Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dry Eyes and the Aging Boomers

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 02:45 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

The Optometrist confirmed it: I have dry eyes. Tear ducts are getting compromised. It comes with age. Bike riding without eye protection like eyedrops will quicken the deterioration.

Even when riding at 15 mph, coupled with a wind speed of say 5mph, the cumulative effect may be at most 20 mph.

Add the bike position on a road bike, and the "lean forward" puts the eyes in the exposed position. The sunglasses? It just protects the sun's rays from hitting the eyes. Wind effect will still get there.

Tear ducts need to be preserved using various methods. Once the ducts get clogged and the tears cannot dissolve the natural body oil, comes the inflammation which hastens the aging process.

Cornea begins to get "cloudy" and that cannot be reversed. So far there is not replacement for cornea.
Old 07-15-23, 07:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Have had dry eye for years. My strategy before a ride is to thoroughly wash my lids to free from oils. Use good quality drops before the ride. Carry the drops with me if my eyes start feeling irritated and wear the largest cycling eyewear to shield as much wind and UV as possible. It has worked so far….so good.

Best of luck

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-15-23, 09:14 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I use those heated eyelid covers at night.. supposed to help unclog the ducts at night.
Old 07-16-23, 12:43 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Also some medications can increase the dry eye problem.
Old 07-16-23, 01:01 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I learned as a teenager bicycling the coast that a bug hitting my eye at 25 mph was going to hurt and when one eye was impacted I found it difficult to keep the other eye open so I was riding blind. Standard sunglasses allow too much air to hit my cheeks and then go up and into my eyes.

My criteria for riding eyeglasses is first UV A/B protection, second a closs enough fit to keep the wind and dirt and bugs out of my eyes as much as possible, and third to have a magnifying section so my old eyes can read the bike computer display.

I buy reader safety glasses in clear, gray, and yellow tint and pay less than $20 per pair. The safety glasses also have narrow side temples so my peripheral vision is minimally obstructed.

Anyone's eyes will dry out in wind and then the cornea is not protected and more readily scratched. Riding a motorcycle at speeds over 30 mph required goggles to protect my eyes from the wind created. Same problem with dogs whose owners allow them to stick their heads out of the vehicle.
Old 07-16-23, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I use those heated eyelid covers at night.. supposed to help unclog the ducts at night.
And did they?

Old 07-16-23, 09:52 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
And did they?
I used to wakeup at night so often and be too frustrated to go back to sleep.. I did the whole drops and actually used Px cream (pretty sure it was Erythromycin. I used to use the heated gels pads daily... maybe once or twice a week now and I'm not waking up anymore. I still have some discomfort when I get up in the morning, but I rarely resort to the cream now.
Old 07-17-23, 12:26 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
The sunglasses? It just protects the sun's rays from hitting the eyes. Wind effect will still get there.
Sounds like you're using the wrong sunglasses.

Originally Posted by Calsun
My criteria for riding eyeglasses is first UV A/B protection, second a closs enough fit to keep the wind and dirt and bugs out of my eyes as much as possible
^^^This. Cycling glasses need to protect your eyes...from all manner of danger.
Old 07-17-23, 04:45 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I love the Wiley WX sunglasses. They have a removable foam insert that cups the eye minimizing the amount of wind / air running across the eye. I also put a drop of Blink or night time gel drops before a ride. Usually have zero problems on rides no matter the length. These glasses have really saved me / eyes as I live to ride. Good luck.
Old 07-18-23, 05:55 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I bet I have tried 25 sets of glasses to find what I currently ride to get a tight fit in clear and UV protection. I have light readers in my jersey for tire repair, etc.
Old 07-19-23, 11:07 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I used to have the problem of excessive tears forming due to dry eyes. Then last December I had both cataracts removed with replacement lenses. Now, no more excessive tears and no more dry eyes. Never thought about it but the rough edges of a cataract must be contributing to the problem. I put off getting the surgery done, for about a year. I shouldn't have. I still use artificial tears in the morning.
Old 07-20-23, 09:29 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 837 Posts
My ophthalmologist told me pretty much the same thing about tear ducts clogging, and the importance of natural oils in maintain ocular surface health. To get me past a flareup, he prescribed Alcon Flarex and Zerviate, then had me continue with Zerviate every few days. Seemed to help. He also did mention gentle heating, although he was pushing a $1900 one-time treatment. spdntrxi's heated eyepads sound like a better bet.

Following his retirement, I found a new ophthalmologist who had never heard of Zerviate, but saw no reason not to continue intermittent use for dry eye, and she is willing to renew my prescription when I run out.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-21-23, 04:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can't relate. I'm 77 and my distance vision has gotten better. I ride with my Maui Jim's and have no problems.I have Oakleys but the MJ's are lighter and better. I'm good. FWIW this is in the race bike position on an aerobike.
Old 07-22-23, 10:34 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I can't relate. I'm 77 and my distance vision has gotten better. I ride with my Maui Jim's and have no problems. I have Oakleys but the MJ's are lighter and better. I'm good. FWIW this is in the race bike position on an aerobike.
Some of those of us with seasonal allergies and those who live in arid climates find that dry eye syndrome flares up intermittently.

I haven't had decent distant vision since third grade, when I started asking other kids to read the chalkboard for me. I faked it for almost a school year, until I miserably failed a vision screening by the school nurse. For the past 35 years, I have had a pretty stable -7.25 diopter correction. No complaints -- my brother is about a -13, as was my late father. (They could wear each other's contact lens if they swapped left and right -- one was -12.75/-13.25, and the other was -13.0/-12.5. )
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E: