Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you take the lane in this situation? (Example pic included)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you take the lane in this situation? (Example pic included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 10:56 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
What is the posted speed limit? What is the actual speed of traffic? If I block the lane by going 13 mph, how difficult will it be for cars to move to the other lane to get around me?
Old 10-12-15, 11:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
If this were a test... the correct answer would probably be take the lane. And if there was NO construction and I HAD to use that road that would likely be what I would do. It is difficult to determine from a picture... but that street/road looks a tad busy for any long term/distance riding... FOR ME. But if that was part of my regular route (which means I'd determined it to be the safest/best route).... then that is what I'd do. I am assuming that means the distance would be short enough that I could ride "with the traffic" during my entire time "in the traffic".

C. I'd cheat and ride through the construction area. I've made similar decisions in the past... with mixed results. Including a minor crash while trying to avoid a maneuvering dump truck.
+1

I do cheat and have done this a number of times. Based on the OP image, there are no workers and vehicles in view; therefore, I will ride to the right of the cones. In other situations, trucks and the crew are visible and working on to the right of the cones, I will take the whole lane left of the cones. I have never had an issue with this logic, the worst thing that happens is that an unseen issue up the road forces you to move to the left of the cones at an inopportune time and you'll need to stop and wait for an opening in traffic.
Old 10-12-15, 11:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I usually cut to the right of the cones, but watch out for construction activities. If I come up to a group of workers or place where the road surface is not passable, I'll cut over into the lane and sprint to get around them, then return to the protected zone. I don't like the sidewalks, but I've even seen signs directing bikes onto the sidewalks (which can be impassable with my trailer). I just give me as big of a buffer as I can from cars, and construction equipment.

I ALWAYS follow the instruction of the flaggers, and will stop until they say to go, at which point I may take the lane and sprint around the construction.

Recently we had a construction project that closed a major arterial heading out of town. It left 3 choices. 1: ride through the construction. 2: a couple of extra miles out of the way, and a mile or so on the freeway. 3: about 10 miles through the next city over, and a big hill.

I just picked my way through the construction, and the workers just expected the bikes and pedestrians to do that. Stopped and steered clear of anything moving. It was a bit of a pain, but it also reduced traffic for miles after the construction, and thus provided an overall benefit.
Old 10-12-15, 04:48 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I'd tuck in behind that dark grey car to my left. Key is to merge early, no surprises.
Old 10-13-15, 07:56 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider

A. Take the lane and have confused and/or angry motorists yelling and honking at you because you aren't riding on the sidewalk.

B. Ride as far to the right in the car lane as you can. Appease the drivers, avoid the confrontation, but risk being clipped, or worse.

C. Say to hell with those cones, and just ride through the construction zone.

Which do you choose?
Having already replied to the thread, why am I responsible for any "confused, angry motorist?"

I read a bunch of replies here indicating some of you would start weaving in and out of the cones...I thought being unpredictable was a hallmark cause of accidents?
Old 10-13-15, 08:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
...I thought being unpredictable was a hallmark cause of accidents?
Hallmark case? What does that mean? I suspect in this instance it is related in meaning to "Urban Legend" or "Conventional Wisdom."
Old 10-13-15, 09:08 AM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Hallmark case? What does that mean? I suspect in this instance it is related in meaning to "Urban Legend" or "Conventional Wisdom."
No, not at all. Hallmark cause, not hallmark case. Just read the available statements relative to car/bicycle accidents, made by the motorist. Invariably, the motorist is quoted, stating something related to the unpredictable nature of the cyclist being the cause of the accident (e.g. "The cyclist came from nowhere," or, "The cyclist was going to slow," or "The cyclist turned right in front of me.") With statements like, "I would weave in and out of the cones," I would think it might lend some credence to some statements made by these motorists involved in collisions with cyclists.
Old 10-13-15, 09:40 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having already replied to the thread, why am I responsible for any "confused, angry motorist?"

I read a bunch of replies here indicating some of you would start weaving in and out of the cones...I thought being unpredictable was a hallmark cause of accidents?
The only responsibility, I would think. Is potentially repetitive alterations in lane position. But as for a motorist being angry. That is their problem. Not mine. Because, Taking the lane, is not 'taking the road'. So a motorist has plenty of opportunity, to pass.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-13-15 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 10:34 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I can't believe some of you seriously debating the "weave through the cones" option. They were being facetious.
Old 10-13-15, 10:46 AM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I can't believe some of you seriously debating the "weave through the cones" option. They were being facetious.
I am unable to ascertain whether or not some of the posters were being facetious in their response.

Hypno toad appears serious here on page 3 and ILTB appears serious on page 2.

Last edited by jeichelberg87; 10-13-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 10:48 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

No, not at all. Hallmark cause, not hallmark case. Just read the available statements relative to car/bicycle accidents, made by the motorist. Invariably, the motorist is quoted, stating something related to the unpredictable nature of the cyclist being the cause of the accident (e.g. "The cyclist came from nowhere," or, "The cyclist was going to slow," or "The cyclist turned right in front of me.") With statements like, "I would weave in and out of the cones," I would think it might lend some credence to some statements made by these motorists involved in collisions with cyclists.
You have it backwards, the "hallmark cause" is often used by some motorists involved in accidents with all sorts of vehicles including bicycles, as a justification/excuse for their own carelessness or inattention to traffic conditions, or in the case of so-called bicycling safety advocates as a justification for promoting whatever education program or technique they like.

