Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Upgrade. Carbon vs Alum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Handlebar Upgrade. Carbon vs Alum

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 10:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
been thinking about changing the bars over to CF on the Domane, but what holds that up are all the other tasks involved to do it. Just cannot justify the change when everything is wrapped & positioned where I want it all now.

If you're in the market for some handle bars, I'd go CF. My other cycle has CF & I will miss riding it just for that feature.
Yea, when I did mine, I waited until I knew it was time to replace the bar tape, then I did my search, found the best pricing, and had everything ready to go.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-06-22, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Just checked and a set of Zipp alloy bars and carbon in the same series were within 20g of each other - 240-260g range. Roughly 0.04 lb difference. This used to be true with alloy being the lighter now it seems to be the opposite. Regardless at 20g it's negligible. Cost. shape and durability are really the only differences. Again I do understand that integrated bars/stems drop the weight by a lot.
I think it's big bike -- they needed more differentiation between CF and alloy to justify big price hikes on the CF options.
Basically all bars are heavier than they used to be able to be. A Zipp SL carbon bar in 2006 was about 165g.
Old 02-06-22, 11:09 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by beeballman
So I am looking at upgrading my current Oval Alum handle bars to something more aero. Almost everything on my Fuji has been upgraded. I am looking at the Easton SL70 Aero Carbon or The Zipp SR70 Aero Carbon, but I also found The Bontrager Aero VR-CF Road Bar, the later looks promising just a little heavier than the first two choices but also 1/3 the price because they are not carbon. Leaning to the Bontrager because it has room to mount my Quad Lock mount. Thoughts? Are Carbon bars worth the money?
So after two rides on the new bars: I can tell a definite difference in the vibrations on the road are noticeably better under the carbon bars than the aluminum bars they replaced. Good solid feel, and comfortable.
Likes For beeballman:
Old 02-07-22, 03:16 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think it's big bike -- they needed more differentiation between CF and alloy to justify big price hikes on the CF options.
Basically all bars are heavier than they used to be able to be. A Zipp SL carbon bar in 2006 was about 165g.
It's funny because i remember the opposite. All carbon bars were heavier than comparable alloy bars. Maybe back in '06 that wasn't the case but I feel like from '10 on it definitely was the case. I sat there so many times wondering why anyone would ever buy carbon for bars. Now it seems like they are the same to slightly lighter so meh. Still not something I am running out to put on a bike that has a high potential of hitting the deck.

Old 02-07-22, 03:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 1,800 Posts
The case for carbon fiber bars is stronger than the case for carbon fiber frames.
Old 02-07-22, 03:43 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The case for carbon fiber bars is stronger than the case for carbon fiber frames.
Oh? This I would like to hear.

From my point of view carbon frames are markedly lighter than Alloy frames.
They are way more repairable than alloy frames
Pricing - they really aren't much more expensive at the lower end at all and we can always argue the higher end is expensive because of marketing and price pointing.

Old 02-07-22, 06:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
It's funny because i remember the opposite. All carbon bars were heavier than comparable alloy bars. Maybe back in '06 that wasn't the case but I feel like from '10 on it definitely was the case. I sat there so many times wondering why anyone would ever buy carbon for bars. Now it seems like they are the same to slightly lighter so meh. Still not something I am running out to put on a bike that has a high potential of hitting the deck.
Really!? The Zipp Contour SL (SS) CF handlebar (42 cm C-C) I previously bought (in 2019) is < 200 g, and the Deda Elementi Superleggera CF handlebar (44 cm O-O) I just ordered (thanks WhyFi) is also supposed to be < 200 g.

That said, there are also quite a few CF "aerodynamic" handlebars which are > 200 g, some almost 250 g, which gets very close to a lightweight alloy bar.
Old 02-07-22, 06:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Just for kicks another datapoint. A 2005 Easton EA70 handlebar was 225g; today Comp Cyclist shows the weight for same nominal model at 280g.
Old 02-07-22, 08:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Oh? This I would like to hear.

From my point of view carbon frames are markedly lighter than Alloy frames.
They are way more repairable than alloy frames
Pricing - they really aren't much more expensive at the lower end at all and we can always argue the higher end is expensive because of marketing and price pointing.
You will doubtless be appalled to hear that the alloy frame material I had in mind is steel, and what I had in mind for comparison was ride comfort.
Old 02-08-22, 12:02 AM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
You will doubtless be appalled to hear that the alloy frame material I had in mind is steel, and what I had in mind for comparison was ride comfort.
Despite it being rather strange to refer to steel as being an alloy frame I will say that carbon can out perform steel (alloy) or aluminium (alloy) in every respect if it is designed to do so.
Old 02-08-22, 11:18 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Well I'd sharpen your doubt sensors then as you should have doubted my appall..ness..es.
Steel is great. Always has been but it truly is just left for a tiny market segment on the high end or for the throngs of Bicycle Shaped Objects (BSOs) on the lowest end. It's a bit like saying, "You think traveling by airplane is neat then I'm going to blow your mind with going by sailboat."

Because of where it dropped to steel seems to be harder to find, more expensive than carbon if we are talking something nice, and less repairable (only from the standpoint of finding someone with the skill, knowledge and time to repair it correctly) than carbon.

As for ride comfort - that's subjective. I am more comfortable on a bone shaker stiff as possible crit bike with steep angles than I am on a lay-z-boy cruiser with soft steel. I totally understand how for some they want the most muted feel possible. It's why those old Cadillacs drove like boats. Sail boats you might even say.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-09-22, 03:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Dean V
Despite it being rather strange to refer to steel as being an alloy frame I will say that carbon can out perform steel (alloy) or aluminium (alloy) in every respect if it is designed to do so.
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon (and often other elements such as chromium and molybdenum).

