Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

WalMart bike clothes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

WalMart bike clothes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 12:16 PM
Test4Eric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WalMart bike clothes?

So I've been commuting for the last 3 months & have had a blast doing it. However, lately the heat has been past 80F, and I'm starting to sweat like a used mule. I carry a backpack w/ my work gear, and I'm thinking about switching to a non-bike specific messenger bag, and i know that makes a huge difference.

However, I'm wondering about what type of shirt I should be wearing. I'll be ordering the 2009 Fat Cyclist jersey to reward myself for a healthier & cheaper lifestyle, but that won't come in til Nov.

In the meantime, what type of shirt would be best for making me not stanky after my commute? Would something like UnderArmor work? Is there a generic WalMart (yeah, yeah, big blue satan) equivalent? I have time to change clothes at work, but can't shower or anything, and I'd like to not have a soaking back at work.

Any suggestions on cheap biking shirt/jersey?
Old 07-09-08, 12:22 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Target has cheap champion polyester exercise shirts. Walmart, sears, kohls, etc also have an equivalent.

Also, a messenger bag helps more with the comfort level of having gear on your back but not with sweating IMHO. To fix that issue you would need to either get panniers or a rack trunk. Possibly a backpack with a contoured raised back that does not sit entirely on your back would also help.
Old 07-09-08, 12:26 PM
sdastroguy

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how much cost comes into play, but since you mentioned Walmart I assume you are price sensitive. A local store here, Scheels, has Champion and UnderArmor (among others) branded shirts designed for wicking away moisture. Best of all they are not covered in logos and look like something you would wear places other than biking. The shirts are $13 and so are the matching shorts. For the $50+ I'd have had to have paid for a jersey in the bike department I walked away with 2 shirts and 2 shorts. They are comfortable for temps into the 90's at least. I can't vouch for more as it hasn't been warmer than that here yet.
Old 07-09-08, 12:30 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get mine at Target.
Old 07-09-08, 12:33 PM
drhrosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the STARTER TRAINING TEE and the ATHLETIC WORKS PERFORMANCE TEE (compression t-shirt) from Walmart. I love the heck out of them. They both use sweat wicking tech, and are inexpensive. The prices actually went up 2-3 dollars since I bought them 6 months ago. https://www.walmart.com/catalog/catal...atNavId=133197
Old 07-09-08, 12:39 PM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, any synthetic wicking T-shirt will work. Nothing wrong with getting the basics from WalMart.

If you want something that **looks** like a bike jersey, Nashbar has generic bike jerseys with from $14. Have to factor in shipping, of course, but if you need another accessory or something it's not bad.

good luck! I bought my first bike jersey this week (Dicks Sporting Goods had a sale locally, got a jersey for half off sticker price) and I can't believe I let myself wear heavy cotton T shirts in hot, humid AL for so long!
Old 07-09-08, 12:45 PM
Test4Eric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any type of fabric that works best? Are all athletic shirts essentially the same?
Old 07-09-08, 12:47 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is pretty much all polyester with maybe another fabric thrown in like lycra. I try to get whatever has no cotton.

That being said I prefer cycling jerseys and leave my old champion stuff at home for the gym.
Old 07-09-08, 01:13 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can also check local closed-out stores like TJ-max, bells outlet, Marshall's, ross... etc they often carry brand name clothes ( under armour, nike, adidas..etc ) at very reasonable prices, usually 50% off or more, and if they have some type of cosmetic imperfections (logo was stitched back wards, etc) they will have greater discount.
Thats how I get my compression shorts (ross, Marshall's) for cheap, underarmor for $9.99 instead retail $24.99+

I use basketball short from target and k-mart, and shirts too. (make sure their tags say something about wicking technology, duo-dry, sports-dry, etc)

Last edited by jrafael; 07-09-08 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-08, 01:17 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can find a cheap merino wool shirt, you'll be glad.

