Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ionic Road Bikes (Dean) ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 12:03 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts

I'm hoping people can post their Ionic road bike, and say something about the build/ride quality/tubes/company.

As I understand, they started in Idaho focusing more on mtb frames. Then they were a Dean house brand for road frames with custom options.

Wondering if anyone has an experience with their road frames. I've read something about Teesdale being involved in building them but can't confirm as there is little information about either Teesdale or Ionic online.

Apparently they made some light frames with S3, Foco, and 853 and would sometimes blend the tubesets for the buyer/rider to fit.

I would love if anyone could share information or post any pictures regarding this early 2000s era company.
Old 10-09-23, 04:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7050 Post(s)
Liked 11,101 Times in 4,741 Posts
I'm not sure that I'd want to ride an ionic bike. I don't know much about physics, but it seems a bit dangerous.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-09-23, 07:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
I think I remember Ionic roadies; inexepensive, online only frames, but nice spec/tubing. IIRC, I looked at them when I was replacing my old Diamondback Master TG, but wound up on a Cannondale. Believe it or not, I’ve still got the “blueberry” iBook I would have used back around ‘01, so if I could fire it up, maybe there’s a cached webpage or iIonic mage on there somewhere! Haha! Anyway, sorry I can’t help.
Old 10-09-23, 08:02 PM
celesteguy 

Yes, it seems they were around half the price of the competition at the time. Didn't know they might have been online only, but that makes sense as to why very few people have heard of them and you don't see them around. I recently bought one of their frames from a bike shop, and I'm waiting to have it shipped. I don't know anything about it which is why I am interested, but I'll post a couple of pics and specs when I get the frame as well as when I build it up. If it's in the 3 pound range, I'll weight weenie it, and if it's in the 4 pound range, I'll build it with SRAM rival. Either way, I'm hoping for a nice steel ride.
Old 10-09-23, 10:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
Yes, it seems they were around half the price of the competition at the time. Didn't know they might have been online only, but that makes sense as to why very few people have heard of them and you don't see them around. I recently bought one of their frames from a bike shop, and I'm waiting to have it shipped. I don't know anything about it which is why I am interested, but I'll post a couple of pics and specs when I get the frame as well as when I build it up. If it's in the 3 pound range, I'll weight weenie it, and if it's in the 4 pound range, I'll build it with SRAM rival. Either way, I'm hoping for a nice steel ride.
Looking at the Ionic website archives, it says they used Columbus Zona for the first Nemis model, so while not Columbus’ top tier tubeset, could be sub 4lbs in that 54cm-56cm size range. In any case, it’ll be fun to see what you got, so do post pics!
Old 10-11-23, 09:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,417 Times in 2,985 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure that I'd want to ride an ionic bike. I don't know much about physics, but it seems a bit dangerous.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now."

-- Buckaroo Banzai, physicist
Old 10-24-23, 08:42 PM
celesteguy 

Well, I don't have any pics, other than the jacked up box it came in with the derailleur hanger poking out the side, and close ups of the cracks and dents in the frame.

Ugh. I sent it back and got a refund.

FWIW it was a size 54 and weighed 3.4 lbs. Shaped downtube and ovalized chainstays, though not the classic Foco ones. No tubing sticker on it, just the painted frane that said Ionic.