Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

best helmet for a hot head/sweating fool?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 03:30 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 858 Posts

I am a sweater. ie 48F out within 2 miles sweat is running in my eyes.....I have a budget of say $150 give or take, who makes the coolest (figuratively speaking) helmet? i know some will chime in and say nobody can pick a helmet for you but I want to know people's experience on what has been a cool helmet for them. for the record I have a normal size head
Old 08-02-23, 05:37 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I like my Lazer G1s in the heat.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-02-23, 06:05 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 439 Posts
Haven't tried enough helmets for a recommendation. But-have you tried a headsweat or a cooling towel worn under the helmet to absorb, or to wet with cold water to help keep your noggin cooler?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-02-23, 06:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,266 Times in 3,904 Posts
I recently picked up a Limar Air Pro for $99 off eBay (new). I’m pretty impressed with the air flow, and it seems to reduce the sweat dripping in my eyes better than my Scott Centric.
Old 08-02-23, 07:03 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 50 Posts
I would say *not* anything that uses Wavecel instead of MIPS. Protects your head, sure, but ventilation is definitely lacking. I have found wearing a bump or a cycling cap helps a ton though. I also shave my head, so don't have hair to absorb any sweat either
Likes For Ubie:
Old 08-02-23, 07:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3254 Post(s)
Liked 2,544 Times in 1,523 Posts
I don't know about which helmet to buy, but get yourself one of these. Most BFers swear by them.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...1026099&sr=8-4
Old 08-02-23, 07:37 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 1,623 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Most BFers swear by them.
I'm one of them.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 08-03-23, 12:18 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 773 Posts
consider a light, wicking cycling skull cap. I wear one all the time no matter how hot. i think it helps with sweat, and I don't think they increase heat on the head, maybe the opposite. All the various ones I've bought over the years have a sweat band over the forehead, plus the wicking material helps evaporate the sweat rather than drip down.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-03-23, 03:14 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
I live in a tropical climate, and switched to Pok ventral air after wearing Specialized helmets for years. I couldn’t be happier.

Last edited by Jumpski; 08-03-23 at 05:52 PM.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 08-03-23, 06:15 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Camilo
consider a light, wicking cycling skull cap. I wear one all the time no matter how hot. i think it helps with sweat, and I don't think they increase heat on the head, maybe the opposite. All the various ones I've bought over the years have a sweat band over the forehead, plus the wicking material helps evaporate the sweat rather than drip down.
I ride when it is in the low 40's and use a skull cap to keep my ears warm but even in the 40's it becomes drenched and just drips in my face. Maybe I need to try a different brand the one I have is a pearl izumi.
Old 08-03-23, 01:23 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Heads sweat even without a helmet at all, so the headband/skull cap suggestions are right on. I still love a well ventilated helmet, but none of them keep sweat out of my eyes without the skull cap on. Also, everything feels well ventilated to me nowadays since I first started riding with one of these (that logo at the front is flipped up for "extra ventilation".

Old 08-03-23, 01:23 PM
Chuy1530

Bikes: Giant TCR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I got the Halo headbands and they’re great for sweat management. Don’t really do much in terms of cooling that I noticed though.
Old 08-03-23, 02:10 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Heads sweat even without a helmet at all, so the headband/skull cap suggestions are right on. I still love a well ventilated helmet, but none of them keep sweat out of my eyes without the skull cap on. Also, everything feels well ventilated to me nowadays since I first started riding with one of these (that logo at the front is flipped up for "extra ventilation".

I am so old I remember when those were modern lol.. true story my buddy and I were pretty serious racers and he got one and goaded me into getting one. I rarely wore it and sure as **** I get taken out by a car head on (car turned the wrong way into my lane of traffic drunk driver) and as I was going through her windshield I was thinking dang I am not wearing that stupid helmet, literally the last time I rode without one.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-03-23, 04:47 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 454 Posts
Also been a heavy perspirer,,, wet head,,, drippy noser,,,
Helmets with a front vent over the forehead give me a little more cooling, a headband helps with channeling the sweat.
Some of the Specialized helmets had a large forehead vent... not sure on latest models. Fit me well
Other brand which fits me are Bell (NOT GIRO !!!! give me headaches).
Bought a Bell Stratus a few months ago, a lot of large vents. Nice, close fit, without a lot of 'extra' stuff.
Have not ridden much, but seems it could be the best ventilating of my current helmet stock (I have 5, various).
on sale, I pd less than $100...
I have one of the newer 'channel' designs, fine in cooler weather, not so much when it's hot...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-04-23, 03:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,972 Times in 3,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I like my Lazer G1s in the heat.
+1. Very good ventilation, very light, scores highly in independent crash tests, low profile doesn’t look like a mushroom.
Old 08-04-23, 11:40 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
My old Giro Atmos had really good venting. I think the comparable new version is the Aries. I have a Sweet Protection Falconer now (yes, it's obscure) that doesn't look like it would be that well ventilated, but the design works really well and keeps me pretty cool -- still plenty of sweating though.

