance information, which is the issue I was primarily addressing.
I'm not sure of your point. If I'm not incapacitated, they don't need to find it, but I still need to provide the information and the easiest way to do this is to have the card with me. So why are you giving me flak about this seemingly simple and uncontroversial practice?

Maybe you are overthinking it.

Last edited by MinnMan; 03-20-23 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 05:56 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Only my phone, which happens to be my wallet, my car key and music player.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-20-23, 06:06 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I don't know if this was good advice or not, but a lawyer told me not to carry a driver's license when riding because it's a motor vehicle license, yet police will ask for it if they think you did something wrong and attempt to write a ticket to it. Can anyone comment on this? Seems to make sense since one does not need a license to ride. If a person didn't have a driver's license at all, what would the police do? I don't know. I'll probably regret posting this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.