Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pair Shimano 105 Disc Road Calipers with MTB Levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 09:05 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My AC Space Horse frame is set up for flat mount road disc brakes. I have a Mokolo Handle bars (flat bars). I was going to mount Shimano 6100 Deore MTB brakes and levers. But would have used adaptors since the frame is set up for flat mount brakes. I stopped by my local bike shop to pick up couple of bolts and I took the frame in with me to get the correct length. The mechanic did not like the idea of putting adaptors to mount MTB calipers. He suggested I use flat mounts as that is what the frame was intended to do. I explained was planning on using flat bars and need mtb style levers. He said that he had used road disc calipers with MTB levers on several occasions with no issue.

I picked up a set of Shimano 105 flat mount disc calipers and mounted the front caliper on the fork with the adaptor set for 160mm rotor. Super easy. I ordered an adaptor for the rear caliper so I can mount a 160mm on the rear. Just waiting for it to arrive. BTW: The 105 calipers have the hoses attached.

So what hydro MTB levers to I want to pair with these 105 flat mounts that will mount up nice on the Mokolo bar? I assume I should probably stay with Shimano levers since I can use Shimano Mineral oil in the system with no worries. Any brake lever suggestions? Also, will I need to get any fittings to put the 105 hoses on the MTB levers or will the levers come with everything I need?

(BTW: I have a MTB Shimano funnel so I think I can just gravity fill and bleed them).
Old 03-09-24, 10:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
SLX or XT levers that work with 2-piston brake calipers should be fine. It is possible any Shimano levers will work.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-10-24, 07:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=shim...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 03-11-24, 08:09 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

as mentioned above - it is possible just about any Shimano levers will work

bike pictured above has BL-M8000 (XT) brake lever assemblies with BR-RS785 (Ultegra) calipers

recommended brake hose is BH90 brake hose - but got lazy and used the existing OEM BH59 hose

braking is outstanding

don’t forget - most (or all ?) of the better / higher end Shimano brake calipers are ‘narrow track’ - use the narrow track brake pads - and should be paired with a narrow track rotor

( bike pictured above has SM-RT86 rotors and J05A-RF brake pads )

can’t recall if the fittings are different on the road shifter / brake lever assemblies and the MTB / straight bar brake lever assemblies … think you gotta be careful there - wrong hose fitting / male end could damage / crack the female end

edit : I believe there might be a difference

brake hose purchased for the bike above (but not used) : SM-BH90-SS

brake hose purchased for another bike with Tiagra road brake / shifter assemblies : SM-BH90-JK-SSR

the brake calipers on both bikes use straight hose caliper connections - as opposed to banjo connectors

hmmmm

Last edited by t2p; 03-11-24 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 10:01 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
t2p,

Thank you so much. Yes my 105 calipers have straight connections - they have the hoses attached. I am assuming the hoses are the BH90s since that is what came on them and from what I have seen is what Shimano specifies. I have MT6100 levers. Which I think also uses BH90.

I still am a bit confused by the hose fitting. I will take a look at the 6100 tomorrow to see what I see - not sure I know what I am looking for it to look like to work with the BH90 hose.

I also did not know about wide and narrow track brakes. Good to know. I will make sure I get the narrow track 160s for this setup.

Much appreciate the info!