Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus 6.0 in Medium, Mistake?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Specialized Sirrus 6.0 in Medium, Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 11:14 PM
Aristokrata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's better than I though it would be on standover. I can flatfoot it, but with ZERO clearance....I'm okay with that, as long as I can get my feet down for abrupt stops. I took it home. More than happy with it. I would say 29" and under inseam, go for the small, even if you are 5'8"; and, if you 5'7" and under, the S. I was right there at the in between section of M and S, we spent about 30 minutes getting the right position, and at the end deciding that the seat tube would be too high if I went to the S.
Old 05-22-20, 11:17 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read through some of the manual, but any tips on maintenance for this thing? First REAL bike. I bought some RocknRoll already, and was advised to put it on after about a week, or 10 rides in.
Old 05-23-20, 11:23 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Aristokrata
It's better than I though it would be on standover. I can flatfoot it, but with ZERO clearance....I'm okay with that, as long as I can get my feet down for abrupt stops. I took it home. More than happy with it. I would say 29" and under inseam, go for the small, even if you are 5'8"; and, if you 5'7" and under, the S. I was right there at the in between section of M and S, we spent about 30 minutes getting the right position, and at the end deciding that the seat tube would be too high if I went to the S.
Yeah, don't get too worked up about standover. I lightly touch the top tube of my Surly LHT, but can pull the bike up a ways before it makes hard contact. I was more interested in getting a frame that allowed me to get the bars where I wanted without stacking a ton of spacers, and also wanted the slightly longer wheelbase.
Old 05-24-20, 05:10 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had some real problems with rubbing on the fork, no matter how I reroute the brake wire. I think someone else mentioned this too. Spent a few hours routing it around the other wire with the same result, the wire is just too tough, and comes out of the fork too close.

​​​​​​
I made this in Photoshop and had it printed up on a 3"x0.5" slick domed gel epoxy sticker to stop the frame wear on the carbon.

Feel free to shoot over any ideas on how to fix this. This is the best I've come up with.
​​​​
Old 05-26-20, 12:10 AM
reachgew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everyone, I'm also a similar size (5'6" and 742mm inseam) with a new Sirrus 4.0, and really appreciate your very timely and relevant posts!
@what_dehek would you mind sharing the seatpost height and position fitted by your LBS?
@Aristokrata regarding 6.0 vs. 4.0 I was planning to buy the 6.0 as I was told that its wheel is tubeless ready (and of course the components discussed above), but they only had it in large.
Old 05-26-20, 08:35 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reachgew
@Aristokrata regarding 6.0 vs. 4.0 I was planning to buy the 6.0 as I was told that its wheel is tubeless ready (and of course the components discussed above), but they only had it in large.
Howdy friend! The 6.0 does come with Presta inner tubes, but the Roubaix Pro 2BR are tubeless ready, yes. I do not know much about tubeless riding. But, there is a review on the Specialized website regarding the 6.0 directly;
"...went for tubless option but 2 trips to lbs &
100 miles trying to get them to seal failed so
I put tubes back in. The bike does ride nice
though
."
But, the big reason for jumping to the 6.0 would be the 105 groupset, the Future Shock, and the carbon frame. Is it worth another $1k, prob not, you'll be fine with the 4.0. But, they are sold of the 4.0 right now in every size.

Becuase of the shared frames across the Sirrus line, the series has a long headtube; the reason for the lengthy headtube is the integration of the Future Shock system. So, for me I wasn't going to get such a tall bike if the Future Shock wasn't included, which the 4.0 doesn't have. I would have instead jumped over to the Fuji Absolute Carbon, or the Giant Fastroad Advanced 1. But, I was also shopping a very strict criteria of carbon bikes with the 105 group, that also had flatbars.
https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=g...te-carbon-2020

The mechanic that put my bike together was a 5'6" fella; he hopped on my bike a few times, and I asked him what he road, and he said a small in the Sirrus frames. Specialized has the Small 6.0 in stock right now, and you can sign up for the 15% discount, and have it shipped to your local bike shop free of charge; so, would only cost you $2090 with tax. I paid $2461 without the discount. Shouldn't be any harm as Specialized has a "click and return" policy if you decide you don't want it.

Last edited by Aristokrata; 05-26-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 08:46 PM
reachgew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your thoughts! RE tubeless, there's a lot of back and forth, mainly between people who are able to seal effectively and those who weren't.

I got my medium 4.0 bike at a local store so I may be past the point of no return.
It was the last one, wasn't built when I bought it, and the guys at the store weren't able to do much fitting even during pickup given the pandemic.

I went for a pretty long (and great!) ride on the weekend and it's totally fine when I'm pedaling.
When stopped, I'm able to stand over it with my feet flat, it's not uncomfortable when I do, and technically there is some clearance (it just presses against me) when I lift it by 1-2 inches.

In the meantime I dug up some old running shoes with elevated heels (Shox) and will see if those help!
Likes For reachgew:
Old 05-29-20, 11:01 PM
Aristokrata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reachgew
When stopped, I'm able to stand over it with my feet flat, it's not uncomfortable when I do, and technically there is some clearance (it just presses against me) when I lift it by 1-2 inches.
Even though we are at different heights and inseams, we have about the same clearance, you may even have more clearance than I do. If I lift the bike at all, it hits. I am glad I can flat foot though, I've had to slam on breaks off in the wet grass a few times when cars were coming from both ways.