Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle graveyards

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle graveyards

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 12:26 AM
ntvu02

Bikes: Giant Contend AR4, Marinoni Special '96, Nishiki International '83, Panasonic DX4000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Bicycle graveyards

Read through the article. Sad.

https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doc...ards-1.6325287
Old 02-01-22, 02:13 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Crazy. The Chinese bike version of the GFC bailouts.
Old 02-01-22, 10:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
They weren't really hidden. At one point they were out in the open. I remember years ago seeing the piles of those awful OFO bikes on public paths just 1000s stacked up in a long row. When people create junk it doesn't go away it gets piled up. It would be cool to see something done with that junk but I don't want to see it dumped back on the street.
Old 02-01-22, 11:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The irony is that some day, after all of those bikes are destroyed, the surviving examples will become collectibles.

We have crushed millions of automobiles, many of them not very good in the first place, and today people pay enormous amounts to re-acquire surviving relics from the past.

John
Old 02-01-22, 01:48 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
tl,dr Why isn't there a used market for all of those bike share bikes or the parts? What am I missing? Are all the parts proprietary to that design and can't be used on "standard" bikes in order to keep the theft of those bikes down? Maybe it has 720c tires, tubes, and wheels, and 33mm seatposts, etc...?
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-01-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
tl,dr Why isn't there a used market for all of those bike share bikes or the parts? What am I missing? Are all the parts proprietary to that design and can't be used on "standard" bikes in order to keep the theft of those bikes down? Maybe it has 720c tires, tubes, and wheels, and 33mm seatposts, etc...?

The frames really are single purpose with weird security stuff built in and, obviously, nobody likes riding them much or this wouldn't have happened. Even in China, those parts are going to have to be worth a fair amount to justify the labor costs of breaking the bikes down.
Old 02-01-22, 02:42 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
By the title I was figuring you were talking about those police station impounds...
Old 02-01-22, 02:50 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I remember the same thing here in the US. We had tons of bike share bikes here in DFW. Ofo, Lime Bike and a few others. These were left everywhere. People even threw them in rivers, lakes... It got so bad that they all got banned and pulled out. I was hoping to find a few cheap ones but that was not possible either. I think they all got scrapped.
Its a pity since these bikes could have also been given to people who could have used them. Yes they were not the very best quality but probably better than any cheap big box store bike.
But now I am seeing the same with these electric scooters. Discarded and left everywhere with toxic batteries embedded.

Last edited by Harhir; 02-01-22 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 11:15 AM
rodymanners

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
tragic that's really sad !

Last edited by rodymanners; 02-02-22 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 04:05 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I went down a Youtube rabbit hole once and watched a series of videos from a Chinese scrapper. They were grinding the bikes into potato chip size chunks. They would just toss the bike in complete (tires, seat, lights etc.-everything) and this impressive grinder would do it's thing. I suppose the "chips" become landfill as there was no consideration taken to isolate the different materials used to construct a bike.
Old 02-02-22, 05:39 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Hey…I think I see my old Schwinn.

Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 02-03-22, 09:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Its interesting that articles continue to be written about this. The issue has been well documented over the last handful of years.
But i suppose it is an issue that hasnt gone away, so its of value to 'report' on it every now and again for those that didnt know.

Its a really sad thing to see- such environmental waste.
Old 02-03-22, 10:12 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Beijing used to be known as the "City of Bicycles". Now, it's the City of Smog. Between Beijing and Shanghai, about 50,000 die annually due to air pollution. Industry, a growing middle class and the insatiable Chinese taste for consumption all contribute. The bicycles of Beijing are gone, replaced by cars.

Locally, immigrants arrive in Canada, can't speak english enough to read the road signs yet the first thing they do is get a drivers license. Then, the next stop is the Porsche, BMW or Benz dealerships. One has to get to the Gucci and Chanel stores in style, of course. There is NO WAY these people are going to be riding a bicycle at -25c here, or even at 25 above, as a means of transportation or to assist the environment. Bicycles are for peasants.

Harsh, I know. But true.
Old 02-03-22, 11:21 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
So the Photographer appears to say that these discarded bicycles are due to contract suppliers competing against each other to provide rent bicycles and these junked bikes are of the suppliers that failed?

Is he saying that uncontrolled Capitalism in a Communist country caused these junk yards?

I think there is more to this story and its not just about bicycles.

Old 02-03-22, 06:55 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
So the Photographer appears to say that these discarded bicycles are due to contract suppliers competing against each other to provide rent bicycles and these junked bikes are of the suppliers that failed?

Is he saying that uncontrolled Capitalism in a Communist country caused these junk yards?

I think there is more to this story and its not just about bicycles.

I’m going to try to stay out of the politics of it, but the long and short of the Chinese bike bubble was that investors were pumping so much cash into these startup bikeshare companies, that there were too many players for all but the few largest to survive. They kept cutting the pie into more and more pieces , and all but the biggest players couldn’t get enough market share to sustain, so a company would fold ( sometimes after only a few weeks) and abandon it’s fleet, then another company would roll out it’s service, and the cycle would repeat.
Old 02-03-22, 08:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
One of the issues China had was Dockless vs Dock type bike shares.

The dockless bike shares ended up being essentially dumped whenever a person was done with the bike. And, ended up becoming a giant social problem.

Also keep in mind that China has a population of 1.4 billion.

So, while a small city here may have a few dozen bikeshare bikes, they would have had them by the thousands in some Chinese cities.

I could imagine difficulties with erratic growth of multiple companies in the same urban area.

There should be rebuilding of bikes, recycling, etc. But, that depends on building the service infrastructure with the company. Is it cheaper to buy new?
Old 02-04-22, 09:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
What a waste of resources and now pollution, visual and physical. So many people in 3rd world countries could use those bikes for basic transportation. What a travesty.

Old 02-05-22, 07:02 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Most parts on them are prepietary, and can't be used on regular bikes, or just easilly swapped.
Old 02-05-22, 07:45 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One of the issues China had was Dockless vs Dock type bike shares.

The dockless bike shares ended up being essentially dumped whenever a person was done with the bike. And, ended up becoming a giant social problem.

Also keep in mind that China has a population of 1.4 billion.

So, while a small city here may have a few dozen bikeshare bikes, they would have had them by the thousands in some Chinese cities.

I could imagine difficulties with erratic growth of multiple companies in the same urban area.

There should be rebuilding of bikes, recycling, etc. But, that depends on building the service infrastructure with the company. Is it cheaper to buy new?

The same thing happen here. Whoever, would take the bike and dump it wherever they landed. The bike company had to run down all the missing bikes, everyday. Needless to say, there no bike to rent here any more.
Watch some of the bike path video from a guy called "Biker 21ST" on you tube in Calf. Same thing with dead electric bikes dropped along the paths.

Last edited by Gyro; 02-05-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-05-22, 10:34 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2019-09-2...s4E/index.html
Old 02-05-22, 11:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Disgusting waste
Old 02-05-22, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

That's a Chinese government "news" source, and the OP video shows just how much that 2019 story was an official whitewash of how big the problem is.