Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle tilt?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddle tilt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 05:16 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Saddle tilt?

Feeling great about my saddle height + fore/aft. I want to dial-in the saddle tilt. I’m a committed road & gravel rider/group rider but not a racer. I do 3-5 rides a week for around 200 mile with lots of climbing on a specialized Diverge comp with their Power saddle.

what is the prevailing wisdom on setting saddle tilt?
Old 05-20-20, 07:05 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Depends on anatomy, but I prefer very slightly nose up. That has also been the advice of two different fitters, including a PT.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-20-20, 07:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Find the tilt that works for you. This will depend a good part on the seat. Many who ride traditional all leather seats like the nose up. But it also depends on you handlebar location and how much forward bend you have. I am long and shinny without a lot of power, Low bars and a good aero position make life a lot more bearable going upwind. But seats that are not nose down make my life miserable.

I consider the exact tilt probably the most critical setting on the bike. I hate seatposts with click-stops and by far favor seatposts with 2-bolt clamps where you can back off one bolt, tweak the other a tiny bit, re-tighten the first and do little tilt changes that are just as easy to undo. When setting up a bike, I set the height exactly to that of another bike with similar seat. Then get the seat close by eye and go for a ride, wrenches to adjust height and tilt in my pocket.

Ben (Edit for a funny typo)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-20-20 at 08:16 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-20-20, 08:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, there's no right answer except that it's what works for you. Fiddle with it for a while, see if you can find your magic tilt. Then measure it with a level so you can duplicate it if you need to. I like very slightly nose down on the saddles I'm using now.

A good tilt can sometimes be found by setting the saddle level, using a level. Very few saddles are totally flat. If you have one, that's simple. If you don't, look and see where your sit bones live. Try to make it level just from that point forward. While riding along normally on the flat, it's regarded as a good thing if your can, while pedaling, briefly lift your hands off the bars without sliding forward, though balance has a lot to do with that too.
Old 05-21-20, 04:49 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thank you
Old 05-21-20, 04:50 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thanks for. Your input
Old 05-21-20, 04:51 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Thanks
Old 05-21-20, 12:41 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been messing with saddle tilt a lot this year. It's been fun, in a way. What I've ended up doing is putting the similar shaped saddles I have on my three main bikes as level as I can get the front part of the saddle. It's taken some time, but this seems to be working best for me...after messing with slightly up, major up, slightly down, major down, and now level lol. Having the forward part of the saddle level I suppose gives it a look of tilted down. The three saddles are Fizik Argo Vento (main road bike), Fizik Argo Tempo (fixed gear), and Fizik Arione L (bike on trainer).
Old 06-20-20, 01:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Find the tilt that works for you. This will depend a good part on the seat. Many who ride traditional all leather seats like the nose up. But it also depends on you handlebar location and how much forward bend you have. I am long and shinny without a lot of power, Low bars and a good aero position make life a lot more bearable going upwind. But seats that are not nose down make my life miserable.

I consider the exact tilt probably the most critical setting on the bike. I hate seatposts with click-stops and by far favor seatposts with 2-bolt clamps where you can back off one bolt, tweak the other a tiny bit, re-tighten the first and do little tilt changes that are just as easy to undo. When setting up a bike, I set the height exactly to that of another bike with similar seat. Then get the seat close by eye and go for a ride, wrenches to adjust height and tilt in my pocket.

Ben (Edit for a funny typo)
I couldn’t agree more on the value of setting tilt carefully, particularly with drop bars, and the value of two bolt seat posts. I put a new Campy one on my old road frame way back when and I’ve now had both for over forty years, so I had the skewed impression that two-bolt posts were the norm.

These days I’m using a cheaper Schwinn road frame with a higher BB to avoid pedal strike with platform pedals, so I snagged a cheap XLC two-bolt post in the appropriate size.

Otto
Old 06-20-20, 04:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My observation based on my own bike and personal geometry revolves around the heigth of the handle bar compared with the saddle. If the bar is above the saddle a bit, then I find the bar more comfortable if it is tilted up and back a bit. During times when I'm very fit, say around mid summer. I like being stretched out bit with the bar a bit below the saddle. In this case, I like the bar tilted down a bit as this provides a better angle at the wrist.
Old 06-21-20, 10:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool 60 years later..

I'm of the opinion I should not slide forward on my saddle , weighting my hands on the bars more,

so it is level to slightly nose up. especially with my leather Brooks ,Team Pro ,, saddle.
Likes For fietsbob: