Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride that old steel road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 05:51 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Even taking the rider out of the picture, a top quality steel bike from the mid-to-late eighties is going to give very nearly the same performance as the very latest carbon bike. The weight difference is going to be 5-7 pounds, which will make a slight difference on long and/or steep hills. And that's about it. (Ignoring, of course, the nonsense from the guy who just dropped $10,000 and is sure that his bike is "way better than anything I've ever ridden!!!")

But as an answer to "Why do you ride that old thing?", well, "Because the only difference between this bike and the latest carbon bike is weight, and that amounts to so little under real world conditions that I'm not really concerned about it" is a bit of a mouthful on the bike path. So I generally abbreviate it to "**** you".
Old 04-22-12, 06:26 PM
Tuc
collector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it is simple, I can both afford and have ridden the latest, greatest techno marvels that belong to my friends with stunted appendages and the only negative thing I have to say about those gorgeously beautiful works of art is that they squeak like a little terrified mouse when you ride them anywhere but on butter pavement. And my friends all say, yes, but I was going to take it back to the shop to get rid of that noise,.... Steel is real.
Old 04-22-12, 06:44 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by MightyLegnano
There are wonderful carbon road bikes or even high end aluminium ones that feels like a breeze in your legs. They are fast, agile, reliable and super responsive. The look manly and futuristic and you are getting cool points just by riding them. Some though, choose to ride beat up, heavy oldschool road bikes instead. Why?

Please express yourself.

I ride them because I feel like they are my adoptees. I took them almost dead and with some work & a little bit of live now they are happy and alive again. And also because each one has a history to tell
I don't think that you know anything about a good steel bike. Since yours are adoptees, I assume that they are more on the heavy crap side of the fence and not a classic italian steel frame.

But to answer your question, I have a carbon frame and an aluminum bike, and lots of steel frames. I don't ride the aluminum bike or one of the steel bikes not because of the frame but because they have straight handlebars and I don't find that comfortable for long rides. I like steel bikes because my older ones have nice lug work and I think they look really nice and different from the bikes that all the new riders are riding today.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-22-12, 07:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Nothing else feels like old, quality steel. And it looks better too.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-22-12, 07:14 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightshade
The one main reason steel bike are superior to other frame materials is.........steel it real.....carbon/aluminum is not......which is why high frequency road vibrations will tear cabon/aluminum apart in time.
Bovine fecal matter.
Old 04-22-12, 07:29 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Because I haven't found anything using "modern" materials that replicates the magic carpet ride of steel. I have aluminum bikes and those get theirs as well, but for just cruising, especially with slower riders in the pack, it's tough to beat the comfort that steel affords.

N+1, steel has its place.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 04-22-12, 08:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Nothing else feels like old, quality steel. And it looks better too.
This is a steel frame bike. So much for that idea:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikepor...7607671768898/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-22-12, 10:44 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Some bikes are junk when they're new and just further deteriorate with lack of attention. Some bikes are amazing examples of craftsmanship and engineering and with proper care and maintenaince, are still great rides 40 years later.
Old 04-22-12, 11:56 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
So much for the affordability part, since that is why a number of cyclists gravitate towards an older steel bike in the first place.
The question was not "why do you ride a cheap bike?" it was "why do you ride that old steel bike?"

But if economy is your goal, steel road bikes from thirty or forty years ago are sometimes of excellent quality and fairly cheap. I have a Raleigh Royal from the early eighties that has a Reynolds 531 frameset and cost me less than $150. It's a terrific bike. I also have a Giant TCR carbon road bike that cost over $2000. It too is a terrific bike. I ride the Raleigh more often that the Giant. It's a more versatile bike and just as nice to ride.
Old 04-23-12, 01:31 AM
MightyLegnano
The bike plague

Bikes: 70's Legnano Road Bike, Late 70's Mercier Road Bike, Ideal Target Mountain Bike, Specialized crosstrail trekking bike and a unicycle

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I don't think that you know anything about a good steel bike. Since yours are adoptees, I assume that they are more on the heavy crap side of the fence and not a classic italian steel frame.

