Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you do for a living?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What do you do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 10:13 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nykoelle
A lot of these jobs seem to involve a lot of sitting... wonder if that is a coinicidence or if you have a physical job, you're less likely to ride in to it?
Well, one of the reasons I started going human-powered to work (first walking, then riding) was to prevent Dispatch Ass. It's a very serious disease caused by sitting for 12-hour shifts while wonderfully nice EMTs and paramedics bring you food.
Old 08-08-08, 10:25 AM
QNSplanner
civil servant commuter.

Bikes: Panasonic DX-2000, Peugeot City Express

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benda18
i'm a planner for a transit authority. i have an 80 mi. rt commute 25% by bike. i spend 3-4 hrs a day commuting. since my job is so closely related to commuting and i'm one of the few front office employees who knows what a bus looks like on the inside, i do what i want and don't put up with much bs re: bike commuting.
Right on. I am a City Planner in NYC. I worked as a bus operator for a transit authority for a short time after college, which makes me the only person around here with any idea about how transit operations really work. I am always amazed at the institutional disconnects that exist between planners and operations people when it comes to transit.

I don't really do transportation planning now (we have a separate division dedicated to transportation). Mostly I review land use in eastern Queens and try to sort out the good development ideas from the sea of ugliness and dysfunction.
Old 08-08-08, 10:27 AM
Big M
I am Joe's lactic acid.

Bikes: 2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of these jobs seem to involve a lot of sitting... wonder if that is a coinicidence or if you have a physical job, you're less likely to ride in to it?

Absolutely did for me...running the marketing department at work meant working long hours (sometimes even weekends), 95% of which are spent chained to the desk/phone/computer. My downtime has been cut drastically over the years, and I find I choose to spend it on social life rather than biking and exercise.

I got hooked on biking a few weeks ago, and figure commuting is the perfect solution as i'm spending 30 minutes commuting anyway...just add another 20 and get a workout.

I've contemplated a career change from my office job to something where I'm more active (retail, manual labor), and I imagine I'd probably not want to "exercise" immediately before and after laying bricks all day.
Old 08-08-08, 10:27 AM
QNSplanner
civil servant commuter.

Bikes: Panasonic DX-2000, Peugeot City Express

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bear in mind that jobs that don't involve a lot of sitting generally allow much less time to waste on BF.
Old 08-08-08, 10:28 AM
toyota200x

Bikes: Brisa b26d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool thread. It is fun hearing about people's jobs.

I bike 2 mile RT. I am a assistant engineer at a industrial door company.
Old 08-08-08, 10:32 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Grad student, child psych. 2 miles from campus, so I hope to only use the car for groceries, trips to elementary schools, and bad weather/social events.
Old 08-08-08, 10:36 AM
ItoDoeblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My decision to start commuting was partially because I sit at a desk all day, and partially because I rediscovered how fun it is to ride the roads
that and I was turning soft
Old 08-08-08, 10:40 AM
KimberlyL

Bikes: 08 Trek 7.2 FX WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For one more week I'm a supervisor in a Social Security field office in a small town. After next week, I will be an Area Systems Coordinator for three Social Security field offices in three separate cities.

I will be bike commuting to one of these offices three days a week, about 8.5 miles one way. No showers at work. Have gotten permission to use the break room for bike storing, but am thinking of using a little utility closet that really doesn't get used by anyone but the cleaning people, and they are gone before I will get in. Or I'll scope out the office when I'm back there and see if there is a better place. I wouldn't be surprised if I get complaints from at least one yahoo I work with. BTW, in this office the previous systems coordinator, whom I am replacing, would also never allow anything in the cubes that had to be plugged in, such as space heaters or a small fan! I may be more lenient on this issue if it is left to me. I did hear a good tip about hanging up wet/sweaty clothing on the back of the LAN cabinet to dry. Nobody will go in there but me, so I may give this a try!

One of the other two offices is about 14 miles away one way. May or may not attempt this one on the bike. Not sure yet if I can park inside or not. Will talk to the manager week after next when I'm there for the first time and see how it goes. Also will have to see if I can coordinate with the hubby getting kids to/from school and daycare. Third office is maybe 40 - 50 miles one way, so I'm not doing that.
Old 08-08-08, 11:01 AM
threeflys
Eternal NooB

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro, Lemond BA, Spec Roubaix, Riv Homer Hilson, Cielo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding to work because the Coast Guard has a max weight limit and mine is 193# (I'm 5'8", medium build), I was always just making weight every six months so I had to do something.

Old 08-08-08, 11:05 AM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Graphic Designer
Old 08-08-08, 11:34 AM
corripio

Bikes: Felt 45, Swobo Otis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a PhD student researching nanomaterials.
Old 08-08-08, 11:39 AM
gronk40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a coincidence for me. I didn't bike when I had a physical job - but I NEED to now that I have a non physical job. Not at all convenient before, important now.
Old 08-08-08, 12:23 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My job title:
Loan Services Default Support Representative, in my company I review customer's request for assistance with their mortgages.

There is one big rack under a huge oak, can't bring bike inside, we do have a small gym with showers and temporary lockers.

I'm the only bicycle commuter in the whole building (500+) sad but true.

I commute 8~10 miles roud trip every day.
Old 08-08-08, 04:12 PM
B Piddy
Keep on, keepin on

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy Custom build, Giant Sedona, '06 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Quite a few technical professional folks here.

