Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Would Germans Ever Cross the Street on a Red Light?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 08:56 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Would Germans Ever Cross the Street on a Red Light? - WSJ

The idea has struck a nerve in country of epic traffic jams where walking or cycling to work is seen as both practical and politically correct. The country’s 81 million people own some 72 million bicycles, according to government figures. One in five Germans rides his or her two-wheeler daily, a recent study by Forsa institute for insurer CosmosDirekt showed.
Wow, almost 1 bike per person and 20% daily usage is huge. I don't think that would ever happen here.
Old 10-27-15, 09:21 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikebreak
Wow, almost 1 bike per person and 20% daily usage is huge. I don't think that would ever happen here.
Knowing where 'here' is would make your comment more meaningful.
Old 10-27-15, 09:27 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
They don't right turn on red either unless there is a specific sign allowing it.
Old 10-27-15, 09:27 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
Would Germans Ever Cross the Street on a Red Light? - WSJ

About 5% of the US population old enough to ride a bike rides a bike at least twice a week.

-mr. bill
Old 10-27-15, 09:39 AM
nolatom

Bikes: 1962 Phillips, 199? Klein Quantum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read the WSJ article this morning. It's more a commentary on the German psyche than on cycling. But a question cyclists deal with--red light. Not another soul around. Germans wait. I don't, but this is New Orleans, more of a laissez le whatever do whatever, kind of place. Between "always wait" and "always go" are infinite shades of gray. Bikes around here yield when there's something to yield to and there's a stop sign or red light. Do I sometimes sneak up sidewalks around downtown traffic when there' no one on the sidewalk? I plead the Fifth. Do I do this in front of a cop? No.

Last edited by nolatom; 10-27-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 02:07 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
About 5% of the US population old enough to ride a bike rides a bike at least twice a week.

-mr. bill
How many old enough to drive a car rides a bike at least once a week?
Old 10-27-15, 08:25 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Sorry, the survey didn't ask that question.

More than once a year but less or equal to twice a month.
More than twice a month but less than twice a week.
Twice a week or more.

If you actually want an answer to your question I suggest you fund your own study.

-mr. bill
Old 10-27-15, 08:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Considering the anecdotes about rampant bike theft in German cities I'd assumed one person has 20% of all the bicycles. Probably true of NYC and a few other US cities too.

And if the Facebook photos from one of my Dutch contacts offer an accurate picture, nobody in Holland ever steals a bike, and every man, woman and child rides a bike, except for couples in love who share a bike with the significant other perched fetchingly on the amazingly sturdy rear racks.
Old 10-27-15, 11:05 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't run either.
Old 10-27-15, 11:12 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Considering the anecdotes about rampant bike theft in German cities I'd assumed one person has 20% of all the bicycles. Probably true of NYC and a few other US cities too.
i saw hundreds of barely locked bikes all over Munich that wouldn't have lasted an hour in Vancouver before being stolen. I don't know about other German cities but Munich seemed very bike friendly.
Old 10-28-15, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I remember being in Munich in '85 and walking to the train station very early in the morning. There was no traffic to speak of at a big intersection with excellent sight lines. The few pedestrians there were at that hour still waited for the walk sign before crossing the street. I wanted to just go but couldn't bring myself to do it.
Old 11-03-15, 09:32 AM
nolatom

Bikes: 1962 Phillips, 199? Klein Quantum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Countries have their own personality regarding obedience versus scofflawing, a variety based on culture i guess.

Cities too? Recently I rode in Seattle, mostly downtown/Lake Union area. Bikes stopped for red lights and stop signs. Pedestrians mostly didn't jaywalk. So I tried to do the same, walking or riding, I want to fit in, and, uh, not get killed.

Also a brief stay in Honolulu, rented a bike, went all over the city, Waikiki, and up to Diamond Head. To generalize, Asian visitors didn't jaywalk or bike against the lights. Locals, American tourists including me, not so much.

Kind of like New Orleans, where I ride. Laissez-faire culture for the most part, and folks ride that way.

So "when in Rome", I try to ride like the Romans..
Old 11-03-15, 09:52 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
yes of course, they do all the time.
Old 11-03-15, 10:49 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by nolatom
Countries have their own personality regarding obedience versus scofflawing, a variety based on culture i guess.

Cities too? Recently I rode in Seattle, mostly downtown/Lake Union area. Bikes stopped for red lights and stop signs. Pedestrians mostly didn't jaywalk. So I tried to do the same, walking or riding, I want to fit in, and, uh, not get killed.

Also a brief stay in Honolulu, rented a bike, went all over the city, Waikiki, and up to Diamond Head. To generalize, Asian visitors didn't jaywalk or bike against the lights. Locals, American tourists including me, not so much.

Kind of like New Orleans, where I ride. Laissez-faire culture for the most part, and folks ride that way.

So "when in Rome", I try to ride like the Romans..
When I bike toured in Baja, the locals tended to give cyclists a wide passing... well into the middle of the road... the Americans (you can tell by the license plates) gave no room what so ever. Different cultures indeed.
Old 11-03-15, 05:10 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
My mom in Germany turned 70 a few weeks ago and she does all her local errands by bicycle. Ok she has an assist ebike but still she prefers the bike over the car. And yes we have strict rules over there.
But I am not sure it is a good idea to loosen the laws of crossing a street at a red light. Especially when kids are present: "Why should we kids stop, when the adults don't stop?".
This could give them a wrong signal and put them in danger if they start to ignoring red lights.
Here in the US I even stop at a stop sign when I have my daughter with me. But when I am all by myself and there is no traffic I never stop ....
But what I don't like in Germany is that one can have the drivers license revoked if the cops catch you riding a bike while under the influence. Meaning riding a bike when drinking is no option. One has to walk or use public transport or Taxi.