There are no real world stats/data calling out "unpredictable behavior" by bicyclists as a cause of accidents. It is just a handy-dandy, no-defined-meaning vague label assigned to whatever a bicyclist was doing preceding an accident, whether legal or not, or predictable or not, by some people with an agenda.
Old 10-13-15, 11:04 AM
jeichelberg87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have it backwards, the "hallmark cause" is often used by some motorists involved in accidents with all sorts of vehicles including bicycles, as a justification/excuse for their own carelessness or inattention to traffic conditions, or in the case of so-called bicycling safety advocates as a justification for promoting whatever education program or technique they like.

There are no real world stats/data calling out "unpredictable behavior" by bicyclists as a cause of accidents. It is just a handy-dandy, no-defined-meaning vague label assigned to whatever a bicyclist was doing preceding an accident, whether legal or not, or predictable or not, by some people with an agenda.
Surely you do not deny there are actual "real world stats/data," consisting of motorist testimony of what causes accidents between cyclists/motorists? And that (the stated cause, not the actual cause) is all I addressed in my post; however, with people advocating such behavior on a cyclist forum, the probability of erratic and unpredictable behavior on the part of the cyclist as being the cause of cyclist motorist accidents rose.

Last edited by jeichelberg87; 10-13-15 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 12:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
How often do motorists use this hallmark cause? I'd like to see some real world stats/data backing this claim up.
Old 10-13-15, 03:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
As others have said, take the construction lane as long as it's safe, keeping my eyes open for moving vehicles, holes in the road, and personnel.

I'm not a trusting person; I don't trust a driver to notice me beyond a 'Hunh, I wonder what that bump was?' then return to their phone conversation. I treat drivers like they're blind, stupid, and not paying attention; so far, so good.
Old 10-13-15, 04:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
How often do motorists use this hallmark cause? I'd like to see some real world stats/data backing this claim up.
The answer, according to jeichelberg87, is "invariably" whenever the motorist is quoted.

Real world stats/data backing up claims made on A&S? Don't you know A&S brand bicycle safety experts don't need no stinkin' real world stats/data; not when they can type anything that sounds good and be believed by true believers.
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...l#post18238272

"Invariably, the motorist is quoted, stating something related to the unpredictable nature of the cyclist being the cause of the accident (e.g. "The cyclist came from nowhere," or, "The cyclist was going to slow," or "The cyclist turned right in front of me.")"
Old 10-13-15, 07:08 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider

A. Take the lane and have confused and/or angry motorists yelling and honking at you because you aren't riding on the sidewalk.

B. Ride as far to the right in the car lane as you can. Appease the drivers, avoid the confrontation, but risk being clipped, or worse.

C. Say to hell with those cones, and just ride through the construction zone.

Which do you choose?
I'd be on the sidewalk.
Old 10-13-15, 07:44 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question HBx and great responses to all. And good reference photo too.

IMO:

C) I always take the construction lane in this case (esp. as seen in photo) when there's plenty of room and there's no active construction. I hug the cones and I feel especially safe as I'm outta the real traffic lane and I'm not in the way of fast moving traffic and obviously we'd not be impeding construction work* (as picture suggests).

B) If the construction zone is not safe, i.e. *active working area, debris, assertive flagman, etc., then I'll take the right side of the lane so as not to impede traffic and especially not to anger motorists and give cyclists a bad name to a minority of those average drivers. Again, photo suggest that there's plenty of room for the two of us to coextist.

A) I will only take the lane in cases where there's really no room for the two of us to coexist AND if my temporary acceleration to 20 mph or so can closely match the normal flow of traffic. If those factors cannot be met then, well, I'm on the wrong road - shame on me.

B) addendum) Specifically to that pic, that road looks like there's plenty of room for a car and a bike to coexist for a while, and traffic seems faster than I could ride even with summer fitness - definitely I would NOT take the lane and slow car traffic and thusly give us all a bad name.
Old 10-13-15, 08:02 PM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
In california youj can take the lane if there is not enough room for bike and car with 3 feet of clearance. If there is room then you should ride as far t other right as safe. Looking at this picture I would say take the lane.
Old 10-13-15, 08:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I would most always take the lane in such a situation. Unless, as others have stated, there's a long stretch with no work or workers.

Had a two lane road here being repaved a while back and they'd close off one lane for about a mile at a time as they were working. Flagmen at either end controlled the resultant single lane traffic. A few times they waved me to the front of the waiting lane as they apparently wanted to slow the line of cars as it passed the work area. It was clear they expected me to take the lane.

Once, they were actively working in about half the closed area but weren't working on the last 1/3 of a mile or so that was up a fairly steep hill. I went inside the cones up the hill and the few cars behind me cleared the area. But the lane was closed until the top of the hill and even though I wasn't using the travel lane, the flagman wouldn't let the opposing traffic start until I crested the hill and cleared the cones. Felt a tinge of guilt there as it was sort of unnecessary, but it probably wasn't more than a minute or so.
Old 10-13-15, 08:37 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the lane and get in the lane before they start riding your a$$. What I like using when in traffic like this a two watt rear flashing light. There's a few different modes on the light and the one I like is one I'd never use for night riding, and that's a fast off and on mode. This setting is waaay too much for a night mode.

I'd have no reason not to take the lane too. There's another lane to the left, so no biggy.