Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike weight limits?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike weight limits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 07:14 PM
shibidibi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike weight limits?

Is there a common weight limit for bikes?

I'm a pretty heavy guy. about 315 pounds. I'd really like to get a bike so I can exercise and get some of this weight off. But I'm afraid I'll end up breaking the bike in the process.

I went and checked some bikes last night. I pulled down one that looked interesting and was priced in my range (I can only spend about 100 dollars on a bike). The tires felt very firm. I assumed they were totally aired up. I sit on the bike and totally flatten the tires. This particular bike has some sort of compressed air cylinder meant to act like a shock. When I sat on the bike, this cylinder seemed to almost be maxed out.

Am I going to be able to find a bike for 100 dollars that will hold me up?
Old 07-02-08, 07:24 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely NOT!!!

The CLOSEST you might get to a suitable $100 bike is a used bike; even then, you'll need to look at something built for hard duty, maybe like a dirt jumper. I say this seriously -- good luck.

Truth is, quality costs. Save more, for your own ultimate good.

(BTW -- please don't tell me you went to Wal-Mart...!?!)
Old 07-02-08, 07:31 PM
shibidibi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. I won't tell you that I went to WalMart.

I think the place I went to was called Wals-Mart. Or something like that.

I don't really know where to look for a good bike. In my younger days I used to really love my bikes. Got great exercise. When I was little, my bike offered the kind of a freedom that my first car offered me when I was 17.

There are a few bike shops around here. I will check on used bikes.
Old 07-02-08, 07:33 PM
jrafael

Bikes: Ridgeback 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a bike expert by any means, so far from what I have read, a good steel alloy + good wheels (no less than 36 spokes on the rear) its all you need.

I also read that do to our big "muscles" front and/or rear suspensions are not recommended.

Big Clyde here, 5'10" 345lbs

My ride is an old Trek 820, (my cousin rescued from a dumpster).

I replace the original Trek tires with Bontrager comfort with puncture protection 26" x 1.95. I keep them at 45psi, front and rear wheels are 36 spokes.

I ride every day (car broke down) avg about 50 miles a week.

So far its all good, Loosing weight + riding + saving money = priceless.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/...592abe.jpg?v=0

Last edited by jrafael; 07-02-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 07:37 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The shock in the rear is something you do not need. Your best bet is a used, rigid mountain bike. It'll have stronger wheels, stronger components, and a stronger frame. If you end up going to Wally World, look for a hybrid type bike, one without shocks. Shocks are really your enemy at your purchase price. Put slick tires on it, and you'll be ready. Good Luck
Old 07-02-08, 07:37 PM
tdister
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure where you are, but craigslist.com is probably your best bet. It seems fewer and fewer bike shops deal with used bikes. Look for something without shocks, front or rear. In your price range, they are nothing but trouble.

Maybe look for a hybrid or a fully rigid mountain bike to start off with. Go for a lower end name brand bike, don't take a Huffy, Next or Roadmaster type bike.

If you list your local, some here might help you look at your nearest craigslist for something suitable...

How tall are you?

Also, be sure to check out the Clydesdale section of the Bike forums for lots of good reading.

Last edited by tdister; 07-02-08 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 08:32 PM
shibidibi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Wichita, KS

I'm 5'11"
Old 07-02-08, 08:58 PM
tdister
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a whole lot there, eh? Look for something in the 19-20" range (large size frame). There is a trek 820 that would work if it were a little bigger.

I would try to save up a few extra bucks to apply towards the purchase, even if it's just to apply towards some slick tires for a mountain bike.

Good luck
Old 07-02-08, 11:12 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For the most part, the limiting factor in terms of weight bearing capacity of a bicycle rests with the wheels and tires. When a bike is overloaded, spokes will start to break and tires will get what are known as "pinch flats" if they are not properly inflated. Normal aluminum and steel frames seldom fail under normal use even when the rider is "gravitationally enhanced."

But... If you get a bike with well built wheels that have 36 spokes, and get tires that have the highest rated psi for their size, then you should be in good shape.
Old 07-03-08, 04:41 AM
Sledbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you get stuck with a rear shock bike you can always "STUD" it get a piece of steel or aluminum drill it across and bolt it to where the shock would be.