Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do I need an aluminum frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do I need an aluminum frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 09:08 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by JochenRindt
I have four vintage lightweight steel framed road bikes that I love and want to preserve / protect accordingly. This season I started riding again in earnest after a few years off, and I've noticed that after riding in conditions that are wet or even just a bit damp, I have to wipe the bike down. The last thing I want on my bikes is rust, so I'm quite stringent about keeping them clean and oiled. I suppose now that I'm older, I don't necessarily feel like cleaning my bike after ever wet or damp ride. In short, I think I might like to have an aluminum frame that I can ride in the wet and not have to worry about cleaning afterward because it won't rust.
Unless you are defining "rust" as an oxide of iron, then you are confused. Aluminum oxidizes just like iron does. A paint scratch and a little salt & water and you have aluminum oxide (that white powder seen on corroded Al parts). Same for a steel frame. If you are worried about corrosion, titanium and carbon fiber composites are the answer, at a cost premium. And don't pay any attention to the "aluminum frames ride harshly" nonsense. You can design a compliant frame in any material, or a ridiculously stiff frame likewise.
Old 08-23-23, 01:59 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
If you really want a maintenance free bike (but with some performance trade-offs), get an aluminum frame with a belt drive and IGH. I have one of those for my commuter/around town bike. The IGH is a bit heavy, but the bike is basically maintenance free. You might as well get one with disc brakes too - they're better in the rain.
True. Have an Al frame/CF fork, belt drive, Alfine 11 city bike (38mm tires) that's silent and dependable. The only observed rust/corrosion is steel fasteners, triggered by sweat, while the frame is pristine apart from a couple dents. Easily 2,000 commutes on it, 20k miles. While it's not maintenance free there are vastly fewer wear parts than a typical drivetrain. Belt is original but I confess the weak point of the Alfine is seals--some are replaceable and others are not. I have a shop change the oil, which is the main maintenance item along with brake pads and bleeding.

The back wheel is a thumping 6 pounds, the main Alfine downside. Would love a Rohloff bike but they're scarce.

Between the CF fork and a suspension seatpost, ride on lousy city streets is much better than a road bike.
Old 08-23-23, 02:48 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Unless you are defining "rust" as an oxide of iron, then you are confused. Aluminum oxidizes just like iron does. A paint scratch and a little salt & water and you have aluminum oxide (that white powder seen on corroded Al parts). Same for a steel frame. If you are worried about corrosion, titanium and carbon fiber composites are the answer, at a cost premium. And don't pay any attention to the "aluminum frames ride harshly" nonsense. You can design a compliant frame in any material, or a ridiculously stiff frame likewise.
All true. The one notable difference between aluminum and steel corrosion in bikes, though, is that once steel starts corroding, it tends to continue doing so ("rust never sleeps"), whereas after the surface layer of white powder appears, aluminum corrosion usually halts.
Old 08-23-23, 02:52 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
True. Have an Al frame/CF fork, belt drive, Alfine 11 city bike (38mm tires) that's silent and dependable. The only observed rust/corrosion is steel fasteners, triggered by sweat, while the frame is pristine apart from a couple dents. Easily 2,000 commutes on it, 20k miles. While it's not maintenance free there are vastly fewer wear parts than a typical drivetrain. Belt is original but I confess the weak point of the Alfine is seals--some are replaceable and others are not. I have a shop change the oil, which is the main maintenance item along with brake pads and bleeding.

The back wheel is a thumping 6 pounds, the main Alfine downside. Would love a Rohloff bike but they're scarce.

Between the CF fork and a suspension seatpost, ride on lousy city streets is much better than a road bike.
Rohloffs are excellent, but I don't think they are any lighter than Alfine. Am I wrong?
Old 08-24-23, 07:05 PM
jmm77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Many of the new modern steel frames are treated inside the tubes, so no worries about rust there. ED coated.
Old 08-24-23, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 2,689 Posts
Another +1 for titanium, great ride and no need to worry about it at all and no need to paint it either.

However you can ride steel in the rain. It won't just rust away to nothing unless the inside isn't coated (frame saver or an ED coat as jmm77 mentioned which is common on new frames) and the outside is also completely raw but even then it will probably take some time. Powdercoat the outside and frame save the inside and no real need to worry plus you get an opportunity to overhaul a bike and make sure nothing is seized and clean everything up real nice and replace old bearings and stuff like that and get something fresh.