I frequently go at least a week in the same shirt. And no, you probably won't find one at a big box store.
Old 07-09-08, 01:18 PM
ShadowGray
I like my car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Walmart has their brand of athletic clothing... Dri-Star or Dri-Fit, and $8 for a ****, they work pretty well.
Old 07-09-08, 01:21 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found an adidas base layer at kohls for $10. They usually go for $30 or more.
Old 07-09-08, 02:27 PM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wear something very similar to this:
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2795313

it's mesh but is a t-shirt. i have a yellow one
Old 07-09-08, 02:41 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also look for athletic socks in Walmart with 0% cotton
Old 07-09-08, 03:11 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Also look for athletic socks in Walmart with 0% cotton
+1
Old 07-09-08, 03:18 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Test4Eric
Is there any type of fabric that works best? Are all athletic shirts essentially the same?
No, they're not. The better ones have an antimicrobial treatment that will help prevent development of toxic stench -- the cheaper ones are not as likely to have that treatment.
Old 07-09-08, 03:23 PM
LittleChainring

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one of these. https://alertshirt.com/motsh.html

Besides being made of high-visibility moisture-wicking polyester, it has the added advantage of coming in sizes up to 3X.
Old 07-09-08, 03:23 PM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
of course there's a solid chance that the clothes sold in walmart were manufactured by slave or child labour. if that makes you queasy, there's always this jersey

... made in canada with 50% recycled polyester for the fairly reasonable price of $28 cdn. comes in four okay colours.
Old 07-09-08, 03:40 PM
deez
peaced out

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
If you can find a cheap merino wool shirt, you'll be glad.

I frequently go at least a week in the same shirt. And no, you probably won't find one at a big box store.
any suggestions where to look? I've been hunting for Merino Wool T-Shirts today and found some at www.sierratradingpost.com and at REI for around 35 bux a shirt. is that decent?

IMHO wool is the best thing you can wear. Wicks moisture, doesn't stink, keeps you cool (or warm)....I replaced all my socks with merino wool a number of years ago, and i'm currently on a tear of replacing old grubby T-shirts and I think wool would make a lot of sense.
Old 07-09-08, 04:07 PM
capolover
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha.
80 degrees.

I'd kill for 80 degrees.
Old 07-09-08, 04:11 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
No, they're not. The better ones have an antimicrobial treatment that will help prevent development of toxic stench -- the cheaper ones are not as likely to have that treatment.
Vinegar in the laundry helps kill that stench, and the Champion C9 stuff from Target works great. Some of it even has reflective piping on it if you don't want to go the alert shirt route.
Old 07-09-08, 04:19 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's up with all of the WalMart questions?

There are plenty of retailers like Cabelas that have wicking tees for $10 or so. They work well and look good enough to wear as casual office attire. Just buy em a size smaller so they're not flapping in the breeze. OR, you can also find plain bike jerseys at Performance and Nashbar to name a few.

I prefer to not look like a super hero even though I can scale hills with the best of the polka dotters!
Old 07-09-08, 05:14 PM
ConstantRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deez
any suggestions where to look? I've been hunting for Merino Wool T-Shirts today and found some at www.sierratradingpost.com and at REI for around 35 bux a shirt. is that decent?
$35 for a lightweight short-sleeved 100% Merino tshirt is a pretty good price. Do you have specific links?

At Campmor, they've got long-sleeve wool t-shirts for $20 that are definitely a good deal.

I have also found lightweight Merino wool sweaters from Target and long-sleeved Merino wool polo shirts at Macys.com for $10 - $15. (You have to wait for the fall/winter for that though...)

But cheap short-sleeved wool tshirts -- i.e., what you'd want to wear for summer riding -- seem fairly elusive. Most seem to start at around $50...
Old 07-09-08, 05:26 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Under armor, football players often wear it. It's like a cheap version of a cycling jersey. No pockets, wicking material, super skin tight. Comes in black or white. I recommend white, and you might go a size bigger than what you really wear.
Old 07-09-08, 06:01 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Athletic Work's Dri-More polyester shirts from Walmarts - on sale for $6 (reg $7.96). I got a bunch of them. Excellent for hot weather. I think a few people have mentioned them already. I've seen them in two shades of blue (my favorites), black, white, orange, and yellow. Nice fit too.-

Last edited by Silverexpress; 07-09-08 at 06:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.