Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Eros frame material question, and identification

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 10:44 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts

Does anyone out there happen to know which years -- if any -- of the Bianchi Eros were constructed from Reynolds 631 tubes?

Backstory: I just acquired a bare Eros frame, with no provenance. It is in very poor cosmetic condition, but some of the stickers are still legible. I cannot guarantee that they are original, however. One of them clearly indicates that the tubing is Reynolds 631 -- but nothing I can find online confirms that any Eros were made of such. It is TIG-welded, so that means it is a 1999 or later ( <=1998 were lugged ). If the grey/silver paint is original, the color indicates that it is a 2000 or 2004 but I also cannot find any images of those colorways for confirmation.

All that said, if the paint is not original, someone went to a great deal of trouble to acquire the infamous "100% Chick-Designed" sticker and place it in the correct location over the new paint job.

Apart from general curiosity, once I remove the paint, I might have to weld on it, so it could be useful to know from what it is made.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-24, 05:11 PM
TC1

Replying to myself, in case any future searchers wind up reading this thread.

I found a 20 year-old discussion about Eros in the archives of another cycling forum, that referred to detailed information present on the defunct bianchiusa.com site, and that led to me to check the magic of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. Lo and behold, that archive shows that the 2004 Bianchi Eros was indeed made from Reynolds 631.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040406....com/eros.html

From what I can tell, 2004 through 2007 Eros are Reynolds 631 (inclusive). 2003 was "SL Chromo Lite heat-treated double-butted CrMo steel".

So if you need to know details about an early 21st Century US-market Bianchi, I highly recommend starting here ->

https://web.archive.org/web/20240000...bianchiusa.com

The Wayback Machine has dozens of snapshots from 2000 through 2022.
Likes For TC1:
Old 04-15-24, 08:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8322 Post(s)
Liked 9,132 Times in 4,513 Posts
Old 04-17-24, 01:24 PM
TC1

I am now certain that the paint on this Eros is original, as-was the bottom bracket -- which I removed today for the first time since Bianchi installed it twenty years ago, and found an absolute pile of metal shavings left behind by its makers. ( And no, before anyone wonders, no aftermarket machining has been done to this frame, and these are not the shell's threads, which remain fine. )

Apparently Sky Yaeger ( the aforementioned designing chick ) needs to spend a lot more time designing her production processes, and less time thinking about stickers.
Old 04-25-24, 05:33 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
My Bianchi Vigorelli is a 2004, and has both the Chick Designed sticker as well as the Reynolds 631 sticker. Not the stiffest frame by any means, but very comfortable and fun. I think the same frame was used for the Eros (entry level), Imola (105), and Vigorelli (Ultegra), and a similar but Italian made frame was used for the Veloce (umm… Campy Veloce).