Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bread Transportation

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bread Transportation

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 06:57 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the link to my bike pictures

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...postcount=3282
Old 07-21-08, 07:15 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^That's alot of reflectors.
Old 07-21-08, 07:41 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
^^^^^That's a lot of reflectors.
There is not such thing as "too many reflectors"

part of my daily commute it's in a 8 line state road ( State Road 60 ) in Brandon, FL. Cars usually avg 60+ mph and the "bike lane" its pretty narrow, riding in the sidewalk it's even worst, tons of business that will increase my changes of getting hit 1000%, but to my advantage I always have the sun on my bike in the morning and in the afternoon so I know they are seeing something shiny
Old 07-21-08, 10:38 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iPirate
buy stronger bread?
That would be my recommendation. A good dense whole grain bread will take a lot of abuse.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-22-08, 02:44 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I walked in college, I'd keep bread at the top of me backpack, after packing everything else in. That's what I'll do when biking in the fall.
Old 07-22-08, 06:35 AM
NobylSpoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can get a plastic container like this to protect the bread, they are about $15
Old 07-22-08, 06:55 AM
awc380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
I did the hang it thing but better than that is a bread machine with a timer so you get fresh bread in the morning when you wake up. So you just carry sacks of flour and jars of yeast from the grocery store.
Even better than buying sweatshop flour and yeast is to buy a few acres of property and sow some wheat, and also cultivate your own little yeast colony. And make the paper for which to wrap your bread in.

You know...if you REALLY cared about biking. (?)
Old 07-22-08, 09:49 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Did you not see that the OP said he hadn't the budget for such?

If he can't afford those, how can he afford a bread machine?
He could always make bread by hand. Y'know, like back before there were bread machines? Although I can see trouble down the road when he asks how to get an oven back to his place on his bike...
Old 07-22-08, 10:08 AM
Nick The Great
Internal Cyclist Emerging

Bikes: Cannondale Adventure 5 (It's a start . . . )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burbankbiker
I do a similar thing to the "tie it outside" method. My grocery store has a helium tank with balloon string hanging off it. I take a string and loop it through the messenger straps and lash the bread on. I do this with oversize toilet paper packages too.
I was expecting you to say you bought a handful of balloons and made a little 'floating trailer'
Old 07-22-08, 10:19 AM
BMonei
Inebriated Ninja Hatters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchase flat bread.
Old 07-22-08, 10:27 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iPirate
buy stronger bread?
+1 For crustier bread. Americans eat dough for bread.
Old 07-22-08, 12:32 PM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awc380
Even better than buying sweatshop flour and yeast is to buy a few acres of property and sow some wheat, and also cultivate your own little yeast colony. And make the paper for which to wrap your bread in.

You know...if you REALLY cared about biking. (?)
Baking bread isn't *that* hard. Flour, water, salt and yeast. That's it. Flatbreads like tortillas are supposed to be even easier (since I'm a damn gringa, I didn't grow up doing tortillas). Most pita is leavened, and I tend to stare at all the shaping and give up and make a "real loaf".

The main trick is learning to slow bread down enough that it fits into your schedule. A 24-36 hour rise cycle works for me. If I needed to do even longer rises, I would be better off going to a sourdough starter. Feed the yeastie beasties every day or so, and then you always have yeast... and they're a bit more flexible than commercial yeastie beasties.

Now if you don't have an oven, it's not a real viable option (some toaster ovens are enough of a real oven that they count). In my oven-less days, I tended to go for pasta instead... which has the side benefit of caring a lot less about being squished .
Old 07-22-08, 12:49 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
Now if you don't have an oven, it's not a real viable option (some toaster ovens are enough of a real oven that they count). In my oven-less days, I tended to go for pasta instead... which has the side benefit of caring a lot less about being squished .
Pasta makes my blood sugar go up too high.
Old 07-22-08, 04:47 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To elaborate on my +1, I make my own bread using the "no-knead" method made famous by a New York Times article a few years back. (Google "no-knead bread" if you're interested.) It's better than bakery quality and cheaper to make. And I don't have to carry it to and/or fro on my bike.
Old 07-23-08, 03:29 AM
Bike_UK
Pedal Power!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main trick is learning to slow bread down enough that it fits into your schedule. A 24-36 hour rise cycle works for me.
I often kneed and rest the dough the night before and then let it prove overnight in the refridgerator for baking in the morning.

If I needed to do even longer rises, I would be better off going to a sourdough starter. Feed the yeastie beasties every day or so, and then you always have yeast... and they're a bit more flexible than commercial yeastie beasties.
Sourdough is great stuff but i have found that not everyone is keen on having to chew their bread!

If you are interested in baking your own bread, my favourite books are: https://www.amazon.com/Dough-Simple-C...6805179&sr=8-1 and https://www.amazon.com/Crust-Bread-Yo..._bxgy_b_text_b . The first deals with white, wholemeal, rye and sweet doughs, the second with sourdoughs and 'different' doughs.
Old 07-23-08, 07:11 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If the OP can't afford a rear carrier, it is no wonder he/she is eating squishy Wonder Bread instead of Kaiser rolls or French Bread.

It is no mere coincidence that the French eat strong bread and are a bicycle nation. Which came first, one has to ask...

Better days are coming, Mr. OP. Keep biking. Keep dreaming. Keep saving for that rear carrier and a box to carry bread.

Keep the dream alive.
Old 07-23-08, 10:22 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar Basket.
Old 07-23-08, 09:22 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mike

It is no mere coincidence that the French eat strong bread and are a bicycle nation. Which came first, one has to ask...
Speaking of the bread the French eat, have you ever tried to transport French bread in a pannier? I always end up with it sticking up out of the pannier. Looks kind of cool, but I always manage to break it in two pieces as I mount the bike. (Don't ask how I manage this...)
Old 07-23-08, 09:43 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Speaking of the bread the French eat, have you ever tried to transport French bread in a pannier? I always end up with it sticking up out of the pannier. Looks kind of cool, but I always manage to break it in two pieces as I mount the bike. (Don't ask how I manage this...)
The proper way to transport a baguette is to perch it atop the brake hoods. Helps if you have non-aero levers. Don't forget to nibble as you ride.
Old 07-24-08, 05:03 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a cloth shopping bag to transport bread and big bags of chips. The bag has long handles that I can stretch over the handlebars. It hangs in front of the frame above the front wheel. Don't get any bags with short handles. They won't go over the handlebars as easily as bags with long handles.

I like to buy the 16" pizzas from Wal-Mart. I have a very wide and skinny bag into which the pizza will fit. I use a short rope to tie the handles of the bag to the loop on the top of my back pack. It hangs sideways and brushes the side of my arm but at least I can get it home. It is too big to fit panniers or inside baskets.
Old 07-24-08, 08:38 PM
awc380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quit your job/school and just start baking bread full time.
NOW.
Old 07-25-08, 03:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

I paid $5 for my last bread machine from the thrift shop...new in the box. I have seen a couple others there too. If it doesn't have the manual you can usually find one on line somewhere.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon