Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

January 2, 2015 ride. Not what the other thread is about, either.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 07:41 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Made it 2 days into January and stopped completely, hit the deck hard after a dog cut across in front of me suddenly. Hit him, washed out my front wheel as I was slowing and cutting right to avoid him moving across from right to left. Save the "Pics or it didn't happen", I'm not taking pictures of a scrapped up bicycle or bloody appendages for anyone.

First off and most importantly, the bike has a shredded read derailleur cable, barked up RD, scrapes on both brake/shifter levers and hoods. Nothing else I can notice right now. rear derailleur gets checked out, cable replaced, Shifter/brakes get checked out and overhauled, thoroughly, and the bar tape gets replaced, its torn beyond using. I'll do a through check out tomorrow, when I feel worse and hurt more.

Me: hit on my right side, first, then my head (in a helmet, which is toast now, cracked) and the left hand (in gloves.) Head is alright, now, But I was woozy after the crash. Right forearm and elbow are barked up, quite well. Left hand's knuckles are beat up, but nothing feels broken, or hurts much. Right knee is barked up somewhat, not as good as the arm or left hand.

I was coherent enough to move out of the road quickly and could walk as well as someone with PD can. Jersey and tights are torn up on their right side, toast, too. Helmet is cracked and scraped up, toast, too. I was standing on the shoulder of the road and a gentle that lives along the road, and his son, came up and stopped to check on me. These nice folks see me every day when I am riding and were worried since I was just standing there, looking ragged and bleeding. The son took my phone as I told them my name and address, as well as telephone number, in case I went out from the head banging. I told them that I had crashed and thought I may have a concussion, would they take me, and the CAAD 10, to my house. The son loaded my bicycle in the bed of their pick-up and helped me get in. I started sucking on the water bottle to keep from getting dried out, a major issue for my kidney disease when I am hurt like this (don't ask, please.) He took me to my house, unloaded my bicycle and got the front door unlocked for me, bicycle was wheeled inside. After he was certain I was alright and that Monica was on the way home, he bid me adieu. He called the house later to check on me, really nice fellow, that family gets a treat this weekend.

After Monica got home, I had called her and let her know I had licked the asphalt, but was okay, she checked me over and looked sick at my scrapes, and my stupidity. I hurt on the right shoulder pretty bad right now, took some aspirin, and the helmet, tights and jersey are right offs. I won't be seeing the owner of the little dog for compensation, I know them from my riding, he didn't do anything that dogs don't do, I should have stopped and let her sniff the leave, but she always runs along side me, never cut close to me before. Save me the liability speech for the dog owner, ain't going to happen. I am going to take a few days off, first time in along time to be down from riding. Get the bicycle in order, and make sure I am not more screwed up, than usual. If I ain't here, don't think I have abandoned ship, I will be back riding shortly. Sorry to be so long fingered.

Bill (Ol' Twitchy, and bloody)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-02-15, 08:37 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, thanks for posting this as i would have done exactly what you did by having the friendly dog run with you.Now hearing this it puts that into the list of things not to do. Get Well soon.
Old 01-02-15, 08:59 PM
K100Fran 

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about your accident. I can sympathize, had one similar in Sept. Only I took pictures while I was in the ER. Thankfully my body took most of the damage and next to nothing on the bike.
What brand helmet? Giro offers 30% off for crash replacement.

Heal quickly and all the best in 2015.
Old 01-02-15, 09:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Heal well brother. Almost back from a spill in August. Just waiting for a post for my front tooth. And those dang animals...Had a squirrel run in front of me and a second that hit the rider behind me on Saturday.
Old 01-02-15, 09:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you're OK. Sleep well tonight, and don't be surprised if you wake up feeling 100% worse.

On the bright side, it's so refreshing to hear someone say, "Sh-t happened, it was as much my fault a anybody else's", then man up and put himself back together without looking for someone else to pay.

BTW- what planet did you come from?

Unsolicited advice that you can feel free to ignore. Stop taking aspirin, which has been linked to increased bleeding complications in head injuries. Also don't be alone for 24 hours. There are often delayed complications from seemingly minor head trauma. Stay with someone who can keep an eye on you and get help if it's needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-02-15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 09:30 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sorry to hear you temporarily qualify for the nickname of Bloody Bill.
Since you hit your helmeted head with force, be alert for any symptoms that need checking out. That applies to all of you, of course, not just your head.
The people who gave you a ride sound like very nice folks.
If you didn't live in Florida, I'd mention that Winter is the best time to be banged up.
Old 01-02-15, 09:34 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad you're not seriously hurt. Keep vigilant for signs of a concussion, though.

Kudos to that nice man and his son for helping you get home.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 01-02-15, 09:58 PM
hochflynn

Bikes: 2014 Engin (custom titanium), 2008 Specialized tarmac, 2002 Trek 2300

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Sorry to hear you temporarily qualify for the nickname of Bloody Bill.
Since you hit your helmeted head with force, be alert for any symptoms that need checking out. That applies to all of you, of course, not just your head.
The people who gave you a ride sound like very nice folks.
If you didn't live in Florida, I'd mention that Winter is the best time to be banged up.
Way too familiar, and too recent. New Year's Day ride, in central FLORIDA (first time wintering there, for an extended cycling vacation, thru end of January), dog runs towards me, circles around and takes out my wife. Owner is nearby, as helpful and apologetic as can be (gave us a ride to our rental, a 20 mile trip). My wife was pretty dazed and hurting, but just as concerned for the dog as herself. Dog was fine, she, not so fine. We're in the ER into late afternoon: no concussion, but a broken elbow. Saw the orthopedic doctor today - surgery for a plate and screws scheduled for Tuesday. As the original poster commented, dog was doing what dog's do, so we're not even taking its owner up on offer to pay for new helmet (cracked - please, please, please, always wear a helmet) and any bike repairs. Bike seems okay, but will take it to a local shop for inspection and new bar tape. Sh*t sometimes happens, but frustrating as hell for her.
Old 01-02-15, 09:58 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Ouch!! Sounds like you'll be OK, but like Cbad says watch for concussion signs. We're thankful for the kind man that helped you! Heal up good and get back on that horse!
Old 01-02-15, 11:39 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Jeez Bill, sorry to hear of bad crashes anytime.

