Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front Rack - Suspension Forks - No Braze Ons

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 08:55 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts

I am tossing up the option of carrying panniers on the front of my forthcoming Reise and Muller Supercharger 2. This is just one option; I may stick to getting mounts to mount my Salsa Anything Cages.

In the meantime, I am considering the various options, including a front rack.

In days long past, I used a Tubus Swing on a mountain bike, which worked okay, but Tubus no longer makes them.

I have come across a couple of options. Have I missed any other options?

[1] Topeak Tetrarack M1. I am not keen on using velcro, but I believe they can be swapped out for hose clamps. The load rating is 10 kg.

[2] Zefal Raider Front - uses four hose clamps to mount it. It is lighter. The load rating is 2 x 9 kg (complying with ISO 11243:2016 standard). It's way more than I need, but it speaks to the rack's strength.

[3] Old Man Mountain Elkhorn - very expensive to purchase and import to Australia.

Thoughts on these racks or others?
Old 03-20-24, 09:11 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
The Old Man Mountain Divide is available with a hardware kit that will work With full size panniers. The Elkhorn is for bike packing.
Likes For Rick:
Old 03-20-24, 10:18 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Old Man Mountain Divide is very sturdy, it is worth the price.

Haven't heard of the Tubus Swing before, but I am very intrigued by it. Attaching a rack to the fork crown sounds like better idea than attaching it to the lowers. I might have to find one, or learn how to make racks to make something similar.
Old 03-20-24, 10:42 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by Arrowana
Old Man Mountain Divide is very sturdy, it is worth the price.
The price to me is US$339.43 ... that hurts.
Old 03-20-24, 11:10 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by aushiker
the price to me is us$339.43 ... That hurts.
ouch!
Old 03-20-24, 11:31 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

That is quite expensive. Which version is it? The USA made one is more expensive than the one made in Taiwan, though both are plenty sturdy. If you want sturdy, it might be worth it anyways. Otherwise, maybe there is someone in Australia who could make a custom rack for less money.

If you don't need it to be really sturdy, then the Zefal and Topeak racks will probably do their job well enough, though I don't have personal experience with either one.
Old 03-21-24, 12:24 AM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Aushiker: I'm guessing by the price you quoted that you live somewhere other than the USA. I was looking around and found an Axiom front rack that might work.
Old 03-21-24, 01:50 AM
Aushiker

That is quite expensive. Which version is it? The USA made one is more expensive than the one made in Taiwan, though both are plenty sturdy. If you want sturdy, it might be worth it anyways. Otherwise, maybe there is someone in Australia who could make a custom rack for less money.

If you don't need it to be sturdy, then the Zefal and Topeak racks will probably do their job well enough, though I don't have personal experience with either one.
I was not aware of different versions. I just went to the Old Man Mountain website and calculated the costs. Is there another source?

Just googling then, I found Australian retailers which I had missed before. The rack is AU$290 plus $150 for the axle kit so US$292 which is still expensive but cheaper than buying it directly.
Old 03-21-24, 02:06 AM
Aushiker

Yes in Australia. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-21-24, 04:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
The Minoura if your bike uses skewers. Not sure if it would work with through axle.
MT-4000SF | MINOURA JAPAN
Old 03-21-24, 04:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Haven't heard of the Tubus Swing before, but I am very intrigued by it. Attaching a rack to the fork crown sounds like better idea than attaching it to the lowers. I might have to find one, or learn how to make racks to make something similar.
Has been out of production for over a decade.

That design solved the problem of the pannier weight being unsprung weight.

I have only seen one once, the gal I met at a campground a decade ago said that because it was no longer made, she had to keep getting her rack repaired. Photo below, but unfortunately I did not get a close up of just the rack on the bike. this is the best photo I have of it. The panniers were mounted way up high.

Old 03-21-24, 06:10 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The Minoura if your bike uses skewers. Not sure if it would work with through axle.
MT-4000SF | MINOURA JAPAN
Thanks but the bike is coming with a thru axle.
Old 03-21-24, 06:27 AM
Aushiker

I have dragged out of the archives a few photos of the swing which I attached to my Giant XTC 2 in 2012 or thereabouts.

I have some more detailed shots of the mounts if anyone wants those.

