Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 01:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,991 Times in 6,139 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...capable of what, exactly? Are you taking more air these days than pro riders did in the late 90's ? If so, at your age, my hat is off to you, sir.
"Are you doing better on your modern bike than professionals did 30 years ago?" is a weird thing to ask. Wouldn't the correct comparison be to HIMSELF years ago? Or whether he does better on a well-maintained old bike than on a new one?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:26 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
None of those bikes are anything like as capable as their modern day equivalents.
Thirty years ago, the 30-year-younger you was saying the exact same thing about bikes from the 1960s.

EDIT: Oops. That's right. The 30-year-younger you was actually saying, "Man, someone should invent wireless index shifting and get carbon fiber bikes below 15 pounds."
Old 04-05-24, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by smd4
Thirty years ago, the 30-year-younger you was saying the exact same thing about bikes from the 1960s.
And if he's still alive in 30 years, and still rides, he'll say that then and it'll also be true. This is an argument against a point nobody's making.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:29 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 456 Posts
I think half an hour's sleep, more or less, the night before would make more difference in the next day's performance for most any grand tour rider since the 1950s, than the decade their bikes were built in. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Old 04-05-24, 01:30 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by genejockey
And if he's still alive in 30 years, and still rides, he'll say that then and it'll also be true. This is an argument against a point nobody's making.
Whoosh! There goes that point again!

The point is, "modern" bikes have "always" been cutting edge. Except now you pay a lot more for that edge in dollars adjusted for inflation.
Old 04-05-24, 01:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked 4,953 Times in 3,062 Posts

I understand that PeteHski doesn't care about this, he just goes on to the next replacement bike.
I’m actually quite pragmatic about bikes and only replace them when there is something I find significantly better. I rode the same high-end mountain bike from 2004 until 2015 and the new bike was a hell of a lot better. Since then I bought one more new mtb in 2019 and that was only slightly better. Not such a leap, but still better. I had the same road bike from the mid 80s through to the late 90s and the new one was only slightly better. Then I bought a new road bike again in 2019 and found it was a lot better with the wider tyres, properly designed carbon frame, carbon wheels and disc brakes. I was so impressed that I bought another modern road bike in 2022 in a higher spec with electronic gears. That’s all for me. I don’t have an endless collection of old or new bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-05-24, 01:37 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26456 Post(s)
Liked 10,416 Times in 7,231 Posts
"Are you doing better on your modern bike than professionals did 30 years ago?" is a weird thing to ask. Wouldn't the correct comparison be to HIMSELF years ago? Or whether he does better on a well-maintained old bike than on a new one?
...why is it weird to ask about the performance level of an older individual, as it relates to the "capabilities" of the current crop of bicycles ? The point, if there is one, is about how much of this "capability" is of use to the majority of riders. In this case, age does play a factor. Arguably, a more "capable" MTB can get you into trouble if you don't heal as well and as quickly as you did 30 years ago.

So no, I don't find it weird at all. Which is why I asked it.

I constantly get the impression in these threads, that the people who disagree most vehemently with me, are looking at age creeping up on them, and running just as fast as they can to buy some sort of "performance" advantage that exists only for the most highly skilled and conditioned athletes in the sport. Not being one of those, I guess it's hard for me to figure out why one of them would be posting in General Cycling.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-24, 01:38 PM
3alarmer

I’m actually quite pragmatic about bikes and only replace them when there is something I find significantly better. I rode the same high-end mountain bike from 2004 until 2015 and the new bike was a hell of a lot better. Since then I bought one more new mtb in 2019 and that was only slightly better. Not such a leap, but still better. I had the same road bike from the mid 80s through to the late 90s and the new one was only slightly better. Then I bought a new road bike again in 2019 and found it was a lot better with the wider tyres, properly designed carbon frame, carbon wheels and disc brakes. I was so impressed that I bought another modern road bike in 2022 in a higher spec with electronic gears. That’s all for me. I don’t have an endless collection of old or new bikes.
...I seem to recall something about how you don't keep cars more than a few years. Did I imagine that ?
Old 04-05-24, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...why is it weird to ask about the performance level of an older individual, as it relates to the "capabilities" of the current crop of bicycles ? The point, if there is one, is about how much of this "capability" is of use to the majority of riders. In this case, age does play a factor. Arguably, a more "capable" MTB can get you into trouble if you don't heal as well and as quickly as you did 30 years ago.

So no, I don't find it weird at all. Which is why I asked it.

I constantly get the impression in these threads, that the people who disagree most vehemently with me, are looking at age creeping up on them, and running just as fast as they can to buy some sort of "performance" advantage that exists only for the most highly skilled and conditioned athletes in the sport. Not being one of those, I guess it's hard for me to figure out why one of them would be posting in General Cycling.
Because you're comparing an amateur to professionals. Duh.

Old 04-05-24, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Whoosh! There goes that point again!

The point is, "modern" bikes have "always" been cutting edge. Except now you pay a lot more for that edge in dollars adjusted for inflation.
That's your point? Again, arguing against something nobody's saying.

