Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex Retrofriction cables

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Simplex Retrofriction cables

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 10:39 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It's tough to beat these Jagwire cables at $3.49 which fit simplex/huret. It's what I use.

https://www.modernbike.com/jagwire-b...ess-compatible

See post 17 above.
I do love and use the hell out of Jagwire products, especially their basic pads for linear and caliper brakes, which are very lucrative when bought in bulk. They legitimately make compelling products at a very, very reasonable price point.

The only reason I opt for the Schwinn kit and choose it over Jagwire is because it comes with 4 complete cable housings, i.e. 2 for shift and 2 for brake, loaded with universal brake cables with correct ends to fit road and BMX style levers so it'll work with anything, plus both shift cables that don't rust easily and use a smaller barrel head (vs. the Jagwire disc head, although Schwin kit's shift cable has one barrel end, one disc end, you cut off the one you don't need) that fits Simplex, plus all the ferrules and crimps you'll need to install. All in one kit. Everything you need to completely overhaul all shifting and braking on one bike, previously for $10, now $13.

With the abundance of tools I have on hand, I'm probably saving at least $3-$5 using the Schwinn kit and still getting quality stuff I'd feel confident riding daily. But on my prize bikes and-or more modern bikes, on my shift cables at least, I'm typically using Jagwire or Shimano singles with Jagwire housing. The average novice or even newbie will probably save $10-15 using the Schwinn kit, if not more.

Last edited by francophile; 06-14-23 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For francophile:
Old 04-26-24, 03:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 381 Posts
I don't want to resurrect a zombie, but I think an update is in order.
Here's the best $10 you ever spend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L8NDVD6/
I bought that package in 2021 for cables and brake cables (and low price) and received a set of retrofiction shifters this week. 'Schwinn' may have changed their specs. I know, I know. Inconsistency from Amazon never happens....

The shift cables in the Schwinn package I received were too wide to fit in the shifters.

The Campy version of the Jagwire stainless shift cables (product # 75SS2300, $5.49) fit very well, though they don't have the spherical bottom that the Simplex cables had.
Old 05-04-24, 08:13 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I don't want to resurrect a zombie, but I think an update is in order. I bought that package in 2021 for cables and brake cables (and low price) and received a set of retrofiction shifters this week. 'Schwinn' may have changed their specs. I know, I know. Inconsistency from Amazon never happens....

The shift cables in the Schwinn package I received were too wide to fit in the shifters.

The Campy version of the Jagwire stainless shift cables (product # 75SS2300, $5.49) fit very well, though they don't have the spherical bottom that the Simplex cables had.
SRAM/Shimano/Suntour shift cable heads have always been larger than Campagnolo/Simplex/Mavic/etc heads.
Old 05-04-24, 09:18 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 549 Posts
Pretty much all the adtermarket modern cables I find out there have oversized cable heads that do not fit in Csmpy and Simplex C&V shifter levers. Be careful that you grind off (I do it with my sanding drum bit on my Dremel, set to near its slowest speed.) enough of the head so it does not also get jambed and seized on to the levers head recess. It would be PITA to remove the cable if it does. Shaving too much of the head might also cause tye cable to pull off it too, Best suction is still to just look for Campy or Simpkex spec cables so they will
ll be plug and play without worries.

Last edited by Chombi1; 05-04-24 at 09:21 AM.