Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

40 mph road. street or sidewalk?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 05:31 AM
smurray

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Steamroller, Panasonic DX-3000, Trek 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to start commuting to fall on my SS bike, and have a question about the best way for me to ride. I teach at a school that's a fairly short distance away, maybe 2 miles. To get there however I have to ride on two very busy roads (especially in the mornings). The roads have two lanes going each direction plus a turn lane in the middle. The speed limit is 40mph, though I'd say the good majority of people go at least 50. There's no shoulder. Should I still attempt to ride in the street? I know it's not illegal here, as the law says if the speed limit is 40 or higher you can ride on the sidewalk. Just wanted some outside input before I made my decision.
Old 06-12-12, 05:35 AM
benda18

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
context? alternative routes? i would need to know more before making a decision, but leaning strongly towards taking a lane given the information you've provided so far.

can you post your route in GMaps?
Old 06-12-12, 05:43 AM
KZBrian

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
As long as you stay visible, you are normally safer on the street. The majority of car/bike accidents in this area are bikers on the sidewalk being hit by vehicles exiting driveways and parking lots. Intersections are also problematic on the sidewalk for a biker. If drivers check the sidewalk before they cross it, they don't look far enough to see a 15mph bike. A sidewalk with few intersections or driveways could be fine.
Old 06-12-12, 05:46 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smurray
I'm going to start commuting to fall on my SS bike, and have a question about the best way for me to ride. I teach at a school that's a fairly short distance away, maybe 2 miles. To get there however I have to ride on two very busy roads (especially in the mornings). The roads have two lanes going each direction plus a turn lane in the middle. The speed limit is 40mph, though I'd say the good majority of people go at least 50. There's no shoulder. Should I still attempt to ride in the street? I know it's not illegal here, as the law says if the speed limit is 40 or higher you can ride on the sidewalk. Just wanted some outside input before I made my decision.
What is the sidewalk like? Empty or full of pedestrians? If you ride the sidewalk are you prepared to keep your speed down and check parking lots for cars going out every time you cross a drive? Are you prepared to keep an eye on the street for cars turning in? And on the sidewalk you should yield to EVERYTHING. Some sidewalks are a workable alternative to heavy fast street traffic and some are not. Riding on the sidewalk is as safe or dangerous as you make it.

Don in Austin
Old 06-12-12, 05:47 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KZBrian
As long as you stay visible, you are normally safer on the street. The majority of car/bike accidents in this area are bikers on the sidewalk being hit by vehicles exiting driveways and parking lots. Intersections are also problematic on the sidewalk for a biker. If drivers check the sidewalk before they cross it, they don't look far enough to see a 15mph bike. A sidewalk with few intersections or driveways could be fine.
The problems you describe are not inherent to riding on the sidewalk, they are caused by riding on the sidewalk in an unsafe manner.

Don in Austin
Old 06-12-12, 05:53 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Ride to Be Safe..

Old 06-12-12, 06:06 AM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
What is the sidewalk like? Empty or full of pedestrians? If you ride the sidewalk are you prepared to keep your speed down and check parking lots for cars going out every time you cross a drive? Are you prepared to keep an eye on the street for cars turning in? And on the sidewalk you should yield to EVERYTHING. Some sidewalks are a workable alternative to heavy fast street traffic and some are not. Riding on the sidewalk is as safe or dangerous as you make it.

Don in Austin
This is true. I use a sidewalk in on part of town that is a one way street. it is only 2 blocks long but i slow way down and just take my time.
Old 06-12-12, 06:14 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First of all, LIGHTS, front and rear. Daytime be blinky.. IMO, lights are very important on busy roads. Lights make it possible that you are seen. On the two lanes going in one direction, if it were me, I would take the full curb lane. Stay in the middle of that lane, so nobody does one of those 1 foot or less passes at 50+mph....