But to answer your question, I have a carbon frame and an aluminum bike, and lots of steel frames. I don't ride the aluminum bike or one of the steel bikes not because of the frame but because they have straight handlebars and I don't find that comfortable for long rides. I like steel bikes because my older ones have nice lug work and I think they look really nice and different from the bikes that all the new riders are riding today.
I own an Italian Legnano Corsa road bike with original components (down to the bolts), a french Mercier Special Tour De France road bike with new components, an Ideal Target mountain bike/tourer with new components and a high end modern full suspension alluminium Ideal Vsr Pro. I've rolled on them for hundreds of thousands of miles all around my country (races, touring, commuting). The 3 of 4 bikes are made of steel as you may already know. The best steel available at the time. So, I may not be a frame builder but I've ridden on good steel ALL my life. So, I'm sorry but I know about good steel bikes.

And I think you've got wrong my intentions. My original post wasn't written in a literal sense, more in a poetic exaggerated way to make us all externalize our adoration for the beauty of great old bikes.

Last edited by MightyLegnano; 04-23-12 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 05:55 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Because I am a loner, a rebel.
Old 04-23-12, 09:37 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I ride my old steel road bike because it is fast, agile, reliable and super responsive.
It isn't heavy or beat up though and that would be my steel framed commuter which is only heavy because of all the stuff it carries.
There it is. For some reason, when people bash steel bikes, they seem to be talking about the steel bikes made in about 1955.
And if I worried whether my bike looked "manly," I'd be worried.
Old 04-23-12, 09:39 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
Bovine fecal matter.
Wrong. The world is full of 40-year-old steel bikes. You're never going to see that with carbon.
Old 04-23-12, 09:48 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just like the compliant, comfortable ride a steel frame gives me. It's predictable.

Alan
Old 04-23-12, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What do you mean, old steel bike?, it was new back when I bought it
Old 04-23-12, 12:54 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Because it has broke yet?

Last edited by Booger1; 04-23-12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 02:47 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
It's good enough.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-23-12, 03:04 PM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
As a nice weather commuter my Team Miyata from 87 is just great. Fast and fun and absolutely the cheapest way to get a great ride to work.
Old 04-23-12, 03:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
My first real road bike was a Vicount made with 4020 or 30 steel. Even back then the goal was less weight and less flex at the bottom bracket.
The Viscount frame was straight-gauge chrome-moly, and quite thin walled, which made it more flexy than high-end frames built using double-butted tubing. But it was quite a bargain in its day.

At some point steel had to mutate with the addition of alloys to get to 531, and finally to 951 with the addition of airhardening. But 951 is as far from Schwinn Varsity steel as Titanium. Steel is a long way from iron as well.
Reynolds 531 first hit the market in 1935 and dominated high end steel frames for half a century. The new alloys are not necessarily stronger than 531, but rather more amenable to modern manufacturing methods -- e.g. TIG welding and automated processes rather than low temperature hand brazing.
Old 04-23-12, 03:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I don't know. With a username like "MightyLegnano" I suspect he might know a thing or two about classic Italian steel frames.
Old 04-23-12, 03:32 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like all bikes. I have both aluminum and steel and enjoy both. I honestly feel more secure on a steel frame only because of my size (big clyde). But I don't worry on my aluminum framed bike. I enjoy the "bouncy" ride that my steel bikes give me.
Old 04-23-12, 05:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
riding my Varsity is surprisingly enjoyable.
Old 04-23-12, 07:18 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
i am fortunate to own several bikes ranging from an "old steel" to a "carbon wonder", including a "modern steel" frame; selecting the right tool for the job analogy fits when deciding what to ride. often the old steel just feels nicer, i also like my bamboo fly rod, prefer a manual transmission in my car and still use a slide rule - all because they please me.
Old 04-23-12, 07:35 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Durability, utility.
+1 oh and cost
Old 04-23-12, 07:58 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
What do you mean, old steel bike?, it was new back when I bought it
+1 :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.