Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First S24O this weekend. Am I overthinking it?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

First S24O this weekend. Am I overthinking it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 06:28 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
As far as relaxing when going to sleep...
- When I've ridden enough distance that also helps
- Be careful to avoid having and food in the tent
- Past experience with bears has been during the days generally indicated they want to avoid people where they can; One occasion in Yukon Territory where I had cycled in from Haines Alaska on my way to Haines Junction. During the day, I saw multiple bears running away on my ride. That evening I camped in a provincial campground. The trash cans were bear proof but they didn't have lockers. I briefly thought about putting my panniers in one of the trash cans underneath the trash bags - but figured my luck would be this is the time they would get thrown away. So I parked my bicycle and panniers a good distance from the tent. Overnight, I slept soundly and didn't hear a thing. However, in the morning, something had ripped open my pannier and put considerable scratches on a plastic peanut butter container - as well as some gashes into an apple. I had safety pins to hold the pannier together. I don't know for certain that it was a bear - but surmise it was one.
- Different occasion in Texas State park, I had what I assume was raccoons have a field day with a box of pop tarts I had left on a picnic table. Again didn't hear it, but box and some remnants dragged into nearby woods.

Been fortunate so far - but try to be extra careful with food - and otherwise rely on these animals mostly avoiding people if they can.
Likes For mev:
Old 09-27-22, 07:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I've always slept well in camp when touring, backpacking, canoe camping or whatever. As far as bears go follow good camping practices wrt food and scented products and don't worry. I will confess that I have on ocasion had it pass my mind that just maybe my choice of a bug net bivy and not pitching a tarp was iffy when I had heard that a bear had been visiting every site in the meadow or clearing I was camped in. I still nooded off okay and slept well though.

As far as noise I generally sleep okay with whatever. I might wake up but nod right off. Truck traffic, trains, barred owls (we have a pair that tend to hang out over our patio at home so I am used to them), whatever.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-27-22, 01:00 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Looks like a nice bag. I'd use something like that for winter camping when it is really cold (XC skiing? Snowshoeing?), but it is more bag than I'd probably ever tour with. Some folks sleep a lot colder than I do though or maybe tour in real winter weather.

​​​​​​Yep, I'm definitely a "cold sleeper" then. I'm naturally skinny, plus have chronic arthritis, primarily in my knees.

Besides that, there are way more mountains out West here, than in Florida, lol. 😉 Coming back South last time, a CHiP officer made me get off of I-5, due to road conditions, and take the county roads. Just South of Yreka a bit (near Mt. Shasta), I got snowed on good, and was darn glad I had this bag, plus a different cheap tent. 🙂

Which is also why I tend to carry a lot of food & water, compared to some of youse. Plus I'm just always eating anyways, lol. 😁😉
Old 09-27-22, 02:18 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
​​​​​​Besides that, there are way more mountains out West here, than in Florida, lol.
I've only been here in Florida for several years. I lived most of my life in Maryland. Most of my tours have at least started out in the west. Much of my backpacking has been in the western mountains as well. I've never been inclined to tour much close to home.