Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure - how much for optimum performance?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tire Pressure - how much for optimum performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 09:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by aidzbelty
Thanks for the input guys..

How does the tire drop actually work? Is it recommended to have the side threads touching the ground when loaded? I tried using different pressures in the rear tire from 60-75 psi but when I load up something in the rear rack, the back portion ride feels stiff when passing through bumps. Or probably its because I haven't ridden a bike in 8 years and that I'm not used to its feel yet.

Oh, and how often do you guys check and pump your tires?
I think with most tires, if the whole tread is contacting the ground, the tires are underinflated. With 15% drop, the tires pooch out a little at the bottom, but it's nothing dramatic.

And like the others, I generally pinch-test all my tires before riding... the fatter tires can go longer between refills. The skinnier tires I plan on pumping up each time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-13, 09:46 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing often forgotten about dropping pressure 15% or using a 60/40 formula is this:

When you ride uphill you put most of the weight on the back tire, and downhill on the front

If you ride hills you may not want to drop much pressure!
Old 04-17-13, 02:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
omg, math? I just pump a smidge over max so I have max to start my ride
Old 04-17-13, 05:15 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PartsMan
On my weekend rides with the smooth road of my choosing more is better. (85psi max in my 700x32s)
For my rough road commute I am actually faster with 65-70 in the front and 70-75 in the back.
This is my experience as well. You want to keep the tires in contact with the pavement to maximize speed. Higher pressures on rough surfaces work against you by causing too much bouncing around.
Old 04-17-13, 08:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
omg, math? I just pump a smidge over max so I have max to start my ride
Math? No need to deal with math. Just plug numbers into a calculator. Here's one: https://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-...alculator.html
Old 04-18-13, 12:50 AM
aidzbelty

Bikes: '13 Norco Yorkville

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried doing a pinch check daily - at least it will help me getting a better feel of my tires for the rides to come..

Getting used to the front tire, its just that the rear tires give me the most impact during bumps and road+train paths.. I don't have any suspension on my ride other than the seatpost, and even tried the "unweighting" method but it just feels hard upon impact.. Is that expected for a non-suspension hybrid or am I just too paranoid?
Old 04-18-13, 09:29 AM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aidzbelty
Tried doing a pinch check daily - at least it will help me getting a better feel of my tires for the rides to come..

Getting used to the front tire, its just that the rear tires give me the most impact during bumps and road+train paths.. I don't have any suspension on my ride other than the seatpost, and even tried the "unweighting" method but it just feels hard upon impact.. Is that expected for a non-suspension hybrid or am I just too paranoid?
No one here can probably say unless they rode your route to see what the conditions are like. I suspect you may just not be used to it yet and it probably isn't a problem for the bike. 35mm tires are pretty typical for hybrid bikes and you shouldn't really need suspension anything unless your route is exceedingly rough.

You can always try going with wider tires, up to whatever will fit the frame/fork. I have 60mm Big Apples on one of my commuters. That's some smooooth ridin'.
Old 04-18-13, 07:48 PM
sk0tt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I put 5 psi over the rated pressure in all my tires because I figure that is what you will loose unhooking the pump with a Presta valve (not a problem with Schraders.). If I wanted a smoother ride, I would drive my car.
Isn't this backwards? Don't Schrader valves loose air when you remove the pump and not Presta?
Old 04-19-13, 09:17 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bicycle Quarterly just ran an article stating that running slightly less air than the maximum was more efficient for rolling. This is contrary to popular opinion, but worth checking out since a little less air usually means a more pleasant ride.
Old 04-20-13, 02:28 AM
shiver

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de l'Avenir, 1975 Gitane Racing Team, 1977 LeJeune, 1988 Herrera, 1990's Ronson.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this app