Old 04-05-24, 01:42 PM
PeteHski

...capable of what, exactly? Are you taking more air these days than pro riders did in the late 90's ? If so, at your age, my hat is off to you, sir.
No, but I can ride trails on modern MTBs that I certainly couldn’t ride on a 1990 MTB. I crash a lot less now too. Modern MTBs are like having a cheat code. Some would argue that they don’t want a cheat code, but that’s another thing.
Old 04-05-24, 01:44 PM
3alarmer

I'm pretty sure we already went through that thoroughly pages ago. The thing is, bike companies are in the business of selling NEW bikes, not second hand bikes.
...we were, IIRC, discussing advances in technology. Not advances in marketing...which I agree has made significant strides in the past 20 years. I would argue that advances in marketing have outstripped advances in technology, but then someone would accuse me of being a "big Bicycle" conspiracy theorist. Which I am most definitely not.

I just find the whole topic, as it gets discussed these days in General Cycling, to be quite strange. Like I outlived my time period, and the people around me when I woke up are all enthusiastically drinking Brawndo, because it's got electrolytes.
Old 04-05-24, 01:47 PM
PeteHski

...I seem to recall something about how you don't keep cars more than a few years. Did I imagine that ?
That’s true. But that has nothing to do with bicycles
Old 04-05-24, 01:48 PM
3alarmer

Because you're comparing an amateur to professionals. Duh.
...yes. I'm saying that the "advantages" are limited by your personal ability to take advantage of them. This is not a hard concept...but you seem to be having trouble with it.
Old 04-05-24, 01:49 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by petehski
that’s true. But that has nothing to do with bicycles
...ok
Old 04-05-24, 01:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...we were, IIRC, discussing advances in technology. Not advances in marketing...which I agree has made significant strides in the past 20 years. I would argue that advances in marketing have outstripped advances in technology, but then someone would accuse me of being a "big Bicycle" conspiracy theorist. Which I am most definitely not.
I'd note that there seems to be a much larger market for high-end luxury goods these days than there used to be. Watches, cars, bikes, what have you. There seem to be more people looking to buy ever more expensive halo products.

I just find the whole topic, as it gets discussed these days in General Cycling, to be quite strange. Like I outlived my time period, and the people around me when I woke up are all enthusiastically drinking Brawndo, because it's got electrolytes.
What are we supposed to drink? Water? Like out of the toilet?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-05-24, 01:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

...yes. I'm saying that the "advantages" are limited by your personal ability to take advantage of them. This is not a hard concept...but you seem to be having trouble with it.
Which means the appropriate comparison for an amateur cyclist is not professionals of the past.

Old 04-05-24, 01:54 PM
3alarmer

No, but I can ride trails on modern MTBs that I certainly couldn’t ride on a 1990 MTB. I crash a lot less now too. Modern MTBs are like having a cheat code. Some would argue that they don’t want a cheat code, but that’s another thing.
...as I got older, I used to fall less when downhill skiing. This had little or nothing to do with tech improvements in ski's (of which there were many). It had everything to do with me becoming more cautious in what I attempted to do on the mountain. I'm sure increased travel and better suspension components makes a difference, but I'm unconvinced that your crash history is a direct result of technological improvements. Forgive me.
Old 04-05-24, 01:54 PM
smd4

That's your point? Again, arguing against something nobody's saying.
Excuse me? The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
Old 04-05-24, 01:58 PM
3alarmer

Which means the appropriate comparison for an amateur cyclist is not professionals of the past.

...the professionals of the past were, presumably, taking the most advantage of the product available. Pete is, presumably, taking the most advantage he can of the current product. I'm asking if he can take so much advantage, that he exceeds the guys back then, who were better than both of us. That's a legit question, and you are either trolling today, or desperately in need of another cup of coffee. I'm out.
Old 04-05-24, 02:01 PM
3alarmer

What are we supposed to drink? Water? Like out of the toilet?
...beverage technology over the past 20 years has made incredible progress. I'd look for something with the best marketing.
Old 04-05-24, 02:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,520 Posts
The only thing that really makes me laugh is that as trends come and go, people in the forums end up talking out of both sides of their mouths. The same people are flipping and flopping as the winds blows. First it lightweight is the be all end all. Then some stuff gets added like disc brakes get added. Then weight wasn't really important after all. Then there stiffness in the frame and wheels. But then we have to start running our tires at low pressures for cushy rides. It goes on and on as each new or new again thing comes out. Now we have a thread about the revolutionary tech called hookless rims. It's already been around once and wasn't good then. We got people talking about how it's the bees knees. Just wait though, if the UCI bans them those same people will be talking about how unsafe they are and how they should be wiped from existence. Comedy like that is why I tune into BF.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-05-24, 02:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Excuse me? The entire subject of this thread is "Why are Modern Bikes So Expensive?" All people can come up with is "Modern bikes are more advanced." And again, my point is that in relative terms...they're not.
That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.

Old 04-05-24, 02:07 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3025 Post(s)
Liked 1,196 Times in 779 Posts
You know what's more expensive than a modern bike?

Hospital stays and drugs that are required from living a sedentary lifestyle.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-05-24, 02:16 PM
smd4

That assumes the pace of innovation is constant, which I would argue it not the case.
Then you would agree that the same assumption about the non-constant pace of innovation was also true 30 years ago?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.