Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Callin the Hawgs"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

"Callin the Hawgs"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 09:20 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Callin the Hawgs"

Any Razorbacks out there? I'm your Okie neighbor although I have Arkansas roots my mom was born and raised in Monticello and a majority of my childhood vacations were spent there.
Anyway I digress. We are having a family reunion, yes my mom's side(the Hobbs) at DeGray Lake State Park in mid October. I'm going to be there for almost two full days, wondering if it's worth taking a bike, either road or gravel. Anyone familiar with the cycling in that area I'd value your thoughts. Thanks.
Old 08-23-22, 09:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
You might try the regional sub forum. I've only been to Arkansas once, years ago and we rode ATVs.

Some of my friends took gravel bikes to northwest Arkansas earlier this year and they said it was fantastic. Somehow they got ahold of a local who helped them with routes. They all said they would go back. Lots of beautiful dirt roads.
Old 08-24-22, 11:09 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by oujeep1
Any Razorbacks out there? I'm your Okie neighbor although I have Arkansas roots my mom was born and raised in Monticello and a majority of my childhood vacations were spent there.
Anyway I digress. We are having a family reunion, yes my mom's side(the Hobbs) at DeGray Lake State Park in mid October. I'm going to be there for almost two full days, wondering if it's worth taking a bike, either road or gravel. Anyone familiar with the cycling in that area I'd value your thoughts. Thanks.
Lived in Little Rock for ~7 years in the early 2000's. Cycling around LR is great - hills to the west - great for long solo rides. Hot flat delta country to the east - long straight roads, great for fast pace lines. Hot as Hades in July/August - get on the road by sunrise or you'll fry - however, October should be delightful. Dogs everywhere (certainly outside of LR - you got used to them, but they were still a PITA). I did a couple of centuries up in the northwest around Fayetteville - hilly and wooded - very good road cycling. The terrain around DeGrey Lake is also pretty hilly and scenic. If you're driving over and you can simply stick the bike in/on the car, I'd do it.