Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 07:53 AM
Dieptriest

Bikes: Batavus Professional '84 , MEKK Poggio '14, Peugeot PX8 '78, '70 Presto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
picture

and the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Presto001.jpg (62.0 KB, 616 views)
Old 01-13-18, 12:05 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieptriest
and the picture
Pretty Presto

Looks to be in great shape as well. Does it have a serial number under the BB ?
Old 01-13-18, 07:46 AM
Dieptriest

Bikes: Batavus Professional '84 , MEKK Poggio '14, Peugeot PX8 '78, '70 Presto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
serial number

Of Course it has a serial number under the BB, it only misses the triple X.

the number is 612, except the 'Brev Campagnolo' on the pads and 'BCM' on the lugs is this all i could find on the frame.
Attached Images
Presto002.jpg (24.2 KB, 567 views)
Old 01-13-18, 11:32 AM
Brands

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Vittorio

I am looking for information about this Vittorio frame and fork.
It has some cool drillium in the frame.
The original paint was black.
The frame number is 7843
The seat tube diameter is 26.8 mm
The length of the seat tube is 60.5 cm CT
Weight of the frame including Bottom Bracket: 2150 gram
Weight of the fork: 680 gram.

I would like to know the frame tubing and year of build.
Is anyone familiar with the frame numbering?
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9dou8L

Attached Images
vittorio1.jpg (353.8 KB, 547 views)
vittorio2.jpg (484.4 KB, 551 views)
vittorio3.jpg (387.1 KB, 551 views)
vittorio4.jpg (428.4 KB, 550 views)
Old 01-13-18, 04:35 PM
fatalflaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gazelle ?

I am not familiar with the numbers but I ran into someone a little bit ago selling a gazzele 10 speed made in Holland and I search the web and keep seeing a Raleigh bicycle from that era that was made by gazelle or made in Holland and the Raleigh looks just like this gazelle I don't want to waists your time but the above frame is very similar and I think the bike I'm looking at is early to mid 70's and I'm not sure but maybe 531 Reynolds or steel I have not been able to put my hands on the bike I'm looking at but here are pictures
Attached Images
Old 01-13-18, 06:35 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,348 Times in 2,184 Posts
------

Is the "ice cream cone" symbol on the blade of the blue Eroba in this photo a standard Eroba one? Have had two Eroba come through me shop and did not see them wearing it. Perhaps a matter of when manufactured? Thanks for any information!

-----
Old 06-06-18, 04:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 4,625 Times in 1,770 Posts
Picked up a Visser Vainqueur today, a bike that has been lingering on my wish list for quite a while. It looks rather scruffy, but apart from the drop-out adjusters and a couple of stepped ferrules it's all there. And at 62cm the size is spot-on.

More on this bicycle in a couple of weeks.

Old 06-06-18, 06:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked 5,017 Times in 1,786 Posts
And 10 years to the day from when @CV-6 started this thread here's his old bike out on the road.

Another one better showing how it's built up now.

Old 08-29-18, 09:05 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 731 Posts
No great pictures of a beautifully restored bike here, I did a half-arsed job on a bike that was a compromise to begin with, and I'm not much of a photographer. My bike needed some repairs, rear brake was broken, rear tyre wall torn and a there were quite a few small issues, some of which turned out to be big issues . So I decided for the widest tyres that would fit in, only just, and clean it too (there's a first for everything). The repair turned out to be a hell of a job, that had me a bike in the kitchen for several weeks. But I'm very happy with the end result. Allthough it has probably drifted away from it's original purpuse of beeing good and uninteresting to thieves at the same time. A thief better take it out of the city, after all the work he doesn't want to meet after I've just recognized my bike with somebody else on it.

It's still a Dutch bike for daily Dutch use and that's how I photographed it, so there is the bulky O-lock with the insert cable, and the plastic bag under the saddle (colour matched to the decals though, but I forgot to put it under nicely). I really wanted to take a nice picture that would bring out the great shine of the paint after I cleaned and polished it with an oily rag, and I saw people with camera's from my window because the light and the sky were beautiful that time. So I took the bike and my camera out, but the slope there didn't make it stand nice, it started to rain again, the camera auto-flashed and the driver that wanted to park there had been patient long enough. So the picture is compromised too. It's not even the only bike in the picture as I intended, but that's Groningen.
Old 08-29-18, 10:51 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 61 Posts
Duell Solo by Jan Van Dalen

My 1980s Duell Solo by Jan Van Dalen (Hoek van Holland, Nederland).

Campy everything (even the number hanger bolt on the bottom of the top tube is Campagnolo!) save the RD which someone replaced in the past... It bothers me!

Old 09-03-18, 06:00 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
My 1980s Duell Solo by Jan Van Dalen (Hoek van Holland, Nederland).

Campy everything (even the number hanger bolt on the bottom of the top tube is Campagnolo!) save the RD which someone replaced in the past... It bothers me!