I would only buy an aluminum bike if I had to because what I wanted simply didn't exist in steel or titanium. However I would generally still want and need to wipe it down and clean it just like I would with any other bikes. However that wipe down I usually did was a quick one and then I would probably lube the chain but if I did a titanium single speed or IGH bike with a belt I wouldn't really do any of that but would still clean it once and while.
Old 08-25-23, 05:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,492 Times in 1,843 Posts
The benefit (IMO) of an Al frame is that you can get a very good, reasonably light Al frame for less than other materials. If you want a bike for certain situations only, and don't want to drop a ton of money, but still expect a certain level of quality, and AL frame is generally the way to go.
Old 08-25-23, 06:49 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I never wash any of my bikes anymore. My steel frame Bianchi frame lasted 40 years before I got the urge to paint it. The worst rust was from sweating on it while using it in a stationary trainer.
Old 08-26-23, 12:57 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Rohloffs are excellent, but I don't think they are any lighter than Alfine. Am I wrong?
They seem to be close to par, weightwise. The Rohollf advantages are in more gears (14 vs. 11) evenly spaced, and wider range (526% vs. 409%), with the complication of twin-cable shift. Having only owned Alfine, I read the Rohloff is more rugged and easier for owner maintenance. I don't think, for example, they leak.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 08-26-23, 01:15 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Originally Posted by Rick_D
They seem to be close to par, weightwise. The Rohollf advantages are in more gears (14 vs. 11) evenly spaced, and wider range (526% vs. 409%), with the complication of twin-cable shift. Having only owned Alfine, I read the Rohloff is more rugged and easier for owner maintenance. I don't think, for example, they leak.
Yes - the Rohloff is (from what I hear) better than the Alfine. But it isn't any lighter, and it's about 3 or 4x the price. Probably worth it if you're heading out on a long bike trekking expedition, but probably not if you're just using it for day rides or commuting.

I have Alfine 8 on my commuter/town bike. It only has a 307% range, which is sufficient for my in town rides. On the plus side, it costs just over $200.

Alfine 11 has a 409% range, but it's double the price, at over $400.

The Rohloff Speedhub has a 525% range, but it costs around $1,500. That's just a completely different category of component.You can buy an entire groupset -- like 105 Di2 or Campy Ekar or Chorus -- for around that price. To me, the Rohloff is a specialty product for things like bike trekking where you need excellent gear range, maximum durability, and minimum maintenance.
Old 08-26-23, 01:22 PM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by eljayski
+ 1
Ti rides about like steel, which is to say, very nicely.
My understanding is that aluminum doesn't ride nearly as well.
Good luck with your quest!
Eh -- it depends on the particular frame. I've owned steel, aluminum and carbon frames (never Ti). It depends a ton on the design and build quality. I currently own 1 carbon and 2 aluminum alloys. I don't think generalizations about materials are really that accurate any more. I've had good and bad experiences with various frame materials.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-26-23, 02:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
IME with steel frames, I think most people are just too worried about steel frames rusting out... Most steel frames outlast their owners. Spray the inside with some type of rustproofing oil and ride the heck out of it and enjoy.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-26-23, 02:17 PM
Rick_D

I'd been pondering ordering a Budnitz with Rohloff but they sadly folded before I could press the "buy" button. I wouldn't swap out my current Alfine drive for a Rohloff because the bike doesn't warrant that much of an upgrade. Also guessing it's a pretty complex conversion.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 08-26-23, 03:22 PM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by wolfchild
IME with steel frames, I think most people are just too worried about steel frames rusting out... Most steel frames outlast their owners. Spray the inside with some type of rustproofing oil and ride the heck out of it and enjoy.
When I first moved to California in the 1990s, I rented a funny little place on a hill overlooking the ocean, a few blocks away. It was a weird arrangement of a sub-divided house, and I didn't have a garage, so I stored my bikes on the patio for a while. Within a year, my steel Bottecchia was pretty rusty from the salt air. Yeah, I probably could have done more preventive maintenance, but that salt air goes to work pretty quickly on exposed steel. Meanwhile, my aluminum MTB was totally fine.
Old 08-26-23, 03:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When I first moved to California in the 1990s, I rented a funny little place on a hill overlooking the ocean, a few blocks away. It was a weird arrangement of a sub-divided house, and I didn't have a garage, so I stored my bikes on the patio for a while. Within a year, my steel Bottecchia was pretty rusty from the salt air. Yeah, I probably could have done more preventive maintenance, but that salt air goes to work pretty quickly on exposed steel. Meanwhile, my aluminum MTB was totally fine.
I deal with a lot of road salt here during winter time and my steel frames are just fine.
Old 08-26-23, 04:43 PM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I deal with a lot of road salt here during winter time and my steel frames are just fine.
Noted.