Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are These Counterfeit Shimano Rim Brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 12:20 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Bought these used off online swap meet. I have the same brakes on another bike, so I'm pretty familiar with them. Right away, in my hands something seemed off about the gap between the two halves of the assembly. Once I got them on the bike it became more strange. Without a cable installed, there is no gap between the calipers to get the wheel on...I had to force the wheel on.

It's not easy to tell by the photos how close they are, but on one side the pad is effectively touching the wheel, and on the other side, it's closer to touching than a person would typically ride...certainly far closer than it should be without a cable installed. Making matters worse, the pad carrier on the nearest side is resting against the paint on the fork, which direct mount brakes should never do, not even when opened. So even if you could adjust it away from the wheel, it would just be driving harder into the fork.

The brakes look very genuine, and I've compared them closely to my fully genuine set, so I'm wondering if they aren't a lemon. I just see no way to adjust the multi-faceted issues out of this caliper.

**Note: the last photo is the genuine set on my other bike. Note the gap between the two halves of the calipers, properly adjusted and still not touching the wheel, while the in-question set is right up against the wheel and has no gap.

Old 04-02-22, 12:42 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Hard to tell from photos, but the new pads look beefier than the one in the last pic.
Old 04-02-22, 01:00 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Hard to tell from photos, but the new pads look beefier than the one in the last pic.
They are, but by a couple millimeters. These brakes should (and genuine ones do) open up enough that even with brand new pads, the wheel will easily slide in with lots of room to adjust inward. These brakes in question sit on or right up against the wheel without ANY cable tension or even a cable installed.
Old 04-02-22, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You might have the adjustment screwed most of the way in. Usually dual pivot brakes have an adjustment to help with centering them. Little tiny screw on one caliper near the pivot.

No, I'm not talking about the barrel adjuster.

Shimano is the only entity you should trust to determine if they are counterfeit.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-02-22 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-02-22, 03:15 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Are the washers between the brake arm and pad the same thickness? On the forks, are the mounting holes the same distance apart?
Edit: The above is what popped into my head just from a general mechanical standpoint. But I researched and it appears some models are made for wider tires and some have the arms spaced further apart. Could possibly explain it. Maybe they aren't the identical same model number.

Last edited by freeranger; 04-02-22 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-03-22, 03:53 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Bought these used off online swap meet.
Curious, why did you buy used from some shady stranger that resulted in this thread to be made, vs new from LBS or similar reputable that would have solved all doubt?
Likes For soyabean:
Old 04-03-22, 06:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
What's your rim width?
​​​​​​https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...R-R8010-F.html