Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

6 foot tall and over riders...top tube and stem length...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

6 foot tall and over riders...top tube and stem length...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 08:32 AM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got contradictory messages when shopping for a bike. A racing-oriented LBS told me a properly fitted bike ought to block my view of the front wheel hub (while in the hoods, the handlebar would supposedly block the view of the hub).

Other stores told me that's not accurate anymore.

I ride a 57cm bike, 32.75" inseam, 6'1, and a 100 mm stem. I feel a bit stretched out, but I'm new to this so it could just be me getting used to it.
Old 08-09-08, 09:21 AM
wants185s
wants185s

Bikes: Cannondale 2003 Caad 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
OK I will bite: but I have unusually long legs and a short torso:

6 feet 1/2 inch tall w/ 37 inch cycling inseam (yes 37 inches, 93 cm not a typo)
56.5 cm top tube, 63 cm seat tube, 10 cm stem (custom built steel frame, not compact).
Looks like your custom would fit me near perfectly. Do you have an old one you want to sell?

I guess by "not compact" you mean horizontal top tube. What is the seat tube angle? How much saddle to bar drop do you have?

I apologize for all of the questions but there are not many of our sizes around to gain experience from.
Old 08-09-08, 09:27 AM
FlashUNC

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the bike.

My Specialized has a hair smaller top tube, so I run a 120mm stem on it.

Trek is a tad longer, and I've got a 110mm there.

Both are square-ish frame though. 60 cm ST/58.5 TT on the Trek, 58 cm ST /57.5 TT on the Specialized.

Oops, almost forgot. 6'2 with a 34" inseam. Bar drop in both is ballpark at about 2.5 inches, and I spend a healthy amount of time in the drops (just more comfortable there.)
Old 08-09-08, 09:46 AM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'7" , 36" inseam , 65cm tt and 130mm stem.
Here is my setup:
https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4...erfordR-14.jpg

I'm stretched out pretty good on this one....it took a couple of weeks to get comfy, but it is just perfect now.

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 08-09-08, 10:53 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Inseam dictates saddle height which factors in saddle to bar drop which affects overall reach.
No, where you put the seatpost dictates saddle height. That variable can be changed. Top tube length can't. That's why, especially in the era of compact geometry, etc etc, people recommend fitting bikes by top tube length rather than seat tube length.
Old 08-09-08, 11:07 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
6 ft - 0 in.
34 in. inseam
56 cm top tube w/10 cm stem
Old 08-09-08, 11:13 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonoma76
I got contradictory messages when shopping for a bike. A racing-oriented LBS told me a properly fitted bike ought to block my view of the front wheel hub (while in the hoods, the handlebar would supposedly block the view of the hub).

Other stores told me that's not accurate anymore.

I ride a 57cm bike, 32.75" inseam, 6'1, and a 100 mm stem. I feel a bit stretched out, but I'm new to this so it could just be me getting used to it.
I measure my reach by blocking the view of the hubs when I'm in the drops.
Old 08-09-08, 11:21 AM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 6'0 32.5 inseam. I have a 56cm tt and a 120 stem. I think it is about right now that I have everything dialed in.
Old 08-09-08, 12:08 PM
Spookykinkajou

Bikes: Titus Modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pig
I measure my reach by blocking the view of the hubs when I'm in the drops.
I've heard that before. When I first started riding my current setup it was like that but now after a few months of regularly doing very long rides and nearly daily training rides I see the hub ~20cm in front of my bar.
Old 08-09-08, 12:10 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
6 ft - 1 in.
34 in. inseam

'07 Madone 58.2 cm top tube w/135-mm stem Stretched Out.
'84 Trek 56.2 cm top tube w/100-mm stem no bar to seat drop
'83 Shogun 1500 54.6 cm top tube w/100-mm stem Too Small

The Madone is more comfortable.
Old 08-09-08, 12:17 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
No, where you put the seatpost dictates saddle height. That variable can be changed. Top tube length can't. That's why, especially in the era of compact geometry, etc etc, people recommend fitting bikes by top tube length rather than seat tube length.
Leg length for an individual is a constant which means that so is the distance from the saddle to the bottom bracket, regardless of the angle of the top tube.