Yeah keep vigilant for any signs of concussion, get the bike back up and running and stay at it I hope.
Old 01-03-15, 12:28 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Bill, glad this is a report we were able to get directly from you. The helmet died doing what it was supposed to do.
Like others have said, although it's not nice to read about your misfortune, it's refreshing to hear it from someone not looking to place blame or seek restitution. But we all know you are a man of extraordinary character anyway, so we expect nothing less.
Heal quickly, fix the bike, and ride on.
Old 01-03-15, 12:37 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Ouch. Dogs and young kids..yikes. Those slow/low speed wrecks seem to have an unusual punch. I strongly suggest a doc's exam if the morning finds you not so well. Heal up.
Old 01-03-15, 12:39 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Sorry about the crash. I hope the hurt only lasts a few days and you'll soon be on the mend and back on the bike.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-03-15, 02:58 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
On the bright side, it's so refreshing to hear someone say, "Sh-t happened, it was as much my fault a anybody else's", then man up and put himself back together without looking for someone else to pay.
This, Big time.

But knowing Bill, and having followed his challenges, it's something that isn't surprising. At all.

Heal fast, Bill. Take real good care of that kidney situation, too; it strikes me as being as important to keep and eye on that as on the outer wounds.

And kind regards to Monica and the kids from me and Machka.
Old 01-03-15, 03:22 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Bill, I'm so sorry to hear this! The wife and I were just discussing non-auto related bike accidents last evening.

Our best wishes, (but no advice offered) for a speedy, low pain recovery!
Old 01-03-15, 05:23 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Bill,

Dittoes to all the above. It is distressing to read of such mishaps, and I winced with your vivid description but thanks for posting and keeping us vigilant.

I must admit, I did open this thread thinking, "Well what's so special about January 2?," having posted to the "January 1 bike ride" thread.

Jim

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-15 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 06:16 AM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good to hear you are OK! Pay attention to any signs your body sends you that may crop up in the next few days and take care of it.

good on you regarding the s*** happens attitude, hopefully the dog is OK too. Helmets, clothing, bike parts are easily replaceable, people and pets not so easily replaced.

take it easy and heal well!
Old 01-03-15, 06:42 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Condolences - and thank goodness for the helmet!
Old 01-03-15, 07:03 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Hey Bill...Take care an start Thinking about three wheels.

Old 01-03-15, 07:09 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from across the pond.
I had a slow speed crash this year that snapped my helmet, knocked me out and hospitalised me with concussion. It takes a longer time to recover on the 50+ forum, so make sure you're fully OK before getting back on the bike.
Old 01-03-15, 08:16 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
So sorry to hear about your crash, Bill. Glad that the injuries seem to be minor (though painful), but do watch for complications. You have had to deal with this setback/recovery process way more than your fair share, so I am confident that once you and your bike are sufficiently healed, you'll be back out there pressing on.

Keep on pedaling!
Old 01-03-15, 08:21 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
It happens and can/does happen often on a route we take all the time and know every rock and animal on...dogs are unpredictable.
Glad you didn't get hurt too badly...or your bike.
Old 01-03-15, 08:34 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident, Bill, but it sounds like you're taking it as well as you can. Good luck with recovery. Please post and let us know how you're doing. All the best.
Old 01-03-15, 09:01 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Thanks to everyone, nice to have this thread not turn into a flame fest, or a sue the bastards diatribe. I am sore, but actually not too bad for the way I went over the bars and hit the pavement. Helmet took the brunt of the damage, as is is supposed to, cracked on the right front, through the foam and shell, gets replaced this afternoon from our LBS. Jersey is a write off, too, right shoulder and neck are shredded beyond repairs, ordered a replacement last night, along with a pair of tights.

Read Derailleur cable and bar tape will come with the helmet, also. No other damage other than cosmetic scrapes on both brake/shifter sets and their hoods (ordering new SRAM hoods, I like the feel of these over the Hudz) Frame, wheels, bars and all, are fine, and have been checked over thoroughly.

I am watching for any concussion signs, carefully, with all my problems I don't need that, by any means. Monica has been watching me, and helping me with tasks, where the right shoulder is a bit limited, shirts and reaching up high. Probably the most pain is the left thumb, looks like a separation at the knuckle that popped back when I took off the gloves. Left hand got scraped up, but the glove was not damaged, remarkable. Probably saved me from much worse injury there, as did the tights and helmet.

Thanks, again, for the well wishes and thoughts from everyone, makes me feel even better. I never think in terms of civil actions, I trained in civil law for my second degree, I detest law suits, so I never used the degree, returned to civil engineering. The dog was just being a dog, I thing she is alright, no sign of her. The guy that took me home, and his son, are first rate people, as are many of the folks where I live and ride. Calling to check on me later was nice of him to do, Monica was touched by this, too. Good folks. I'll be alright, not going to take chances, so I'll stay off the CAAD for a few days to be sure I don't have a concussion, or other effects that aren't showing up, Parkinson's demands this from me.

FBinNY, no one can figure out what planet I am from, many theories, but nothing to narrow it down, few of my species roam the earth, the strange and weird kind.

Bill (Ol'Twitchy)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-03-15, 10:38 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Praying for you, Ol' Twitchy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.