Interesting colors on that Duell. Around Hoek van Holland Duell was a popular brand and many were custom build.
I also have a Duell Solo, made for me in 1992. It is my favorite bike.
Old 12-24-18, 09:18 AM
pullup

Someone who knew I had some Zieleman bikes contacted me if I was interested in a golden one. He had bought the bike but was mostly interested in the groupset, a completely C-record gold anodised set.
Frame happened to be my size and reasonably prized so I bought it and build it up a little bit more modern with mostly Campagnolo record titanium 8 speed parts. ( some c record)

Old 12-24-18, 11:34 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by pullup
Someone who knew I had some Zieleman bikes contacted me if I was interested in a golden one. He had bought the bike but was mostly interested in the groupset, a completely C-record gold anodised set.
Frame happened to be my size and reasonably prized so I bought it and build it up a little bit more modern with mostly Campagnolo record titanium 8 speed parts. ( some c record)
Wow. Nice. Zieleman is a frame I would break my no buy embargo for. That one is quite the looker.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-24-18, 01:13 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
More Dutchness, '77 Gazelle
Old 12-24-18, 01:32 PM
pullup

Originally Posted by jimmuller
More Dutchness, '77 Gazelle
That is a pretty coloured Gazelle, looks like a 70's Gazelle but repainted possibly? That triple is very cool
Old 12-24-18, 03:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

That is a pretty coloured Gazelle, looks like a 70's Gazelle but repainted possibly? That triple is very cool
Thank you. Yes, repainted by BF members sloar and gomango, if I get the details right. As I understand it, their intent was to duplicate an original burnt-orange color though it may not have been the original color of this bike.

As I 'splained in a different thread, this build took a long time. I had a number of distractions, plus it seemed like some details just wouldn't come together. F'rinstance, I intended to use a nice set of short-reach Shimano brakes, but it needed medium-reach. And you know, these days you can't just walk into your local LBS bike shop and buy two rolls of black cloth handlebar tape. No, no, you have to wait for them to move some over from the "other store". Or TT cable clips. Simple stuff like that.

However this is my second Gazelle. My other one, built on a frame I picked up from an eBay seller in Amsterdam, is such a superb long-distance road bike that I was really looking forward to this one. I wonder how many other BF members have two Champion Mondial Gazelles?
Old 12-24-18, 05:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Wow! Very nice. Like what you did with the build too.

What kind of finish is it? Gold-plated or cromovelato?

Old 12-24-18, 05:45 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...). I wonder how many other BF members have two Champion Mondial Gazelles?
No, not two ....

While we're on the subject: this is one of my latest finds, a 1968 Gazelle 'Race', from the days before they were called Champion Mondial (Harm Ottenbros had yet to become World Champion). Repainted and rebranded as a Bontekoe.

Old 12-25-18, 01:47 AM
pullup

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Wow! Very nice. Like what you did with the build too.

What kind of finish is it? Gold-plated or cromovelato?
: Thnx. It is gold plated, really shiny shiny. I don't think there is another one made.
I saw this Zieleman offered as a bike a couple of years ago on Marktplaats, complete with a gold plated Campagnolo C record Group. Had thought about buying it but it was a little bit expensive and actually also 'over the top' with all that gold stuff.
Apparently someone from Spain stripped the parts and put the frame on Ebay, still to expensive for me but when I joined a Zieleman facebook group the frame was offered for a reasonable price, just a little bit more then I would be paying for a normal Zieleman frame and it was my size so I was happy.
Wouter has talked to Ko who remembered building this one for a guy in Alkmaar. I should go to the shop and hear the complete story
Old 12-25-18, 06:29 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

That is one cool bike!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
No, not two ....

While we're on the subject: this is one of my latest finds, a 1968 Gazelle 'Race', from the days before they were called Champion Mondial (Harm Ottenbros had yet to become World Champion). Repainted and rebranded as a Bontekoe.
Not two? He! That would be like thinking MiloFrance has only two Peugeots. Okay, I plead guilty to being a bit US-centric.

Please tell us about Bontekoe. I plead guilty to not knowing very much.
Old 12-25-18, 06:50 AM
pullup

Speaking of Gazelles, i don't have any at the moment but have owned two . I Had 1 in the in the 70's looking like the one Jim posted and I sold this 80,s example a while back, (should have kept it really) --AA Super frame
This was real sharp stearing racing machine, aero shifters and prime example of an early monostay rear end. The rear wheel was placed as max to the seat tube as possible and they had an dent in the seat tube to make it even tighter.

Old 12-25-18, 10:18 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

: Thnx. It is gold plated, really shiny shiny. I don't think there is another one made.
I saw this Zieleman offered as a bike a couple of years ago on Marktplaats, complete with a gold plated Campagnolo C record Group. Had thought about buying it but it was a little bit expensive and actually also 'over the top' with all that gold stuff.
Apparently someone from Spain stripped the parts and put the frame on Ebay, still to expensive for me but when I joined a Zieleman facebook group the frame was offered for a reasonable price, just a little bit more then I would be paying for a normal Zieleman frame and it was my size so I was happy.
Wouter has talked to Ko who remembered building this one for a guy in Alkmaar. I should go to the shop and hear the complete story
Thanks for the background story. Alkmaar, eh? Must have been an expat from the Gooi...

Old 12-25-18, 10:51 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...) Not two? He! That would be like thinking MiloFrance has only two Peugeots. Okay, I plead guilty to being a bit US-centric.

Please tell us about Bontekoe. I plead guilty to not knowing very much.
To be fair, most are pretty rough and were acquired as cheap parts bikes, or are way back in the project queue. I only have one really nice Champion Mondial which is fully operational, a "Semi-Race" version:

WRT Bontekoe: it is a famous bike shop in The Hague, started by former track racer Gerrit Bontekoe in ~1922. It still exists and is currently run by Gerrit's grandsons. More information on the shop and their bikes is in this thread.

The main reason for buying the small blue one above, BTW, were these:

Old 12-25-18, 09:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The same bike in two photos taken five years apart, in Germany in '74 and in Austria in '79. And no, it did not take me that long to ride that short distance. That is a 25" Batavus model Tour de l'Europe that I bought in Amsterdam on that first trip and which now lives in a buddy's garage in Connecticut.

Last edited by thumpism; 12-25-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 12:11 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.