Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for Pannier Racks for Road Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 09:18 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Good news is that the frame is steel but no braze-ons at all.
I found these three on Amazon...

I can see already that the cheapest one will wiggle from side to side. The other 2 look good but I'd like to find a cheaper alternative since I'll have to also.buy panniers as well. Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-23, 09:43 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I know I could not install a rack like “Universal” on my road bike due to lack of both braze-on and threads at rear dropout.

I have used a product similar to “ThreeH” for a light load on top, but I can’t hang a pannier since there is no lateral support.

The “ROCKBROS” might overcome that problem but I don’t have any direct experience with that configuration.
Old 08-28-23, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I may get flamed for being non-responsive, but here goes anyway. Pay up front and get some good racks and good panniers. The racks don't have to be Tubus, but don't be afraid to spend some money to get good bracing (with p-clamps since you don't have braze-ons). I've been commuting for most of the last 15 years with Ortlieb panniers. Amortized over that time, the cost per year isn't too bad. If you're worried about cost, figure out what you're paying for gas and parking. I've cut my gas cost by 2/3 bike commuting (one fill-up per month instead of three), and that savings adds up pretty fast.

Your second rack (seat post mount) may be OK with a rack-top bag, but, depending on streets and traffic, you may have problems with bag sway. I've had good luck with one that looks like your first option, although I don't know anything about the materials or metallurgy of that rack. I'd feel more confident buying a rack from REI with its return policy than from Amazon.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-28-23, 10:05 AM
RoadWearier

I can get this one for $20. Hard to pass up. I'm going to ride t the sellers house and put it on then and there. So if there is missing hardware or it doesn't fit I won't be out money
Old 08-28-23, 10:08 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Seatpost-clamp beam racks don't typically work with panniers for two reasons: there's nothing to stop the pannier from swinging into the rear wheel, and if the pannier uses a lower hook to stay on the rack there's nothing for it to hook onto. They also generally weigh a metric ton, relatively speaking. But they're good for racktop bags on rear-suspension bikes, as I have on my GT.

You say your frame has no "braze-ons"; e.g. eyelets for rack mounting. I presume this means none on the seatstays or the dropouts. As for the dropouts, Blackburn made a adapter to use the center cutout in most older road bike dropouts into an eyelet - an eBay search should readily turn some up. Mounting to the seatstays simply uses P-clamps as other have mentioned.
Old 08-28-23, 12:43 PM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I think your heading down the right path but you have to be looking at a better rack. The weight of a pannier and it bouncing around (With a load.) can and will wreck havoc with it. If money is tight, go to E-bay for a good deal on top rated racks and panniers.
Old 08-28-23, 01:33 PM
RoadWearier

Sorry here's the one I can get for $20. Mounts on the seat tube and seat stays.
Old 08-29-23, 12:24 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
A pannier rack is NEVER supposed to mount on a seatpost and dropouts at the same time.

It's one or the other.

Your LBS will have proper name brand racks and will help you choose the one that fits the bike's geometry.

I have an Axiom DLX that does 50kg.
Old 08-29-23, 04:12 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by soyabean
A pannier rack is NEVER supposed to mount on a seatpost and dropouts at the same time.

It's one or the other.

Your LBS will have proper name brand racks and will help you choose the one that fits the bike's geometry.

I have an Axiom DLX that does 50kg.
Wow. You seem to feel strongly about this. Why can't a luggage rack mount to a seat post and dropouts?
Old 08-29-23, 04:49 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Because it's just gripped onto the seatpost by tension.

Bikes with rear suspensions can only use pannier racks that grip onto seatposts, nowhere else, and thus, are made for extremely light loads. Any trauma to this kind of rack usually just safely twists it out of position, no harm here.

However, I've seen the haphazard chinese rack that clamps to both the seatpost and fastens the axle... on a rear suspension bike. The rider has essentially turned their rear suspension bike into a hardtail at the mercy of the haphazard rack to hold up, plus the rider is given false confidence to carry a heavier load that will succumb to catastrophic failure. Pull a stunt like this in the automotive world and you can expect lawsuits to follow.

For the bikes that don't have any bosses for the front of the pannier racks, there are seatpost clamps that add bosses for rack to properly fasten to.

