Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Build Help/Ideas

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Build Help/Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 08:24 PM
PoorBob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Build Help/Ideas

Good evening to all,

Getting ready to start my next build, and I am heading in a different direction then I would go in the past.

Looking to build a bike for utility and to eventually pull a child trailer.

Wish list.
1. Still want to run drop bars
2. 1x group set, likely a MTB set up for that giant pizza dish cassette
3. Aluminum frame
4. 42mm minimal tires

Looking for frame ideas to start. As mentioned I am going in a different direction with this build. Its been gram crunching carbon all road up till now. .

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-08-22, 09:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Just me, but if I was pulling a trailer, the wide gaps between gears would suck.
I'd do a 3x9 with a closer spaced cassette and a bit of thought on chain ring sizes to give me 3 useful ranges with closer ratios. You ARE basically driving like a truck when towing.
You can't safely pull a trailer if you are going too fast to stop and maintain control, so those 11T cogs probably won't get used.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-09-22, 02:40 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
PoorBob the Surly Straggler would be a good bike to pattern your build off of. Drop bar, 1x, big tires (comes in 700 or 650B). Pitched as a do-it-all all-surfaces kinda bike. Steel frame, but lots of options for how you can fit it out.

​​​​​Don't cheap out on the trailer, either. A good trailer is so much more comfortable and easier to use. Chariot (THULE) are probably the class of the field.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Just me, but if I was pulling a trailer, the wide gaps between gears would suck.
Nope, having to make front shifts under load sucks. Due to air drag at speed, and weight drag on hills, trailers will kill your momentum fast. Even making big jumps on a wide range cassette, you're out of the power for a lot less time than it takes to soft-pedal a front shift.

I also don't know where the " they're so heavy you will barely be able to control it!" comes from? You're carrying little kids, not construction equipment. If your bikes brakes are sufficient enough to skid a tire on dry pavement under the riders' weight, they'll have enough power to stop your trailer rig, too.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-09-22, 03:11 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
...I also don't know where the " they're so heavy you will barely be able to control it!" comes from? You're carrying little kids, not construction equipment. If your bikes brakes are sufficient enough to skid a tire on dry pavement under the riders' weight, they'll have enough power to stop your trailer rig, too.
Probably your lack of reading ability.
Old 04-09-22, 03:41 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
>incoming thread derail

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Probably your lack of reading ability.
Wow, okay......
I should have been more clear, that I wasn't just replying directly to your post, but to a number of comments whenever trailers come up, that you have to have upgraded brakes, or it will knock your back wheel out from under you, or you shouldn't ride more than 10 mph, or that it's like driving a truck.
Sure, it's not exactly the same as riding around solo, but I've pulled a lot of things behind a lot of vehicles, both two and 4 wheeled, and I don't see what the big deal is, and why there's so much hand-wringing about it. Just because I don't have as much white in my beard as you do doesn't mean my experience isn't valid.
Old 04-09-22, 09:57 AM
PoorBob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Folks...

I appreciate both of your suggestions on the gears and range. I suspect like much in cycling it really comes down to many factors that are all rider specific.
I will take both angles into consideration.
Old 04-25-22, 05:45 PM
PoorBob

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Frame Option

One thing I overlooked is an old Nashbar 29r single speed that I have collecting dust.

It has external cable mounts for derailers already, current free hub will except a 10spd.

Biggest issue is it has no on frame derailleur hanger mount and has horizontal dropouts.
I have come across a few aftermarket conversions. One that slides in the dropout and the skewer will hold it all in place.

Wondering if I these hold up, hold everything in line, or am I better off looking for a different frameset?
Old 04-25-22, 06:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
this seems to get good reviews.....but I have no hands on with it https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...hoCPRgQAvD_BwE

wouldn't take much to try, unless you want N=1....then of course you need a new frame

Old 04-26-22, 05:03 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
this seems to get good reviews.....but I have no hands on with it https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...hoCPRgQAvD_BwE

wouldn't take much to try, unless you want N=1....then of course you need a new frame
I have a bike I built with this hanger adapter I’ve ridden for several years without issue, including MTB trails. Make sure to use a decent quality internal cam QR skewer if you go this route.

Last edited by bboy314; 04-26-22 at 12:30 PM.