Two riders with identical measurements, except for leg length, will fit on the same bike differently in spite of the fact they have identical torso and arm lengths. This is because the longer legged rider will have more seatpost exposed above the top tube which means more saddle to bar drop. This can be compensated somewhat by spacers and riser stems, but there are limits to that.

The point is that you can't fit by either top tube length or seat tube length (or head tube length on compact geometry) alone. You might be able to get away with either one if your proportions are close enough to the center of the bell curve and the manufacturer's geometry suits you, but don't bet on it.
Old 08-09-08, 12:28 PM
Stallionforce

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'2", long legs, short torso, and I use a 58cm tt with a 90mm stem. Depends how aggressive you want to get.
Old 08-09-08, 12:41 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'6", 37 inch inseam, fairly average arm and upper body, not long, not short.

63cm 60 cm traditional top tube, 120mm flipped up stem with 40mm spacers, 4 inch drop. I would need a custom 67 - 68 cm bike with 60 - 61 cm top tube to have a 3 inch drop with no spacers, or even saddle bar height with 40mm spacers... My current bike is good for racing, fast riding, but is too small for a club/century bike.
Old 08-09-08, 01:12 PM
profkrispy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'0" tall, 34.5" inseam

Bike 1

Top Tube: 57.5 cm
Seat Tube Angle: 73 degrees
Head Tube Angle 73 degrees
Stem: 110 mm

Bike 2

Top Tube: 57.8"
Stem: 115 mm
Seat Tube Angle: 72.16 degrees
Head Tube Angle: 74 degrees plus (?)
Old 08-09-08, 09:09 PM
Hendley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
The point is that you can't fit by either top tube length or seat tube length (or head tube length on compact geometry) alone.
Right. The "size by top tube" advice that gets thrown around here is just as much a misleading simplification as sizing by seat tube. You need both measurements to start with. Being long-legged for my height, I always look at HT first...I know I need at least 200 mm. After that, I look at TT to see if the reach will get me in the 120-130mm stem zone.

For example, the Cervelo R3 and RS in 58 size have identical top tubes at 58 cm, but differ in HT length by 2 cm (180 mm and 200 mm respectively). I could fit the RS fairly well, but the R3 would required a lot more fudging with spacers, flipped stems etc.

For best results, of course, you need the STA, HTA, and BB height, as well as the TT and HT lengths. Those five numbers will enable you to determine stack and reach. When ordering my last bike (impossible to test ride where I live), I used a spreadsheet to calculate stack and reach for a series of likely looking candidates, and was able to narrow my choices down to a small set of bikes that would fit well.
Old 08-10-08, 02:52 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
6'0, 33" inseam. 57cm tt, 105 stem.
Old 08-10-08, 05:34 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendley
Right. The "size by top tube" advice that gets thrown around here is just as much a misleading simplification as sizing by seat tube. You need both measurements to start with. Being long-legged for my height, I always look at HT first...I know I need at least 200 mm. After that, I look at TT to see if the reach will get me in the 120-130mm stem zone.

For example, the Cervelo R3 and RS in 58 size have identical top tubes at 58 cm, but differ in HT length by 2 cm (180 mm and 200 mm respectively). I could fit the RS fairly well, but the R3 would required a lot more fudging with spacers, flipped stems etc.

For best results, of course, you need the STA, HTA, and BB height, as well as the TT and HT lengths. Those five numbers will enable you to determine stack and reach. When ordering my last bike (impossible to test ride where I live), I used a spreadsheet to calculate stack and reach for a series of likely looking candidates, and was able to narrow my choices down to a small set of bikes that would fit well.
We are very similar. Sizing bike by top tube is a convention born out of simplicity but does not guarantee a proper fit. I too look at head tube first as the most predominant factor. The reason why so many are mislead is because in years past head tube length was always proportionate to seat tube length because all bikes had a horizontal top tube. This convention has changed of course due to the advent of sloped top tube and compact geometries resulting in virtual sizing. Most recreational cyclists with a 35"+ inseam appreciate a 200mm head tube to manage a reasonable drop to the handlebars without a lot of spacers and flipped up stem. I am running a 170mm head tube (185mm with top cap) on my Look 555 XL which is well below what my preference would be and as a result I run more spacers than I would prefer with a 10 deg. riser stem. Fit is excellent however and couldn't be happier with the performance of the bike.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-10-08 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 05:51 AM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
6' 1"
58.5 cm top tube
120 mm stem
Old 08-10-08, 06:40 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by R900
6' 1"
58.5 cm top tube
120 mm stem
It seems for many that are 6'1" that this reach is popular. I am the same at 6'1", 57.5cm top tube and 130mm stem.

Also there is an accomodation of sorts built into the whole issue of body proportions which accounts for why guys our size run very close cockpit lengths even though our proportions maybe different. It can be explained by...those with long legs which generally means shorter torso and portend a shorter cockpit...typically have longer arms as a compensating factor. I am built this way...long legs and arms with pretty average torso length. By contrast those that are all torso typicaly have shorter legs and arms which dictates the same cockpit reach for those that are the polar opposite.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-10-08 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 06:56 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
It seems for many that are 6'1" that this reach is popular. I am the same at 6'1", 57.5cm top tube and 130mm stem.

Also there is an accomodation of sorts built into the whole issue of body proportions which accounts for why guys our size run very close cockpit lengths even though our proportions maybe different. It can be explained by...those with long legs which generally means shorter torso and portend a shorter cockpit...typically have longer arms as a compensating factor. I am built this way...long legs and arms with pretty average torso length. By contrast those that are all torso typicaly have shorter legs and arms which dictates the same cockpit reach for those that are the polar opposite.
I guess I have a short torso or arms because I generally run a shorter top tube.

The fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist comes in handy here... it'll spit out a top tube/stem combination, saddle height, saddle-bar drop, etc. etc. for your given measurements and preferred position. It gives you 3 choices: The "Competitive Fit" for traditional long/low aero racing-type positions, the more relaxed "Eddy Fit" popularized by some bike racer guy named Eddy , and the "French Fit," a more upright, touring-oriented fit.

Also helpful is the TT/Tri fit calculator which gives you the "Aero fit."
Old 08-10-08, 07:11 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I guess I have a short torso or arms because I generally run a shorter top tube.

The fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist comes in handy here... it'll spit out a top tube/stem combination, saddle height, saddle-bar drop, etc. etc. for your given measurements and preferred position. It gives you 3 choices: The "Competitive Fit" for traditional long/low aero racing-type positions, the more relaxed "Eddy Fit" popularized by some bike racer guy named Eddy , and the "French Fit," a more upright, touring-oriented fit.

Also helpful is the TT/Tri fit calculator which gives you the "Aero fit."
I believe there are many factors as you allude. Type of cyclist of course including personal preference. Something a bit counterintuitive perhaps is the various fits from race to comfort associated with my Competitive Cyclist fit profile...the reach...horizontal component anyway if you add top tube and stem length is actually "less" for the competitive/racier fit. In any event, what the Competitive Cyclist calculator suggests coincides very closely to what I actually prefer...if anything stretchs me out a bit more across the board than I prefer....see below:

BTW...the above contradiction can be explained and why the CC fit calculator separates top tube and stem length. The racier fit...even though is has physically a "shorter" reach references a shorter top tube. Convention dictates, shorter top tube bikes have shorter head tubes. The result is...the shorter horizontal reach of a competitive fit will be compensated for by a bigger drop for an aggragate equal if not longer reach for a competitive versus Eddy or French (comfort) fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CompetCyclistFit.jpg (31.8 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-10-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 07:55 AM
texascyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've marked up the Hincapie riding position to make a couple of points to like minded scientific cats out there. Many know that the idea cockpit is a triangle. The key is the shape of the triangle. Triangles are strongest with a wide base. The lower the back angle the longer the reach should be or the base of the triangle is no longer steady. If you look at Hincapies' set up, there is beautiful symmetry to it that he no doubt has migrated to through exhaustive testing. His set up is the most solid for a reason. Many suggest that the ideal back angle on the hoods should be close to 45 degrees which effectively forms an isosceles right triangle with a right angle between upper arm and back. This produces a very solid platform for the arms to support the back. What one intuitively feels if their reach is too short is the arms are more in compression. This leads to a sense of feeling cramped on the hoods. Look at Hincapie. His arms are more in tension i.e. more like cables on a suspension bridge. His set up for his extreme race position looks perfect. If he were to shorten his cockpit, i.e. the red arm position, you can see how the symmetry of the triangle would be compromised and he would lose the base of his triangle and his arms would be more in compression.
The racers, though perhaps difficult to emulate to the nth degree, teach us alot about riding position. A further note is one of the reason they can tolerate such extreme saddle to bar drop is they accompany that drop with an equallly extreme reach which shallows out the angle of attack to the handlebars.
Extending your arms will not create tension. This will increase compression. Imagine a greased up smooth wall next to a carpet floor. You lean against it with your feet directly under holding a weight. No problem. now, you move your feet out 2 feet, and it increases compression on your feet.
Old 08-10-08, 07:59 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I believe there are many factors as you allude. Type of cyclist of course including personal preference. Something a bit counterintuitive perhaps is the various fits from race to comfort associated with my Competitive Cyclist fit profile...the reach...horizontal component anyway if you add top tube and stem length is actually "less" for the competitive/racier fit. In any event, what the Competitive Cyclist calculator suggests coincides very closely to what I actually prefer...if anything stretchs me out a bit more across the board than I prefer....see below:

BTW...the above contradiction can be explained and why the CC fit calculator separates top tube and stem length. The racier fit...even though is has physically a "shorter" reach references a shorter top tube. Convention dictates, shorter top tube bikes have shorter head tubes. The result is...the shorter horizontal reach of a competitive fit will be compensated for by a bigger drop for an aggragate equal if not longer reach for a competitive versus Eddy or French (comfort) fit.
Short top tube = shorter wheelbase, quicker handling, and as you mentioned, a shorter top tube and greater potential for a bigger saddle to bar drop.

I set my bike up exactly according to the Competitive Fit and it's an outstanding race rig.
Old 08-10-08, 08:12 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by texascyclist
Extending your arms will not create tension. This will increase compression. Imagine a greased up smooth wall next to a carpet floor. You lean against it with your feet directly under holding a weight. No problem. now, you move your feet out 2 feet, and it increases compression on your feet.
Sorry...have to disagree with you. I believe the flaw in your analogy is you forgot to introduce the spring which is one's core. Most have a threshold for back flexion or how closed their hips are. The more you bend over the higher the spring rate of your core. This BTW is the underlying reason for not being able to touch one's toes. Tight hamstrings equates to poor hip flexiblity and reduced back flexion. Your arms and legs don't change length If you wind the rotory spring ie your core tight by bending more at the hips, arm tension automatically decreases by extension. Cramped i.e. shorter cockpit is the very definition of compression because the core naturally does not exert an opposing force to holding one's back up. Extension, i.e. a more elongated cockpit lessens arm compression because of this mechanism. Tension is really a misnomer but was used to make a point. The only way there can be tension in one's arms is if the back is not being supported by the arms but held up by the core. When sprinting, there "is" tension in the arms independent of cockpit length

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-10-08 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 08:16 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Short top tube = shorter wheelbase, quicker handling, and as you mentioned, a shorter top tube and greater potential for a bigger saddle to bar drop.

I set my bike up exactly according to the Competitive Fit and it's an outstanding race rig.
I think CC's fit calculator is quite accurate as well and a great point of reference.
A couple of recurrent themes can be drawn from this thread. One...the reach for many taller cyclists is pretty close as many derive their height in their legs...and second...the difference in reach between race and comfort isn't much...its the ratio of horizontal to vertical drop that changes but aggragate reach from tip of saddle to bar center doesn't change much.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-10-08 at 08:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.