Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Quick-release mount points for a rack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 06:15 PM
seibaatgung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

Are there removable quick-release attachment points for a rack? I have a gravel bike set up as a commuter but found the rack and basket interferes with the balance of weight. Are there small metal screw-ins that attach to a rack and a bike that snap together? Preferably they would release with a key but I'm looking for anything that works.
Old 07-16-21, 01:01 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
The closest thing I can think of to that is the Tailfin rack. Note: expensive.
Old 07-16-21, 04:18 PM
seibaatgung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
The closest thing I can think of to that is the Tailfin rack. Note: expensive.
Now that I've seen that, I want one.
Old 07-17-21, 11:24 AM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's unclear to me what you're asking about exactly. There are a few brands that have quick-release type systems for their racks (Topeak and Ibera come to mind, as well as the one previously linked) but I'm not sure how this might relate to problems of balance.

In any event here's a couple bullet points about such systems that I've picked up, and hopefully it answers some questions for you.

I have a bike that came with Ibera rear rack equipped with the PakRak system, which is what they call their "quick-release" system. The rack itself is more or less the standard/typical rear rack shape and will allow for non-PakRak bags to be attached, which is why I didn't just swap it out right away.As far as I know if I want something that uses that feature, I'm limited to Ibera products. In other words, there aren't any third-party companies making accessories for the PakRak system. But regardless of whether I attach something like a pannier using PakRak or using "universal" hooks with some sort of bungee system, the balance issues are more or less going to be the same. The only way it might be different is if you're not able to get the bag to attach well and it is loose. If that's the problem, you may be able to address it without having to completely change your rack if you already have one with a bag that is otherwise serviceable.

With regards to that Tailfin line of products, that definitely looks cool and it is a novel design. As a novel design, it seems like you *might* be limiting yourself to only their products. I'm not necessarily against such a system, but given the price I definitely would take that part into consideration before buying in. Another point I'd want to investigate is the placement of the bags. The top rack is a little bit higher than it would be on more traditional rear racks, though it appears that you can probably put any kind of rear rack top bag on it which is nice. The pannier attachment point looks like it might require proprietary hardware that's built into the panniers they sell and it looks like they would sit higher and further back than what is typical of other rear racks.Are the placement of these bags better for the riding experience? I have no idea, but I would want to check outside sources to see what is generally said about such things. In any event, from the advertising materials on their website, I get the feeling this whole system is kind of aimed at adventure gravel bike packing, which may be at odds with your needs as a commuter.