Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Microshift triple shifter misery

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 08:14 PM
stringmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am trying to replace the front down tube friction shifter on my Basso Loto 1990s road bike with a Microshift sb-r473 shifter brake unit (7x3). The bike was originally double front. Crankset is a Campag Racing T 52 39 30 triple, FD is a Shimano 105 RD5604, chain is old but not worn. It shifted perfectly with the down tube shifter.
The shifter has 4 positions. Shifting to position 2 pushes the chain against the middle chain ring but does not shift. Shifting to position 3 does the shift but trim is bad such that there is cage rub when on any of the three inner rear cogs. Also, cannot shift from big to middle chain ring- goes from big to small.
I have tried many variations of derailleur height, angle, limit screw settings, cable tension. Cage is close to the chain rings and cannot be raised any higher on the braze on mount. Cables and housing are new. Parts are lubed. Chain line is OK, though might be a little crank out.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jim
Old 08-28-22, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
You might have just mixed too many different brands together! It's always easier when all the components are from the same brand.

If you've checked to be certain all the parts are compatible with each other then everything else is installation issues. Either it is installed wrong or the things unique to that frame design just won't let them work together.

Might need to confirm what your front DR is. A RD-xxxx in Shimano speak is a rear derailleur. And I don't find a 5604 listed for either front or rear in their lookup. Shimano is good about putting the part number on their stuff. It's probably stamped in the metal somewhere on the backside. Might have to take it off to see it. Regardless, are you certain it's a 3x DR?

Last edited by Iride01; 08-28-22 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-28-22, 09:52 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Typically positions 2 and 3 are trim positions for the middle chain ring. It should only shift to the large ring on the third click, or fourth position. You don't mention the fourth position in your post.

Make sure the cable is landed on the FD correctly. It should be routed over a tab. If it's wrapped too close to the pinch bolt, you'll get the wrong pull ratio and it will shift too far per click.
Old 08-28-22, 01:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If I read this correctly, the only change you made were the Microshift shifters. With the FD-5604 and the friction shifters there was no issue with the FD setup as far as height or direction or limit screws. If you can get back to where you started with the FD, when it worked perfectly, that would be the first step.

It sounds like the shifter is not pulling enough cable. This could be due to improper cable routing, as previously mentioned.

If the FD cage is not moving enough, it could be too much cable slack or the routing. You might want to back out the high limit screw slightly to eliminate any impact.

Make sure you understand the click to shift/trim sequence.

John
Old 08-28-22, 03:00 PM
stringmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If I read this correctly, the only change you made were the Microshift shifters. With the FD-5604 and the friction shifters there was no issue with the FD setup as far as height or direction or limit screws. If you can get back to where you started with the FD, when it worked perfectly, that would be the first step.

It sounds like the shifter is not pulling enough cable. This could be due to improper cable routing, as previously mentioned.

If the FD cage is not moving enough, it could be too much cable slack or the routing. You might want to back out the high limit screw slightly to eliminate any impact.

Make sure you understand the click to shift/trim sequence.

John

Thanks for the replies!
The FD is a Shimano 106 FD5504 with braze on mount. Sorry for the confusion.
The shift to the outer ring is fine.
It is interesting to learn the second position is intended for trim, not to shift from inner to middle. I will re-adjust with that in mind.
Thanks
Jim