Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cheapest bike shipping options

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 07:42 AM
EmperorSnu

Bikes: Look KG361, Cannondale T700, Trek Stache 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apologies if this has been posted a million times. I looked at the Air Transports Bikes thread and got useful information on my options on preparing my bike for shipping, but felt as if I didn't get enough information on my shipping options.

I've been planning a much needed escape from reality and the real world via bike touring. This isn't my first time touring, but it will be my first time starting a tour from anywhere other than my apartment, and it will be my longest tour to date. My plan is to fly into Colorado, and ride around there for a while, but I'm unsure of the cheapest option for shipping my bike.

Cheap is definitely the priority; I'm a soon to be college graduate (August graduation, thank God) who has had to pay for my living expenses and education, so my money is very limited. I have been living extremely minimally for the past month to save money for the trip and plan on selling a bike, guitar, and a few other belongings to help fund my trip. I'm wondering if any of y'all have suggestions on the absolute cheapest options to ship my bike. For what it's worth, I do have a relative that I can ship my bike to and they can hold onto it until I can get there. Personal experiences would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

EmperorSnu
Old 06-16-16, 07:47 AM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shipped a bike from Lexington, KY to Cocoa Beach, FL this week using Bikeflights. It cost $46.00. Fed Ex picked it up and delivered in 2 days. A bike shop packed the bike for $50, the receiving shop will assemble for $35. It was a lightweight bike with no additional gear included. You could obviously save some $$ by packing and assembling yourself but I highly recommend Bikeflights.

Last edited by mtn.cyclist; 06-16-16 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 08:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Accompanied luggage Has been less than air freight, un accompanied, in my experience. ..
Old 06-16-16, 08:27 AM
EmperorSnu

Bikes: Look KG361, Cannondale T700, Trek Stache 7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
I shipped a bike from Lexington, KY to Cocoa Beach, FL this week using Bikeflights. It cost $46.00. Fed Ex picked it up and delivered in 2 days. A bike shop packed the bike for $50, the receiving shop will assemble for $35. It was a lightweight bike with no additional gear included. You could obviously save some $$ by packing and assembling yourself but I highly recommend Bikeflights.
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, I have a friend that's a mechanic at my local bike shop and he's coming with me, and I'm pretty handy with a wrench, so I won't have to worry about packing and assembly costs if I fly. Bikeflights put me at around the same price for where I'm leaving from, so it'd be around $100 for a there and back flight + about $250 for a round trip flight. I'm almost thinking that it would be worth it to just drive to Colorado because I'd save about $140, but would eat up 2 days with travel and put a lot of wear on my car.
Old 06-16-16, 08:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Accompanied luggage Has been less than air freight, un accompanied, in my experience. ..
I just played the accompanied luggage game. I had flights that it was free, which made it worthwhile, but all of the legacy American carriers charge $150 per way. Given the choice of dealing with it myself and still paying $150 to take it on the plane, or having a shop pack it and ship it and having it ready and assembled for pick up on the other end for $131, the choice would be easy for me.

That said, if you are flying Southwest, it is $75 each way, and JetBlue is $50-70, assuming you have no other checked luggage.
Old 06-18-16, 09:47 AM
dkmatdrum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might investigate Amtrak. They have bike boxes that let you pack the bike upright with minimal disassembly. I have shipped bikes from Seattle to Orlando and also from Seattle to Oakland.
Old 06-19-16, 05:16 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
+1 for bikeflights.

I've shipped frames and wheels I've sold using bikeflights with great success. A few weeks ago a friend of mine shipped her bike using bike flights and it was cheap and fast for her.

The owner of bikeflights was at a local bike event last month and I spent a bunch of time talking about bikes and everything else with him. He was a great guy.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR