Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 02:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The "readily available" argument is tenuous when you look at recent bike tech trends. See rim brakes, mechanical shifting, etc. How much longer before hooked carbon rims become a rarity?
I think that will depend on whether or not there is a major backlash from consumers. Look what happened with press fit BBs. It looked at one point as if threaded BBs were about to become extinct, but consumers had issues with creaking and there was enough backlash for some major manufacturers to make a U-turn. Suddenly threaded BBs became a desirable selling point again.

The same could happen with hooked wheels. DT Swiss already make a point of their rims being hooked - it is now suddenly a selling point again. Hookless could well end up losing more sales than it attracts if consumers are freaked out and don’t see any real benefits.

Disc brakes and electronic shifting haven’t really suffered from consumer backlash in this way. Most people who try them don’t wish to go back.

Old 03-19-24, 02:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think that will depend on whether or not there is a major backlash from consumers. Look what happened with press fit BBs. It looked at one point as if threaded BBs were about to become extinct, but consumers had issues with creaking and there was enough backlash for some major manufacturers to make a U-turn. Suddenly threaded BBs became a desirable selling point again.

The same could happen with hooked wheels. DT Swiss already make a point of their rims being hooked - it is now suddenly a selling point again. Hookless could well end up losing more sales than it attracts if consumers are freaked out and don’t see any real benefits.

Disc brakes and electronic shifting haven’t really suffered from consumer backlash in this way. Most people who try them don’t wish to go back.
Press fit bottom brackets and hookless rims share an important characteristic -- they were adopted mainly because they are cheaper to manufacture, but they offer no tangible benefit to end users. Consequently, I wouldn't be surprised if hookless rims ultimately suffer the same fate as press fit bottom brackets.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-19-24, 03:34 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Thread together BBs are a good solution for press fit bottom brackets. I have Wheels Manufacturing thread together with angular contact bearings on all of my bikes. I also have disc brakes, electronic shifting and hookless rims that require no rim tape. No complaints.
​​​​
Old 03-19-24, 03:52 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Thread together BBs are a good solution for press fit bottom brackets. I have Wheels Manufacturing thread together with angular contact bearings on all of my bikes. I also have disc brakes, electronic shifting and hookless rims that require no rim tape. No complaints.
​​​​
Thread-together BBs represent a good workaround, although they seem to be somewhat expensive and on the heavy side. Nevertheless, it looks like manufacturers are backing away from press fit.

Disc brakes and e-shifting are likely here to stay. Whether hookless is here to stay for road wheels remains to be seen.
Old 03-20-24, 05:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Next up.. rebel against proprietary seatpost shapes and screwy clamping mechanisms.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-20-24, 05:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thread-together BBs represent a good workaround, although they seem to be somewhat expensive and on the heavy side. Nevertheless, it looks like manufacturers are backing away from press fit.

Disc brakes and e-shifting are likely here to stay. Whether hookless is here to stay for road wheels remains to be seen.
Less creaking, too. Anyone who had creaking issues will know that it's a real nightmare. I almost sold one of my bikes because I couldn't find the location of the creaking .
Old 03-20-24, 05:50 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Next up.. rebel against proprietary seatpost shapes and screwy clamping mechanisms.
It's a matter of time! People are just waiting for an incident to start the debates.
Old 03-20-24, 09:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Less creaking, too. Anyone who had creaking issues will know that it's a real nightmare. I almost sold one of my bikes because I couldn't find the location of the creaking .
I had a creaking issue with my Canyon. I had my LBS replace the press-fit BB with a Wheels thread together BB. When I took my first ride on it after that.... same creaking. Came home, pulled the seatpost, slathered it with assembly paste, reinstalled it. No creaking.

Oops. But I don't mind the Wheels BB.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-20-24, 09:23 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by genejockey
I had a creaking issue with my Canyon. I had my LBS replace the press-fit BB with a Wheels thread together BB. When I took my first ride on it after that.... same creaking. Came home, pulled the seatpost, slathered it with assembly paste, reinstalled it. No creaking.

Oops. But I don't mind the Wheels BB.
I hear you... Had to dismantle my bike almost completely to stop the creaking. It was driving me crazy, ride after ride. Funny thing is that I never actually found out where it came from. And I will sadly never know.
Old 03-20-24, 09:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I hear you... Had to dismantle my bike almost completely to stop the creaking. It was driving me crazy, ride after ride. Funny thing is that I never actually found out where it came from. And I will sadly never know.
I hate that - the problem stopped. It's not that you solved it, so if it happens again, you don't know how to fix it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-20-24, 10:47 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Zipp has issued a new statement advising teams to use no smaller than 29mm tires on their hookless rims:

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/zi...debacle-307385
Old 03-20-24, 11:43 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
No 28s with 25mm IW rims. 28 should be OK with their 23mm rims like 303s. This is CYA statement.
Old 03-20-24, 12:54 PM
Yan 

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
No 28s with 25mm IW rims. 28 should be OK with their 23mm rims like 303s. This is CYA statement.
So what you're saying is, both their high end 353 NSW and mid tier 303 Firecrest wheels are gimped. Only their bottom tier cheapest 303 S wheels are unaffected by the advisory notice. .