Don't of if this is proper or not, but sometimes on dual double lane roads, with a center turn lane, I use that lane when possible. Again, let me stress the HIGH IMPORTANCE of good lights. You can feel the speed of something passing you at 40mph+, but most likely, they will be doing 50mph+ or even 60. That kind of speed is no joke. So, if somebody claims don't run bright lights, the alternative is, after the contact, "oh I didn't see you"...

Luck to you..,
Old 06-12-12, 06:15 AM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If possible, I'd look for another route even if it were longer. If not, as others have said it depends on the sidewalk conditions. If they are empty and there are very few driveways/parking lots/et cetera I would probably take the sidewalk and be prepared, as Don in Austin wrote "to keep your speed down and check parking lots for cars going out every time you cross a drive."
Old 06-12-12, 06:42 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's up to you. It depends on the situation and you are the one that is there and can judge traffic, driver attitude, number of cars on the road, number of pedestrians on the sidewalk, and your own skills.

Personally I ride on roads with no shoulders with 60MPH drivers, but the traffic is generally pretty light, a dozen cars a minute or so at worst, and there is no sidewalk, so my situation is not comparable. By the time I get to town where there is a sidewalk, there's also a turn lane and drivers can use that to go around me, or just stay in the lane, the lane is quite wide.
Old 06-12-12, 07:38 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It may sound obvious or dumb but there's a tactic that helped me which didn't occur to me for months.

I have about a half mile on a road like that, narrow with high speeds and two lanes each direction. Since you encounter two such roads in only two miles, it may be similarly short but hairy. Anyway, instead of following with traffic on the road I simply wait at the light at a right turn entering the road! I stay out of the way while waiting so that right turners from behind can go around, and only go when the cross traffic has red - I can get the whole half mile to my turnoff ahead of traffic. Even going straight through (instead of turning right onto the road) you could do the same thing by going through the intersection and simply stopping at the cross street at the right turn position.

Though to be honest I don't do that when riding a couple of miles on that street; I ride with traffic and they go around me. But always, when I enter it on the right I just wait for the red even if it's clear.
Old 06-12-12, 08:06 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
The problems you describe are not inherent to riding on the sidewalk, they are caused by riding on the sidewalk in an unsafe manner.

Don in Austin
Except in most places in the country, riding on sidewalks is illegal. Most states consider bicycles as vehicles.

People use sidewalks to "walk." Depending on where you live, sidewalks can be filled with kids and elderly people. You run the risk of injuring them and yourselfs.

There's nothing unsafe about riding on a road with a 40 mph speedlimit if you are careful and seen through bright clothes and lights as it gets dark.
Old 06-12-12, 08:12 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I ride on sidewalk only when absolutely necessary. and from the description you give of your route, it may not be absolutely necessary. Riding on the sidewalk can be done safely, but in most cases, this is accomplished by going slowly.
Old 06-12-12, 08:44 AM
umazuki

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My problem with "40MPH" roads is the speed of traffic is usually 55-60. You do indeed have the right (and responsibility) to ride on the road - but then again, you can be dead right, and still dead.

That said, I avoid those roads entirely. You're probably thinking like a driver, who asks "what is the shortest and fastest possible route?" You should think like a cyclist - "what is the safest and most pleasant route?"
Old 06-12-12, 08:44 AM
sternzeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The longest leg of my commute is 2 miles on a busy two lane road with a 45mph speed limit. The real speed is closer to 50 or 55. I have no choice but to take the lane as there is no shoulder. It was very unsettling at first but I soon got used to vehicles passing me. My biggest concern is not so much getting hit, but for the vehicles passing me. They tend to try and move around me when there is a car in the oncoming lane. I've seen several close calls where the vehicle passing me came way too close to causing a head on collision. If this unthinkable event every happens right before my eyes I'm sure someone will try to blame it on me for being there.
Old 06-12-12, 09:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
At 16mph on a SS, 2 miles is roughly 7.5 mins. I wouldn't even worry about it and just ride in the street.