Bronze is an alloy of copper, tin and zinc.

An alloy is defined as a mixture of metallic (and sometimes other) elements. It is not unique to aluminum, so "alloy" is not a synonym for aluminum, nor is "alu" or "alum", the latter of which is a sulphate salt of aluminum.

Aluminum (or aluminium) has a very simple and convenient IUPAC abbreviation that appears on the periodic table: Al

There is no need to invent non-standard terminology or abbreviations, and then get annoyed when someone doesn't adhere to it.

(For the record, I was suggesting that one advantage of carbon vs. aluminum alloy handlebars is that in many cases they are more comfortable, despite being more stiff, even if there isn't a significant weight advantage. Carbon frames, on the other hand, do tend to be more fragile than metallic frames, and in my very subjective opinion, more comfortable than aluminum alloy, and typically less comfortable than iron alloy. Those who don't like a bit of flex generally prefer stiffer carbon frames, but now some of those carbon frames, like Trek's Supercaliber and Domane, have flex properties engineered into them by design. Perhaps they are starting to mimic the inherent properties of steel that some people covet.)

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-09-22 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-22, 04:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon (and often other elements such as chromium and molybdenum).

An alloy is defined as a mixture of metallic (and sometimes other) elements. It is not unique to aluminum, so "alloy" is not a synonym for aluminum, nor is "alu" or "alum", the latter of which is a sulphate salt of aluminum.

Aluminum (or aluminium) has a very simple and convenient IUPAC abbreviation that appears on the periodic table: Al

There is no need to invent non-standard terminology or abbreviations, and then get annoyed when someone doesn't adhere to it.
Thank you for those definitions, Captain Pedantic. In cycling, it is widely accepted that "alloy" refers to aluminum alloy frames, "steel" refers to steel alloy frames, and "titanium" refers to titanium alloy frames. Your crusade to refer to them all as alloy frames is pointless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-09-22, 06:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Normally, I refer to them as steel, aluminum and carbon.

Alum isn't a great frame or handlebar material, but it might be helpful to staunch the bleeding of your wounded ego.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-09-22 at 06:47 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-09-22, 09:21 PM
tomato coupe

NAlum isn't a great frame or handlebar material, but it might be helpful to staunch the bleeding of your wounded ego.
Why would my ego be wounded, and how does aluminum staunch a bleeding wound?
Old 02-09-22, 09:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

(For the record, I was suggesting that one advantage of carbon vs. aluminum alloy handlebars is that in many cases they are more comfortable, despite being more stiff, even if there isn't a significant weight advantage. Carbon frames, on the other hand, do tend to be more fragile than metallic frames, and in my very subjective opinion, more comfortable than aluminum alloy, and typically less comfortable than iron alloy. Those who don't like a bit of flex generally prefer stiffer carbon frames, but now some of those carbon frames, like Trek's Supercaliber and Domane, have flex properties engineered into them by design. Perhaps they are starting to mimic the inherent properties of steel that some people covet.)
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Thank you for those definitions, Captain Pedantic. In cycling, it is widely accepted that "alloy" refers to aluminum alloy frames, "steel" refers to steel alloy frames, and "titanium" refers to titanium alloy frames. Your crusade to refer to them all as alloy frames is pointless.
And his pedantic statement is as old and about as clever as calling carbonfiber plastic.
Old 02-09-22, 10:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
...and how does aluminum staunch a bleeding wound?
Alum blocks (potassium alum) have been long used in traditional wet shaving to stop bleeding from small cuts. They're handy.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-09-22, 10:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Camilo
And his pedantic statement is as old and about as clever as calling carbonfiber plastic.
But there is one crucial difference:

Calling carbon fiber plastic is factually inaccurate.
Calling aluminum alum is factually inaccurate.
Stating that steel is not an alloy is factually inaccurate.

So the analogy applies, but opposite to the way that you presumably intended.

Oh, there should be a space in "carbonfiber", and one ought not to start a sentence with "And".
Old 02-09-22, 11:53 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

".
But calling steel an alloy is also pointless because just if it wasn't an alloy it couldn't be steel.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 02-09-22, 11:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Calling carbon fiber plastic is factually inaccurate.
Calling aluminum alum is factually inaccurate.

So the analogy applies, but opposite to the way that you presumably intended.

Oh, there should be a space in "carbonfiber", and one ought not to start a sentence with "And".
Old 02-10-22, 06:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Dean V
But calling steel an alloy is also pointless because just if it wasn't an alloy it couldn't be steel.
Why don't Ti and Aluminum Alloy materials have catchy names like 'steel' also?
Tilar and Alzine or something
Old 02-10-22, 11:47 AM
tomato coupe

[snip]

... one ought not to start a sentence with "And".
People that start sentences with "But" shouldn't complain about sentences that start with "And".
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-10-22, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Why don't Ti and Aluminum Alloy materials have catchy names like 'steel' also?
Tilar and Alzine or something
Titanium alloy does have a catchy name, but it is only revealed to true believers.
Old 02-10-22, 12:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts

bruh
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-10-22, 01:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Then of course there is the "scandium" bike frame material, which, as it turns out, is yet just another type of aluminum alloy, and a small amount of Sc is indeed included (pun intended). Scandium sounds exclusive and expensive and has snob appeal, while aluminum sounds cheap, (which is probably why people call it "alum" or "alloy"). So put a trace amount of Sc in there, and raise the price. By similar logic, that iron alloy could be sold as a carbon frame, with a Fe matrix to add fiber-like strength, but as a regular three-dimensional array for added durability.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-10-22 at 01:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.