But mostly, stay away from all Smith helmets. They use this KOROYD technology for crash protection that is terrible for airflow. I love my Smith ski helmet, but I quickly returned the bike helmet I ordered. I could tell right away just wearing it in the house in front of a fan that it was going to be a hot helmet.

I don't think any helmet will solve your sweating problem -- but some are definitely particularly bad.
Old 08-04-23, 11:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10499 Post(s)
Liked 12,026 Times in 6,156 Posts
For me, it's not just the vents. It's also the retention system. I bought a Giro Aether, which has lots of vents. Fits great, lots of adjustment. BUT the retention system includes a padded band across the forehead. On a normal ride, it's great for about 10 miles. Then the pad is completely saturated with sweat, and somehow, the design funnels all the sweat right into my left eye, and nothing I can do stops that. I tried a Gut'r headband, which kind of worked if I got the angle JUST right, but not on hot, sweaty days. Still funneled the sweat right into my eye.

Now I have a Kask Valegro, which lacks that padded headband. It's pretty good, though after about 20 miles it gets saturated. So I've added a Halo skullcap, and that seems to work, especially if I stop every 10 miles or so and push the helmet against my forehead in such a way that it squeezes the sweat out of the pads.

It's a never ending battle. I read somewhere that when you get older, you don't sweat as much. Cripes! I'm already 65! How old do I have to get before I no longer sweat like crazy?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-04-23, 01:07 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I don't know about which helmet to buy, but get yourself one of these. Most BFers swear by them.

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-Headband...1026099&sr=8-4
I used to wear that sweatband and works as advertised but I now always wear this one (skull cap). Captures all the sweat from the hair and wicks fast and micro-mesh is great for cooling. And if you are bald, you don't get the helmet sunburn on your head.
Old 08-04-23, 01:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,063 Posts
I use a motorcycle helmet skull cap. It absorbs sweat and also protects my neck from the sun. I also don't have to wash the inside of my bike helmet as much.

If you want more ventilation then try a mesh liner. They fit into the helmet and provide an air gap for cooling. They do not however absorb sweat.

Amazon Mesh Helmet Liner 9 USD
Old 08-04-23, 05:06 PM
thebankman
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember helmets in the 90s having thicker padding that would soak up the sweat. You could take off the helmet and squeeze the sweat out of the pads with your fingertips. Gross but effective. Did those go away completely?
Old 08-04-23, 05:10 PM
jadmt

I bought a lower priced Specialized Align II with a horizontal vent across the brow and went for a 50 mile ride this morning and so far so good.
Old 08-04-23, 05:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
The unfortunate truth is that the more material is removed, and therefore the more ventilation holes cut thru the helmet, the more expensive it will be.
Old 08-04-23, 05:27 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I sweat just thinking about sweating. The halo works good and I pair it with this cap...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0915S7XP3...ils&th=1&psc=1
I really like how it shades my eyes and it channels sweat well.
Old 08-04-23, 05:37 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 273 Posts
Any thoroughly-vented helmet will ventilate fine.
And buy a two-pack (on Amazon) of the Halo headband. Carry the spare to swap midride.
You could freeze your helmet and headband overnight to buy you some extra cooling.
I do that with my shoes, because my feet get overheated after about thirty miles.
Old 08-04-23, 06:28 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Last week I saw a video on Instagram where someone measured the temperature of white vs. black bike helmets and shoes. The white items were about 35 degrees cooler.

Here’s a Youtube video comparing white vs black for a motorcycle helmet but it shows the white being significantly cooler inside and out. I’m sure a black vs. white jersey will also have similar results.

Likes For momoman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.