Two lanes on each side even gives the car space to pass without encroaching into the lane for oncoming traffic. In addition, the turning lane is present.
Old 06-12-12, 09:22 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers but still. You need to commute 2 miles on a bicycle? Youre a grown, educated man. What's the big deal? What does look more risky TO YOU. In that, yours, particular situation, on that particular stretch of road? Know any near, longer but better roads? No? Make your choice, find what works for you.
Old 06-12-12, 09:28 AM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you share the road without riding in the gutter? If you are three feet from the curb, and drivers can pass you with three feet clearance without entering the turn lanes, I'd ride on the road for sure. Have you tripled checked for all alternate routes? The bicycle option on Google Maps can sometimes find great alternative roads that you haven't considered yet. I'd much rather find a quieter residential road anyway than have to ride on a arterial street.
Old 06-12-12, 09:39 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If possible, find a longer but safer route. This is a win-win. You get in more riding time, plus you ride safer. My bike commute route is several miles longer than the route I drive to work. I would much rather ride some extra miles than ride a shorter but more dangerous route.
Old 06-12-12, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Issue on the sidewalk, particularly if 'salmon-ing' against reaffic flow,
is they don't see you if they are looking at the oncoming traffic,
for a hole to jump into.

You may have to stop and let them go, ring your loud bell,
or slap the side of the car to get them to turn their head to see you.
Old 06-12-12, 12:00 PM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Except in most places in the country, riding on sidewalks is illegal. Most states consider bicycles as vehicles.
Is this really true? Does anyone have any studies/articles/etc. that show this too be true in the states? I know it is not true in the states I have lived in and a quick peak at the laws of 5 states found that in none of them that I checked (California, Texas, New Jersey, New York, Virginia) is there a state-wide ban. Also, I've come across very few municipalities that ban it. I am sure that many major cities do, but I do not think it is safe or accurate to say that in most places it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk.

Mind you, I am not saying it is wise, safe, or in any other was a good idea (in most cases), but I think the idea that it is illegal in most places in the USA is an urban myth.

Regardless, the OP checked and found that it was not illegal were he asked about so in this particular case it is a red herring.
Old 06-12-12, 09:08 PM
cycronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if it's technically illegal in many places, it is likely unenforced. I doubt police in most places would bother ticketing a cyclist on a sidewalk unless said cyclist was riding recklessly or stupidly. In situations where cars must move around a cyclist on a road, the motorists have control over how safe the situation is. On the sidewalk, the cyclist has control. Really, then, what is preferable to the cyclist? I'm not saying it's safer to ride on sidewalks all the time... if there is room for a bike on roads, roads are safer. But it frankly seems obtuse to suggest the opposite, that roads are always safer, no matter the specifics regarding how much room there is for bikes.

To the OP... you have a couple of months before you start commuting... why not go out during non peak hours on your off days and experiment with different routes. It shouldn't be hard to find one that you feel comfortable with.
Old 06-12-12, 09:37 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yo, Teach- care to clarify the bolded part for me??

I won't tell you whether you should take the lane or the sidewalk. Pros/cons for each, though the legallity lends itself more favorably to using the road. Just invest in some good lights- especially in the rear. You want to give the people coming from behind as much time to notice and react to your presense as possible.
Old 06-12-12, 10:13 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I'd ride in the street if there are any intersecting roads or drive ways.

You're _much_ more likely to be hit riding across a drive way or side-street than you are from behind on the road, especially if you're traveling the opposite direction from car traffic.

Car drivers are generally oblivious to bicycle-speed traffic on side-walks (or bike paths running alongside the main road) and bikes travelling in the opposite direction from traffic are effectively invisible.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-12-12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 12:14 AM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without reading any other posts, my answer would be to take an alternate route, unless there's enough room for a bike in the lane with traffic despite having no dedicated bike lane. Riding on the expressway everyday (45+MPH -- many do upwards of 60), I can't imagine subjecting myself to the possibility of being nailed while taking the lane. I would simply avoid the whole mess if possible if I couldn't safely ride alongside traffic at those speeds.

Last edited by rex_kramer; 06-13-12 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Missed some info on the # of lanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.