I work for an electric utility. Power plant project engineer, mechanical engineer by degree. Spend most of my days monitoring and brainstorming ways to help our coal-fired power plants hold their farts in. Basically, the DNR and EPA keep me busy. Commute 6.5 miles one way.
Old 08-08-08, 05:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I'm a pathologist and much of my day is spent sitting at a microscope looking at histologic slides and issuing reports. One nice thing about my job is that I can get started on my work as soon as I reach at the Hospital. That's the time I'm really at my peak, after the ride. I arrive very early and I don't have to deal with anyone else, so I can clean up later at my convenience.

BTW, tnath0522 or some other correspondent, this is a pretty long discussion thread and I haven't had time to read it all. It would be interesting if someone could tally all the responses.

;8==I()[

(Busy pathologist furtively winking from behind his binocular microscope.)
Old 08-08-08, 05:37 PM
JR97
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timothyday
I'm the Audio Post Engineer//Sound Designer for the PBS Kids Sprout Network.
Nice. I was an audio/video mastering engineer for about 10 years. Fun job until it became a "job". Never paid squat though.
Old 08-08-08, 06:01 PM
MAR_inPDX

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work for a small startup that is in the computer servers biz. So I spend my whole day in front of this computer. One of the job related hassles is that I carry my laptop to and from work each day and that is a killer on my back. Probably poor core strength since I started to commute just this summer.
Old 08-08-08, 06:14 PM
alex_o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Software Engineer -- oh no not another

I am actually an electrical engineer who writes Linux app software for the largest medical diagnostics company. My commute is about 15 miles of round trip. I pick up a commuter train close to my house and ride to the end stop and then bike to work from there. No showers in my building. I shower before I ride and this does the trick. Yes I sweat but, I usually towel off in a bathroom. Like someone said before when you are doing software for living, your boss does not really care about hours you work or how much you sweat. That is the best part of the job. I actually look forward to my bike ride because I can take it slow and not act like rest of the mechanized idiots that waste oil and environment. I have several bikes
1985 Trek 400 - Do not ride it anymore, but would like to do something with it.
1995 Trek 950 MTB - my commuter with Nashbar zipon bag
1999 Bianchi Veloce - sweet road ride - but bit heavy
2001 Gerry Fisher Sugar 3 - mtb ride that is great
2007 Scattante CFR Elite - my newest addition

Cilfton - curious who do you work for?
Old 08-08-08, 06:21 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a freight biker. I ride about six miles to my first pick, less than three miles from my last drop to home when it works out right.
Old 08-09-08, 12:10 AM
VeloBusDriver

Bikes: Brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bus driver for King County Metro in Seattle. I drive split shifts and live close to work so I get to commute twice!
Old 08-09-08, 07:13 AM
HuffyMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mechanical Engineer here but that's where it stops. I program industrial control systems (PLC/DCS)for the past 16 years and have added robots in the last few years. Two more years left on development of my "girl" robot.....
Old 08-09-08, 08:23 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Professional portrait/wedding photographer, Master of Photography degree from Professional Photographers of America. Have had my own studio for nearly 30 years.
Studio and home are in a rural area. Shortest route from home to work is 6 and 2/3 miles, but I often take a longer route, to get in 15 to 20 miles RT. When I want a more relaxed ride, I'll take one of the side dirt roads. When I'm trying to rack up the miles, I stay on pavement.
Morning rides I take fairly easy depending on weather, so I don't get too hot and sweaty. Carry a bag with fresh clothes to change into when I get to work. If I get too sweaty, I can wash up in a sink. One evening I work late, so sometimes have to use lights for trip back home.
No, I don't bike to weddings.
Old 08-09-08, 09:18 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Professor. Keep bike in my office. Bringing bikes into the building is officially a no-no but almost nobody knows this or cares.

Commute is only 1.5 miles each way. Baby wipes + change of clothes in office.
Old 08-09-08, 10:21 AM
EliteTempleton
MTB Commuter

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B Piddy
Wow. Quite a few technical professional folks here.

I work for an electric utility. Power plant project engineer, mechanical engineer by degree. Spend most of my days monitoring and brainstorming ways to help our coal-fired power plants hold their farts in. Basically, the DNR and EPA keep me busy. Commute 6.5 miles one way.
IT Analyst at an Electric & Natrual Gas utility. I spend my 8 hours taking calls from folks like Piddy, I think he represents my average caller, except of course the commuting via bicycle part. I also get calls from the lineman, mechanics, VIP's(Company CEO types) and their secretaries, call center reps who have to take calls from external customers. It gets pretty interesting having to switch mentalities with each call, especially when going straight from one call where one of the lineman(for example) often will use some words/language I cannot post to describe some bad software they must use and then switching to the CEO's secretary where everything is very professional.

I also agree, having this job is why I found this forum and also why I have the time to post on it.

However, thats just what I do to pay the bills, for a living I hunt, have a couple of chickens, garden, etc. Sadly I am unable to pay my bills with Eggs and Tomatoes...
Old 08-09-08, 10:53 AM
Thorinos
I'm not a newbie!

Bikes: Devinci Destination 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a undergraduate student in Computer Engineering. 6 km from my home.

I also work as a programmer in a major video game company here in Quebec. Less than 2 km .

I also do lots of weekend trip in the summer and I'm planning a big trip next summer in Europe (on my bike) when I'll graduate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.