Last edited by Aushiker; 03-21-24 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 03-21-24, 06:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
hi Aus,
I have a similar rack to the zefal, in fact it might be the older version of it. Bought it ages ago, close to 10 years ago and had it on my front suspension bike for a while.
Been hanging on my garage wall since I took it off the bike. Kept it just because it is unique and one day could be useful.
It is ok, but the 4 connection points using that slotted part, with washers and bolts, is not super super inspiring looking. My thoughts always were that they could easily loosen just because there isnt a ton of meat of contact point with the washers and bolts. I bought it thinking I might use that bike for more Latin American trips, but in the end went with a diff bike and a strong lowrider.

the topeak one looks interesting, and solid.

depending on what you want to carry, have you considered some good fork leg cages? You could easily put some 5-8L bags on each side, and the whole thing will be possibly lighter than a front rack setup--to me lighter is always going to be better for a front suspension, suspended weight and all that. These would be a lot less expensive (I hope) than the OMM rack.

your thoughts?

ps, I have some Topeak stuff, a 10L seat bag, some fork cages, and the quality is all good stuff. As you say, you could work around the velcro thing if you didnt find it sturdy enough.

Last edited by djb; 03-21-24 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-21-24, 06:42 AM
Aushiker

And a couple of the Tubus Swing in action ...

The first is an off at speed on a downhill ... it hurt.

The second was taken at a lunch break I believe.

Old 03-21-24, 06:46 AM
djb

whammo.
did it damage the trailer attachment point, getting twisted?
Old 03-21-24, 06:50 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
whammo.
did it damage the trailer attachment point, getting twisted?
The only damage was to my pride and my body. The Exrawheel simply disconnects from the bike,

Road a few hundred kilometres after that until the brakes failed. Got a leak somehow and whilst olive oil helped it was not an ideal solution coming into some big hills so bailed from the ride (no bikeshops).
Old 03-21-24, 06:58 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
hi Aus,
I
depending on what you want to carry, have you considered some good fork leg cages? You could easily put some 5-8L bags on each side, and the whole thing will be possibly lighter than a front rack setup--to me lighter is always going to be better for a front suspension, suspended weight and all that. These would be a lot less expensive (I hope) than the OMM rack..
Thanks for the feedback on the Zefal. Appreciated.

I do have Salsa Anything Cages on my fat bike and that is an option for sure. I just need to come up with a suitable mounting option to add to the suspension forks. There are a few ways to go about it and that may be the decision in the end. One I like is the Old Man Mountain Axle Pack but it does get pricey as I will need their thru axle. It is very neat but. There are cheaper/alternative options but they are not as neat. Bikepacking.com mentions a few in this article on mounting water bottle cages.
Old 03-21-24, 08:13 AM
djb

The Topeka cages I got came with some sort of rachet attachment system for forks without bolt holes. Never used them so can't speak for their toughness. If possible, I figure clamps are a sure thing and stronger than plastic.
Old 03-21-24, 09:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Old Man Mountain makes a thru-axle kit, and the price seems more conventional:

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycl...-for-any-fork/
Old 03-21-24, 09:12 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Old Man Mountain makes a thru-axle kit, and the price seems more conventional:

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycl...-for-any-fork/
That's pretty neat
I don't have a thru axel bike, but that's a neat think around.
Old 03-22-24, 03:57 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 57 Posts
This thread reminded me that I have a Tubus Swing rack that I could never get to fit nicely to the original Marzocchi Bombers or replacement Pace RC40 on my Roberts Roughstuff, whatever I did it seemed to be too high and too far forwards but have just tried it on the Magura forks on my Thorn Sterling and it fits a lot better being further back and lower, I might actually get to use it again.

Old 03-22-24, 11:55 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Originally Posted by Aushiker
I have dragged out of the archives a few photos of the swing which I attached to my Giant XTC 2 in 2012 or thereabouts.

I have some more detailed shots of the mounts if anyone wants those.
Thank you for sharing these, should make a nice reference if I actually do decide to try and make one. I wouldn't mind seeing the detail shots of the mounts.
Old 03-22-24, 03:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Thank you for sharing these, should make a nice reference if I actually do decide to try and make one. I wouldn't mind seeing the detail shots of the mounts.
That gal that I mentioned in a previous post that was using one, she had hers repaired a few times, I believe it was the part that attached to the fork crown that needed repair.

If you have an older fork, old enough that it had canti brake posts, Tubus also made a rack that would attach on those posts. I just did a google search and some dealers apparently still have old stock, model was Smarti. Check it out if you are intersted.

I do not recall if my Rockshox fork had mounts for the bottom of the rack or not, if it did I think that fork would have worked with the Smarti because of the brake posts.
Old 03-22-24, 06:07 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That gal that I mentioned in a previous post that was using one, she had hers repaired a few times, I believe it was the part that attached to the fork crown that needed repair.
Good to know, I imagine I'd be tweaking the design some. I'm thinking pounding a star nut into the bottom of the steerer tube could provide a place to bolt it to for some extra stability, even if most of the weight would be resting on the top of the fork crown and the strut going to the uper part of the steerer tube.

Also discovered the Faiv Hoogar exists, and attaches to both the uppers and lowers while allowing the cargo to benefit from the suspension. Very expensive even without factoring in international shipping though. https://faiv.de/fahrrad/gepaecktraeger-hoogar/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.