Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone rock a snowboard helmet?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 10:39 PM
Brad M
nub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All this winter is making my ears cold. I noticed that snowboard helmets have some ear coverage. No, I can't fit anything between my head and my current lid.

I may also use it for, you know, snowboarding.
Old 12-02-05, 10:45 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine showed up for a ride with her snowboard helmet. It was pink. It was also August. She was heckled. That said, I see a few folks riding with a snow helmet from time to time. Be aware that they are really not designed for cycling. The type of impact you might typically sustain while snowboarding is substantially different than that which might occur while biking. If your current lid is too tight to get a headband under, then go to your LBS and buy the cheapest helmet that will handle a balaclava or whatever [take it with you so you can try them on together]. Everybody should have killer sales on now.
Old 12-02-05, 11:34 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pro Tec Ace Dig. Sorta like a multi-sport helmet. Skiing, snowboarding, cycling, etc. And it's not pink. No ear things though.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 12-03-05, 11:24 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I'll second getting a bigger helmet. My ski helmet (Leedom Limit Cut) is so warm that my head is toasty just standing around at 0 degrees F. This would not work well for biking in 10-40 degree F range (typical winter temps for me). 30-40 and I wear a thin headband for my ears and anything lower I go to a full balaclava to keep my chin from freezing.

Oh, and a cheap bike helmet will probably fit better and cost less than a cheap snowboard helmet.
Old 12-03-05, 12:45 PM
sydney_b
it's my road too, dangit

Bikes: early 90's marin, 1969 schwinn collegiate, waterford, bridgestone rb1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am finding the ear muffs that wrap around the back of the head work wonderfully with my helmet. If you go this route, you still might want to get a helmet cover to help keep some heat in.

https://tinyurl.com/8oqvs

/s
Old 12-03-05, 01:36 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cycled with a Giro snowboard helmet w/ ear muffs for a few winters, it was OK. I replaced it with a Bell Metro with winter accessories (ear muffs, vent plugs, rain cover), which I like better. The rain cover isn't the best, but the ear muffs and went plugs work fine, over all I think it's a better helmet than the Giro snowboard helmet, for a little less money.
Old 12-04-05, 01:34 AM
Brad M
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a Giro S4 boarding bucket for half price. I can actually fit something under it if need be, and it's got vent plugs. Like I said, I'll probably also use it for actual snowboarding. I keep remembering that one star-inducing experience on some ice, the kid running in to my noggin with his board, and that other time... yeah, sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Brad M; 12-04-05 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 03:17 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found a Mountain Hardware fleece beanie with fold-down GoreTex earflaps at the local outdoor store. It fits nice and snug under my helmet without getting into my eyes. Very warm and quick drying.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-06-05, 04:17 AM
bennyk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad M
I may also use it for, you know, snowboarding.
heh

If you ride a road bike or use drops, you may find that the "brow" on a snowboard/ski helmet is too low and you'll have to push your neck up to see.

With that said, I like my ski helmet a lot, and it's got more ventilation/warmth options cause I can pull the ears and vents out. I haven't used it on my bike though...

Does anyone know how different the safety ratings are between cycling and ski helmets?

bk
Old 12-06-05, 04:47 AM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have seen hockey helmets and one football helmet- both guys appeared to be insane.
Old 12-06-05, 05:47 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was thinking of getting a ski helmet ... but I cannot come to terms of spending the money for mere "comfort" till March , when I go to ski (cheaper everything)
Old 12-06-05, 08:34 AM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike do you ride? If its a road bike, see about aero bars, and buy some form of time trial helmet that covers your ears