Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bosch fixed my bike after the warranty ran out.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 09:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts

I bought my bulls crossover in nov 2019 put 14,000 miles on it in that time. it rains a lot here in portland and I ride every day. Plus my garage is not heated so the bike could stay wet for days if it rained every day or stayed wet for days. the left side bottom bracket seal failed and the bearing rusted out. I did not notice till we had two warm dry days and all dried out, rode to the movies get off the bike and see it. man ruined the movie thinking about it. took it to my local trek store as the Yahveh some good mechanics and its less then a mike from our house. since it was out of warranty the mechanic was going to look onto what could be done. but I decided I needed another bike as this is my car and I don't have a spare bike. it took only two weeks and bosch replaced the motor about 900.00

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-22-22, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Not sure if I understand. Bosch fixed your bike and you paid for the repair?
Old 03-23-22, 07:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Not sure if I understand. Bosch fixed your bike and you paid for the repair?
no they fixed it for free out of warranty. the new motor is about 900.00 if I had to buy it.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-23-22, 10:08 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
They really stepped up for you. Glad to hear. You're a trooper riding in that weather. I feel so fortunate in socal where rain isn't a consideration often, drought is another matter. Plus it's mid 80's this week.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-23-22, 10:40 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by 2old
They really stepped up for you. Glad to hear. You're a trooper riding in that weather. I feel so fortunate in socal where rain isn't a consideration often, drought is another matter. Plus it's mid 80's this week.
If I did not ride in the rain I would miss a lot of my commute rides. Bulls used loose bearings in the headset and by spring the first winter I rode it I had rusty grease leaching out o the headset. so they got replaced by cartridge bearings at the start of the pandemic.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-23-22, 10:47 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
If I did not ride in the rain I would miss a lot of my commute rides. Bulls used loose bearings in the headset and by spring the first winter I rode it I had rusty grease leaching out o the headset. so they got replaced by cartridge bearings at the start of the pandemic.
I understand your "plight", and have resided in areas with inclement weather, although not as bad as OR (Seattle, Alaska, NH); it didn't deter me then, and probably I'd learn to adapt to your area too.
Old 03-23-22, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
That is the reason to buy Bosch, they support their products really well but yeah you gotta still take care of them and wet bikes being left wet in a cold garage is not good for them. if you rely upon it for daily use you gotta take really good care of it and bring it in for service quite often if it going to be left nearly outside.
Old 03-23-22, 07:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is the reason to buy Bosch, they support their products really well but yeah you gotta still take care of them and wet bikes being left wet in a cold garage is not good for them. if you rely upon it for daily use you gotta take really good care of it and bring it in for service quite often if it going to be left nearly outside.
I had no idea that you could replace the seals. my mechanic would never have thought to do it either. but it is a bit odd situation. but I lube everything on a regular basis the chain may get it every rain ride or two. but Now I will have the sealed replaced. but I have never heard of anyone doing it so I had no clue. Now figure this out this comes in a 5 set? why not 6??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2YKIHA0H&psc=1
Old 03-23-22, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

That is one thing you can do. If you ever notice extra noise that is a good sign it was time to do that. I am actually about to do that to mine.

Not sure why it is 5 and not six but there is probably some reason. I might ask my Bosch rep when I talk to them why. I usually have seen them in groups of 4 but maybe I miscounted when I last looked.
Old 03-23-22, 08:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is one thing you can do. If you ever notice extra noise that is a good sign it was time to do that. I am actually about to do that to mine.

Not sure why it is 5 and not six but there is probably some reason. I might ask my Bosch rep when I talk to them why. I usually have seen them in groups of 4 but maybe I miscounted when I last looked.
its hard to notice on the bosch as the drive makes noise and the small chainring causes noise and the new chain always creates rumble. but thinking back maybe a few weeks or less it seemed there was more resistance when I spun the cranks backwards or forwards by hand. but I thought was mistaken. our tandem is in the same boat but not as many miles so I will take it in and get them changed soon. it has not been ridden in awhile as my wife is out of it with a replaced shoulder.
Old 03-24-22, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
its hard to notice on the bosch as the drive makes noise and the small chainring causes noise and the new chain always creates rumble. but thinking back maybe a few weeks or less it seemed there was more resistance when I spun the cranks backwards or forwards by hand. but I thought was mistaken. our tandem is in the same boat but not as many miles so I will take it in and get them changed soon. it has not been ridden in awhile as my wife is out of it with a replaced shoulder.
My level 2 guy is actually coming to visit in the near future and said he would look at it so I might question him on things.

Bosch makes a little noise but I will take a little noise if I have a pretty bombproof system with excellent support. If I am commuting or riding on less cyclist populated roads I tend to have some music on my speaker so I really don't need to notice the normal noise as much.