Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4953 Post(s)
Liked 8,095 Times in 3,831 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, more power than sense would be a definite problem but, frankly, my first concern on an A- or even B-ride would be the possibility of resentment from others. I think that, once there's an element of suffering involved, folks may side-eye the e-bike riders, 'specially if the e-bike riders aren't really tactful, and I just wouldn't want that kind of wedge forming within the group.
Valid point. My mental image was of guys who have paid their dues. You're probably right, though.
Old 07-11-22, 02:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,052 Times in 4,479 Posts
Oh, more power than sense would be a definite problem but, frankly, my first concern on an A- or even B-ride would be the possibility of resentment from others. I think that, once there's an element of suffering involved, folks may side-eye the e-bike riders, 'specially if the e-bike riders aren't really tactful, and I just wouldn't want that kind of wedge forming within the group.
The two that I ride with are very tactful, and everyone likes them and many of us have known them for years, decades in my case. They both raced for years and are highly skilled bike handlers.
They never try to blow up a ride or use the motor against others.
Old 07-11-22, 02:56 PM
big john

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree 100%. Even with age, endurance at a modest pace is very realistic. Just remember to eat, drink, and stretch.
To me, the climbing is the big factor. I don't think I want to do another 10,000 foot century but a flat one wouldn't be a problem. Probably.
Old 07-11-22, 02:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10434 Post(s)
Liked 11,911 Times in 6,100 Posts
Oof - yeah, that'd be a tough one. IMO, the more aggressive the ride, the less disposed I'd be towards them. A or even B ride? Nah. C ride? I could see it.
That's also my thinking. Casual, no-drop rides? Sure. Competitive rides? Nope.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-11-22, 02:57 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
Valid point. My mental image was of guys who have paid their dues. You're probably right, though.
Even Skarin rides an e-bike now, and he's a 2 time Olympian and won a ton of races.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-11-22, 03:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The two that I ride with are very tactful, and everyone likes them and many of us have known them for years, decades in my case. They both raced for years and are highly skilled bike handlers.
They never try to blow up a ride or use the motor against others.
Yeah, I can see a wide range of results, depending upon the size of the group and the individuals within the group. In some groups, I could see it being awesome - leveling ability and letting people enjoy more time together. I do think, though, that as groups trend towards larger and/or more competitive, the more problematic they could be. I'm a pretty easy-going guy, but I can also be competitive - if someone with a motor tried to beat me to a town sign or to the top of a hill, I might not be okay with that in the heat of the moment.
Old 07-11-22, 03:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Thread needs more cats.

Jackie is happy to assist:

Old 07-11-22, 03:36 PM
big john

Yeah, I can see a wide range of results, depending upon the size of the group and the individuals within the group. In some groups, I could see it being awesome - leveling ability and letting people enjoy more time together. I do think, though, that as groups trend towards larger and/or more competitive, the more problematic they could be. I'm a pretty easy-going guy, but I can also be competitive - if someone with a motor tried to beat me to a town sign or to the top of a hill, I might not be okay with that in the heat of the moment.
When they first got the things they would not go to club rides but did come to our smaller group rides which were no-drop for my (and others) benefit. They would go to the front and the strongest rider would then be the limiting factor. In other words, the speed increased until we backmarkers were struggling. They had no sense of how difficult it was for us because it was so easy for them. They have figured it out since then.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-11-22, 03:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Thread needs more cats.

Jackie is happy to assist:

The late, great Reds, aka Stinky McSqugglebutt, in kitty jail. I was having flooring work done, and he was due for a checkup, so he spent the day at the vet who fixed him up when he was rescued.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-22, 04:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

A few weeks back, I was riding the Canyon, and there was a rider who was taking much the same route as I did. It was one of those things where I'd passed him, then he caught up at stoplights, then I passed them again. The third time, he said something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you", which didn't initially register, but I think he thought I was on an e-bike.

Old 07-11-22, 04:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by genejockey
A few weeks back, I was riding the Canyon, and there was a rider who was taking much the same route as I did. It was one of those things where I'd passed him, then he caught up at stoplights, then I passed them again. The third time, he said something like, "It's nice when the bike does the work for you", which didn't initially register, but I think he thought I was on an e-bike.
I've had that on my mtb. It has a bulky bottom bracket area which looks like it could hide a motor.
Old 07-11-22, 05:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
I've had that on my mtb. It has a bulky bottom bracket area which looks like it could hide a motor.
The guy was about my age, +/- 5-10 years, skinny, and riding an old Kestrel. I think he didn't want to think an old fat guy was faster than him. But that was one of my "Cycling God" days. Another day, I wouldn't be.

Old 07-11-22, 05:14 PM
WhyFi

Uh huh - whatever you say, motor-doper
Old 07-11-22, 05:16 PM
WhyFi

I think he didn't want to think an old fat guy was faster than him. But that was one of my "Cycling God" days. Another day, I wouldn't be.
I have the opposite problem - people seeing my glorious legs and wondering why I'm not faster.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-11-22, 05:18 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Increasing range while maintaining intensity and duration would be a really cool thing - getting to see more and varied terrain would be a really nice benefit and motivator.

....but I'd put money on you doing a century without. I would bet that more people would have problems with the position-related fatigue rather than the effort necessary. You really don't need to move that fast if you're comfortable.
An ebike would be good for smoothing out the effort on the hills on the 80% of training one is supposed to be doing at very low intensity. Some experts, e.g., Iñigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.
Old 07-11-22, 05:21 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Some experts, e.g., Iñigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.
Damn it - I have enough things to work up my anxiety and now you tell me this? ​​​​​
Old 07-11-22, 05:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Uh huh - whatever you say, motor-doper
Not me! I'm just a garden variety dope.

Old 07-11-22, 05:24 PM
WhyFi

Some experts, e.g., Iñigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.
Oh, and FYI, I've been doing some intermittent fasting. Might try some real deal, multi-day fasting, too - I've got enough stores.
Old 07-11-22, 05:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Not me! I'm just a garden variety dope.
I know a few guys who plant dope in their garden.
Old 07-11-22, 05:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
May have to get a Vivax motor for the comfort bike.
Old 07-11-22, 05:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I know a few guys who plant dope in their garden.
I know a few who plant it in their 10 to 20 acre gardens.
Old 07-11-22, 05:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, and FYI, I've been doing some intermittent fasting. Might try some real deal, multi-day fasting, too - I've got enough stores.
I'm more the intermittent overeating kind of guy.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-11-22, 05:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I'm more the intermittent overeating kind of guy.
I resemble this remark.
Old 07-11-22, 05:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

An ebike would be good for smoothing out the effort on the hills on the 80% of training one is supposed to be doing at very low intensity. Some experts, e.g., Iñigo San Millan, speculate that a single excursion out of zone with a lactate surge can flip you out of aerobic metabolism and preferential fat burning and into glycolysis for the rest of the ride.
This must be why I'm still over 200 lbs. There are too many climbs on my Sunday route, causing me to flip into glycolysis.

Yeah, that must be it. It's not the ice cream and chips. It's the hills.

Old 07-11-22, 05:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Damn it - I have enough things to work up my anxiety and now you tell me this? ​​​​​
Right?

And on my extended commutes through the park where all the weird, out of shape, aggro riders are, I am now a soft target for anyone with something to prove.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.