Go visit your LBS and see if they'll sell you any haphazard racks. I know Axiom, Thule, Filzer don't make any for these explained reasons.
Attached Images
Old 08-29-23, 05:24 PM
RoadWearier

I appreciate the advice, but the seatpost end has a clamp on it. And you know this is for a road bike, right? No rear suspension.
Old 08-29-23, 05:42 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
FWIW, In my limited experience, a seatpost rack raises the weight of the load you're putting on it (compared to a "normal" rack) and noticeably changes the handling of the bike. It's a viable solution, but when I tried a seatpost rack, I hated it.
Old 08-29-23, 06:02 PM
RoadWearier

Ok. Maybe I'll bag the whole idea and just see how I do with a largish backpack.
Old 08-29-23, 06:51 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have the one with the little mud fender on my ebike. Slight rattle or rough stuff ( curbs, light gravel) but otherwise I like it for the price. Got some cheap panniers from Public which are good enough for a grocery run.
Old 08-29-23, 09:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Ok. Maybe I'll bag the whole idea and just see how I do with a largish backpack.
Have you considered a front rack and basket? A pic of the bike would really help.
Old 08-30-23, 09:12 AM
RoadWearier

It's a 1982 (I think) Medici Pro Strada. Basically an old steel road bike. Not sure but I think the bars are too narrow for a front basket.

I still don't understand what is mechanically wrong with the rack that mounts to seat post and seat stays
Old 08-31-23, 02:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's definitely a racing/training bike. A nice example. The people who made it so long ago did not intend for racks and panniers. You are supposed to use a saddlebag. The more expensive it was, the thinner the tubing for the stays. So people are worrying on your behalf those will be crushed or bent or just scratched or otherwise assaulted. Or that by clamping something to them you will somehow spoil the ride by reinforcing things that are supposed to be springy.

I've had a couple of old steel road bikes with a top bag on the rear, and they would get head shake / tank slapping if I sat up straight riding hands off, especially at higher speed.

Although not everyone will agree, I say backpack.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-31-23, 04:04 PM
RoadWearier

Ok. Sounds good. I really just wanted something I could put on for light grocery shopping (bread at the bread store, tomatoes at the farmers market). I can probably just pull that off with the backpack I have. There are messenger bags for sale near me but I'm not convinced of the advantages.
Old 09-07-23, 03:32 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
How about something like this?
Old 09-07-23, 03:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
It's a 1982 (I think) Medici Pro Strada. Basically an old steel road bike. Not sure but I think the bars are too narrow for a front basket.

I still don't understand what is mechanically wrong with the rack that mounts to seat post and seat stays
Nothing (for a road bike or a hard-tail), but a seat post clamp that allows for rack mounting is a bit better, because it sits lower and you can move the seat post without issue.

Does your fork by any chance include low rider mounts? If so, you might be better off with the load low and in the front.
Old 09-07-23, 03:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
How about something like this?
I have 2 or 3 of those. I got them for about $35 on Amazon. They work great (although I haven't had to mount them in the way the OP will require).
Old 09-07-23, 09:00 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts

The best quality one is the Rock Bros, they claim it can hold 110 pounds securely.

The others on your list are poorly made ones, they may claim X amount of weight, but like generic headlights that claim 20,000 lumens when the reality is they only do 200 lumens, these generic racks will be the same sort of thing.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 10-31-23, 06:04 PM
RoadWearier

FWIW...thought I'd follow up. Found a Topeak Gtx(?) Bag and accompanying rack for $40! Quite a deal. Went straight to Home Depot for P clamps for $2.

Pros...Very slick. Very easy on and off for the bags.
P clamps...worked well but a little fiddly to get on. Definitely tighten a little bit at a time. And use nylon nuts!

Cons..As mentioned on here before. The bags definitely rattle when on the bike but I think it's a fair trade off.
​​​​​
Old 10-31-23, 09:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Glad you found something that worked.

I recently played around with my road bike. Not sure if it would have made an impact on your decision.

Axiom Streamliner rear rack, mounted to the rear brake bolt and rear QR.
Old 11-01-23, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
FWIW...thought I'd follow up. Found a Topeak Gtx(?) Bag and accompanying rack for $40! Quite a deal. Went straight to Home Depot for P clamps for $2.

Pros...Very slick. Very easy on and off for the bags.
P clamps...worked well but a little fiddly to get on. Definitely tighten a little bit at a time. And use nylon nuts!

Cons..As mentioned on here before. The bags definitely rattle when on the bike but I think it's a fair trade off.
​​​​​
Dump the P-clamps. They are terrible. Measure your stays and get the proper size of these clamps from Tubus. Much easier to install and much stronger. I’ve used them for both the upper and lower attachments without issues.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.