Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mu p24 vs. Tern P24 vs. Dahon Formula s18

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 08:52 PM
worksofman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi to all.
New to folders, used to bike quite a bit, but it's been awhile. I've been missing that particular joy... it's time to jump back in. I've lurked, and looked, and digested what I could. Any insights would be great.

Why a folder:
Both my fiancee and I travel around the country by vehicle a lot for work (we're both artists, and sell primarily at outdoor art shows) - sometimes we're traveling together, sometimes not. We want the bikes with us, for wandering around whatever the next city or place we're in. We also are trying to travel a bit more out of country - and want the bikes with us there, too, hopefully do some touring. We both work at home, so in-town it's not any type of real commuting, just having fun around town and getting places.

Our sizes:
Mr. and Mrs. Average. I''m 5'9" 160-165 lbs, she's 5'4" 125-140 lbs.

Why I want so many gears:
We live in Pittsburgh. On top of a hill. Plenty of other hills to ride up to as well. Plus, I still want to be able to go fast, looking to start having fun on some of the rail-to-trail rides (we can ride all the way to DC from here - wahoo!)

I'd be buying two bikes, one for each of us, she's willing to go with what I am, although she's concerned a bit more on the money level. All three are perhaps a bit above my budget, but I'd rather have a bit more debt and bikes that are reliable and we're happy with.

Both the p24's seem fairly equal, although I'm more interested in the Tern. It feels like Tern is a bit more intent on improvement, and the Tern has the more adjustable Andros stem). They both seem extremely versatile, very jack-of-all-trades.

The Dahon Formula s18 - It's probably pushing the budget too much. I just sort of love that it's 4-5 pounds less. Add in the disc brakes (seems I've heard a bit about Dahons not always stopping all that well) and what appears to be an overall upgrade in components (I much prefer click shifters, but again, it's been awhile) and it feels exciting. Even if I added in the oft-needed fenders, the weight is less. Not sure if this bike is a bit less suitable if we manage to be touring around for three months.

I recognize one bike can't be everything, but I'm trying to do what I can within my budget. Bike Fridays look great, but at this price point don't seem to offer as much. I looked at both Origami and Downtube, and both seem great for their price, but I would prefer start with very good components rather than ones that are decent. I already work for myself, I don't really have time to build/rebuild my bike.

If I was hit by a bag of money right now, I'd go for the Tern S11i.

Long post... anyone out there have some thoughts? I'm pretty ready to go on this, but would love to know what I'm missing.

Thanks for any help!
Matthew

(edit and p.s. -- sorry for another "which bike to buy" post. I'm hoping I was specific enough that this might be beneficial to someone else. I'll make up for it with decent posts as we go along...)

Last edited by worksofman; 05-30-13 at 10:13 PM. Reason: a general apology
Old 05-30-13, 09:37 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by worksofman
Hi to all.
New to folders, used to bike quite a bit, but it's been awhile. I've been missing that particular joy... it's time to jump back in. I've lurked, and looked, and digested what I could. Any insights would be great.

Why a folder:
Both my fiancee and I travel around the country by vehicle a lot - sometimes together, sometimes not. We want the bikes with us, for wandering around whatever the next city or place we're in. We also are trying to travel a bit more out of country - and want the bikes with us there, too, hopefully do some touring. We both work at home, so in-town it's not any type of real commuting, just having fun around town and getting places.

Our sizes:
Mr. and Mrs. Average. I''m 5'9" 160-165 lbs, she's 5'4" 125-140 lbs.

Why I want so many gears:
We live in Pittsburgh. On top of a hill. Plenty of other hills to ride up to as well. Plus, I still want to be able to go fast, looking to start having fun on some of the rail-to-trail rides (we can ride all the way to DC from here - wahoo!)

I'd be buying two bikes, one for each of us, she's willing to go with what I am, although she's concerned a bit more on the money level. All three are perhaps a bit above my budget, but I'd rather have a bit more debt and bikes that are reliable and we're happy with.

Both the p24's seem fairly equal, although I'm more interested in the Tern. It feels like Tern is a bit more intent on improvement, and the Tern has the more adjustable Andros stem). They both seem extremely versatile, very jack-of-all-trades.

The Dahon Formula s18 - It's probably pushing the budget too much. I just sort of love that it's 4-5 pounds less. Add in the disc brakes (seems I've heard a bit about Dahons not always stopping all that well) and what appears to be an overall upgrade in components (I much prefer click shifters, but again, it's been awhile) and it feels exciting. Even if I added in the oft-needed fenders, the weight is less. Not sure if this bike is a bit less suitable if we manage to be touring around for three months.