RIP.
Old 03-20-24, 01:49 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Yan
Zipp has issued a new statement advising teams to use no smaller than 29mm tires on their hookless rims:

They might as well have said 30 mm. Does anyone even make a 29 mm tyre? They all seem to progress 25,28,30,32 mm.
Old 03-21-24, 03:23 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Complete BS. Now a wheel with special TTS tyres, sealant and a tyre insert is expected to completely fail in the even of an "impact". Im sure its true it wouldn't have happened it nothing was hit, but come on, every other ride you hit a pothole or whatever. It happens, all the time, and shouldn't cause the tyre to come off. - It only just works, in the lab and there is no fail - safe.

Imo, if running hookless you should glue the tyre to the rim to prevent this from happening.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-21-24 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 03:30 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I think hookless sales are going to collapse
Old 03-21-24, 03:31 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Found it:

Mystery Crash
Thanks!

look at the footage and notice the riding conditions. Looks like perfect asphalt, but zipp says it was an "impact" causing the crash. Suure .. !
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-21-24, 03:43 AM
choddo

Looks like he's off the main carriageway though so there could be some debris there but even so, like you said, we all hit stuff all the time.
Old 03-21-24, 04:04 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Thanks!

look at the footage and notice the riding conditions. Looks like perfect asphalt, but zipp says it was an "impact" causing the crash. Suure .. !
I'm not defending hookless rims, but this wheel hit something hard enough to destroy the rim. Armchair conspiracy theory doesn't add any value here. If this was happening all the time while jra on perfect roads or hitting the odd pothole, then there would be no hookless rims on the market at this point. These are edge cases which have certainly raised questions, but it doesn't mean everyone's hookless wheel is suddenly going to assplode.
Old 03-21-24, 04:07 AM
choddo

I'm not defending hookless rims, but this wheel hit something hard enough to destroy the rim. Armchair conspiracy theory doesn't add any value here. If this was happening all the time while jra on perfect roads or hitting the odd pothole, then there would be no hookless rims on the market at this point. These are edge cases which have certainly raised questions, but it doesn't mean everyone's hookless wheel is suddenly going to assplode.
I thought it was the other guy's in Strada Bianchi that destroyed the rim? I could well be wrong.
Old 03-21-24, 04:50 AM
Racing Dan

Look at the footage. To my eye, clearly it didnt. There is no indication anything was hit "hard". I looked it at it over and over. Maybe you can spot the supposed hit, I sure cant. I am however sure something was hit and the tyre blew off, but no indication that is was a "big hit". Only a picture, after the fact, showing the rim had damage. When did that happen? after the tyre and the insert, thats supposed to protect the rim in the first place, had come off?

I call BS. Tyre retention is too low to be safe, even with a tyre insert, that 99% outside the pro circus doesn't use either.
Old 03-21-24, 04:55 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by choddo
I thought it was the other guy's in Strada Bianchi that destroyed the rim? I could well be wrong.
It has been claimed it was DeGents rim, but the video above does not, IMO, support the claim the rim was destroyed by a big impact. To my eye it look like a JRA crash caused bu some minor incident, causing the tyre to come off.
Old 03-21-24, 05:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Look at the footage. To my eye, clearly it didnt. There is no indication anything was hit "hard". I looked it at it over and over. Maybe you can spot the supposed hit, I sure cant. I am however sure something was hit and the tyre blew off, but no indication that is was a "big hit". Only a picture, after the fact, showing the rim had damage. When did that happen? after the tyre and the insert, thats supposed to protect the rim in the first place, had come off?

I call BS. Tyre retention is too low to be safe, even with a tyre insert, that 99% outside the pro circus doesn't use either.
If you look at this Top Secret video, you can clearly see the impact was hard enough to cause the "explosion."

Last edited by seypat; 03-21-24 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 05:57 AM
PeteHski

I call BS on your armchair “analysis”. I’ve seen the footage and it’s impossible to tell what happened. Everything else is just speculation.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-21-24, 08:46 AM
Yan 

Looking at that photo I'm just marveling at the circular logic of bikes going hookless, and then everyone putting in a green pool noodle to help retain the tire, only for the pool noodle to explode out and jam the fork, flipping the rider's face into the ground.

The world has gone upside down.
Likes For Yan:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.