Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I went and did it... iPad 3G for next tour...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 04:52 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let's get this out of the way first. What an over priced jumbo sized IPod Touch! I haven't even opened the box yet. My plan is to head out next week on tour down the Pacific Coast with it. I will be selling it upon completion of the tour on the Bay. One thing I figured is that apple fan boys love paying to much for this stuff used as well.

Why you ask then did I buy it? Well I don't need a mifi and my Black Berry doesn't tether. I don't have to sign up for any contract and like most current Apple products they seem to have decent resale.

Time will tell if this was a good idea or not. Stay tuned for pic's and raves or rants about this thing for the next month.

That is all,

Kayakdiver
Old 08-19-10, 05:11 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I barely use mine, and don't have much interest in taking it on tour. I stick to an ebook reader (smaller, lighter, much longer battery life), a smartphone, and a transistor radio.

That's about as close to "unplugged" as my work allows me to get these days.
Old 08-19-10, 05:19 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may find the same thing myself... All I can say is thanks to the fan boys I shouldn't be out much if I don't like it.
Old 08-19-10, 05:45 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakdiver
All I can say is thanks to the fan boys I shouldn't be out much if I don't like it.
Unless Apple announces the rumored 7" iPad before you try to sell it...
Old 08-19-10, 06:19 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has one and it's good for what it does, but I'm not sure if I could plug in my Garmin to download my daily files like I can with a real computer. If I was going to go to the trouble of carrying around a computer/quasi computer on a bike trip, that's something I would want it to do.
Old 08-19-10, 06:35 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SBRDude
My wife has one and it's good for what it does, but I'm not sure if I could plug in my Garmin to download my daily files like I can with a real computer. If I was going to go to the trouble of carrying around a computer/quasi computer on a bike trip, that's something I would want it to do.
All very valid points for sure. I've given up on touring with my Garmin Edge 305. I love all the data but for touring it's just overkill to me. My blackberry gps works well enough if not better since my 305 doesn't do maps anyways. Will miss geeking out on all the stats though. Plan to put my old Planet bike computer on for this tour. I will find out one way or the other if a work around has been made for the Garmin though.... May have to look into a little Jail Break.
Old 08-19-10, 07:37 PM
vautrain

Bikes: Several, all steel and 650b

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to ask if you're so skeptical about the utility of this thing, why didn't you just go with a netbook instead?
Old 08-19-10, 08:25 PM
MattP.
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know if the iPad 3G coverage is the same 3G coverage as that with the iPhone, but I just completed the Pacific Coast (Seattle-San Fran) yesterday and I had 3G in Seattle and San Fran and pretty much nowhere in between. Just something to note!
Old 08-19-10, 08:37 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattP.
I don't know if the iPad 3G coverage is the same 3G coverage as that with the iPhone, but I just completed the Pacific Coast (Seattle-San Fran) yesterday and I had 3G in Seattle and San Fran and pretty much nowhere in between. Just something to note!
That's not great to hear. Sounds like I'll be searching out Starbucks and Micky D's along the route then.
Old 08-19-10, 08:40 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drove from Seattle to Portland (on the highways west of the sound, not I5) last week and my wife played Mrs. Google the whole way down on her iPad. Worked like a charm, so maybe it depends on where you are.
Old 08-19-10, 09:10 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my little AsperOne computerit works well for me.It has the full Windows 7 on it too.Its not slow like some said it would be.Very small and I use it all the time I am on it now.2 Gb of memory 160 HD under 3 pounds.I like it anyway.
Old 08-19-10, 11:20 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's not great to hear. Sounds like I'll be searching out Starbucks and Micky D's along the route then.
How far are you going? I rode from SF to LA in September of last year and had cell coverage (usually 3G, sometimes EDGE) most of the way. Wasn't using my iPhone continuously, but there were only a couple of spots when I wanted to use it and didn't have coverage. Coverage in the Big Sur area was a bit spotty, but other that it wasn't bad...
Old 08-20-10, 12:19 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Let's get this out of the way first. What an over priced jumbo sized IPod Touch! I haven't even opened the box yet. My plan is to head out next week on tour down the Pacific Coast with it. I will be selling it upon completion of the tour on the Bay. One thing I figured is that apple fan boys love paying to much for this stuff used as well.

Why you ask then did I buy it? Well I don't need a mifi and my Black Berry doesn't tether. I don't have to sign up for any contract and like most current Apple products they seem to have decent resale.

Time will tell if this was a good idea or not. Stay tuned for pic's and raves or rants about this thing for the next month.

That is all,

Kayakdiver
Ok I admit I was read to say how silly you are and how crappy the ipad is, but your plan is sound (reselling it) and you came across intelligent and knowledgeable about the ipad flaws so I take it back!

Having said that I will be sticking with my eee (which I am typing on at this moment) It has been everywhere with me... dropped, stepped on charged by generator and solar power and still I can watch movies while I type this (amazing!). I have even slept with it next to me in bed. I would never spend a dime on a failpad.
Old 08-20-10, 12:32 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aquakitty
Ok I admit I was read to say how silly you are and how crappy the ipad is, but your plan is sound (reselling it) and you came across intelligent and knowledgeable about the ipad flaws so I take it back!

Having said that I will be sticking with my eee (which I am typing on at this moment) It has been everywhere with me... dropped, stepped on charged by generator and solar power and still I can watch movies while I type this (amazing!). I have even slept with it next to me in bed. I would never spend a dime on a failpad.
Trust me... I considered a netbook long and hard before going this route. I weighed everything and well it's just like a touring bike..... No such thing as a perfect anything.

My bike and all my gear are dialed.. have been dialed in for years. The only unknown I'm taking along will be the iPad. Everything else is proven itself over the years as rational decision. This may or may not be...... time will tell. Wish me luck
Old 08-20-10, 07:29 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crazy long battery life.... As advertised. Still need to find the dongle thing for uploading my digital camera files. That has been problematic finding one in stock. I've finally located one about 70 miles away.

I guess I have a road trip in my future.....
Old 08-20-10, 10:32 PM
Fishy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken mine on several business trips and one (short) bike tour - I'm on the east coast and basically have 3G wherever I go. It'll flip to EDGE once in a while, but with the exception of far western Massachusetts, 3G is the rule. (For whatever issues AT&T has, it does well by me - my 3G service generally doubles the speed of my office DSL.)

As for the iPad, I enjoy it - I have found myself using it far more than I thought I would. It's essentially replaced my Asus EeePC.
Old 08-20-10, 11:51 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I use my iPhone for phone, internet, blogging, email and photos, but I'm looking forward to the 5" smartphones running Android.
Old 08-21-10, 12:01 AM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
I use my iPhone for phone, internet, blogging, email and photos, but I'm looking forward to the 5" smartphones running Android.
These look interesting for sure. The only one I've seen so far online but not in person is the Streak from Dell. I'm sure as time goes on they will become more common.

My Blackberry can do most of these things as well. Like mentioned... I'm more interested in seeing how I like having it along. If it doesn't work it will be a failed trial and will be shipped home. I can see myself enjoying journaling more with the larger screen. Watching a movie in the tent at night should be a lot more enjoyable as well.