I recognize one bike can't be everything, but I'm trying to do what I can within my budget. Bike Fridays look great, but at this price point don't seem to offer as much. I looked at both Origami and Downtube, and both seem great for their price, but I would prefer start with very good components rather than ones that are decent. I already work for myself, I don't really have time to build/rebuild my bike.

If I was hit by a bag of money right now, I'd go for the Tern S11i.

Long post... anyone out there have some thoughts? I'm pretty ready to go on this, but would love to know what I'm missing.

Thanks for any help!
Matthew

(edit and p.s. -- sorry for another "which bike to buy" post. I'm hoping I was specific enough that this might be beneficial to someone else. I'll make up for it with decent posts as we go along...)
Listen to your Mrs. and go low end and use the savings to travel. Low end bikes like the Dahon Speed P8 is the sweet spot. More speed does not mean easier ride up hill. LOWER GEARS is more important. And the Speed P8 has a low enough gear to climb most hills.
Old 05-30-13, 09:55 PM
worksofman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Pacificcyclist -
I do understand the gearing, and that low gears are good for hills. I wanted the higher gears for more speed when NOT on the hills, and when I'm just wanting to push some milage (i.e. getting to DC).

That said - the Speed P8 does look interesting. (Pittsburgh is pretty serious on the hills, though...)

Thanks for the thought.
Old 05-30-13, 11:44 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Pacificcyclist -
I do understand the gearing, and that low gears are good for hills. I wanted the higher gears for more speed when NOT on the hills, and when I'm just wanting to push some milage (i.e. getting to DC).

That said - the Speed P8 does look interesting. (Pittsburgh is pretty serious on the hills, though...)

Thanks for the thought.
97" on the Speed P8 and 111" on the P24; both can get you really fast as long as you have the lungs of Lance Armstrong without doping. Those are pretty serious top gear you need strength to push that. If you do have the strength, than a 33" gear is low enough for steep hills. That's what I am saying. Otherwise, you are paying high gears for show.

If you are looking for more speed, you are looking at the "wrong" bikes. You ought to be looking at the Tern Verge series, especially the X10, X20 or the X30h. The S11i is a behemoth beast due to the Alfine 11 hub. It's just not as light and nimble as the Tern Verge X10 or X20 or as aero as the X30h. I'm just saying that if you're wasting money to go into debt, at least be smart and get the fastest bike.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 05-30-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 10:29 AM
gilaasepeda

Bikes: "26" kona kula watt team carbon, "700c" colnago CLX, "700" colnago c59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for me dahon visc p18 i bet is ligther at hilly compare dahon p24
Old 06-02-13, 09:31 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would go with the Tern since it has the 1 piece handlepost and better hinges.
The Formula's discs are nice but not worth $400 more unless you plan to ride in rain a lot or swap wheels often.
That $400 could be used to drop weight off the Tern.
Old 06-03-13, 08:10 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the p24 Dahon and Tern are the same price, I would go for the Tern because of the upgraded hinges which is something you cannot change unless you buy another bike. Also Tern "might" have better long term support on parts, I'm not sure if it's proven yet by anyone if they can get some tiny part they broke. But if you take Thor out of the equation here, most of the Dahon owners here would be been really having a fun time getting a simple part that broke on their bike.
Old 06-03-13, 09:00 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'd probably go with the Tern - seems the most versatile given your needs. If you have the money and think you will need to fold the bike a lot, Brompton would be the way to go, but they are more expensive. Brompton offers reduced gearing that should get you up most hills.
Old 06-03-13, 09:59 AM
worksofman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled the tigger on the Terns, I agree so much about the upgraded hinge. Honestly if it's raining - i'm probably inside, because I don't need to ride in the rain on purpose... so I can live without the discs. It had been occurring to me that I could probably drop some weight off the Tern later. Have to pay off the card before any upgrades start, though!

I think I'll have a versatile bike that I'll love, in my price range.

I'll update after I've put some miles on it.

thanks for your answers, all.
Old 06-03-13, 10:41 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It had been occurring to me that I could probably drop some weight off the Tern later. Have to pay off the card before any upgrades start, though!
Debt is a wonderful invention!

Yes, please do post your thoughts, photos, and observations after you've had a chance to really use the bike.