Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

single speed/fixie chain length

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 11:16 AM
echelon3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First time putting a single speed chain on a new bike. I followed the Park Tools video instructions, and this is where I am. It's not all the way to the end but it's a bit close. Should I shorten it? Their reasoning for the extra links was to allow removal of the wheel.

Old 10-30-23, 12:58 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
To test, loosen your axle limit screws to the desired depth, move the wheel forward, and see if you can double a section of chain. My eyeball estimate says, yes, you can safely remove one pair of links.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-30-23, 01:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
A pair of links will move the wheel 1/2". You can do that easily. But you will also see why I far prefer bike frames with old-school horizontal road dropouts. Far easier to remove the rear wheel with it not mattering at all where the hub is in the dropout. And limit screws on a steel frame and good toothed track nuts are rarely needed, even for the gorillas out there. (I've never seen them in the photos I've found of Nelson Vails, a rather formidable pure track sprinter. Those limit screws do however slow ever wheel removal until you get tired of them and remove 'em. (Now, if you always run the same cog and chainwheel, the equivalent screws on road dropouts are wonderful. Set them for correct chain slack and you do not have to think at all to put the wheel back in. Slide it back until you hit the screws. Done. Chain slack is perfect.)

Where you have the wheel placed now is just fine. Plenty of clamping. Eventually the chain will "stretch" and put the wheel about an 1/8" further back. That will be a little marginal.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-30-23, 04:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
While people speak about adjusting chain tension, it's really about adjusting for proper slack.

There must always be b some slack, and because sprockets are rarely concentric, the slack will vary. Turn the cranks and watch to find the tightest position, then position the wheel so there's at least 1/8" of sag at the middle.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-30-23, 08:18 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
To test, loosen your axle limit screws to the desired depth, move the wheel forward, and see if you can double a section of chain. My eyeball estimate says, yes, you can safely remove one pair of links.
agree with your assessment. Had a Bianchi track bike, no screws. My eyeball says the same.
Old 10-30-23, 08:30 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the how long subject is settled...

the adjusting screws can make wheel removal a bit tricky...
i tend to derail the chain off the chainring, then derail it off the rear sprocket,... the wheel is then easily removed.

this leaves the axle position adjusters where they need to be... installation is the opposite of removal.. slip axle into dropouts, rear on, front on, finger tighten nuts, TEST/check for proper everything, tighten.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-30-23, 10:12 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A pair of links will move the wheel 1/2". You can do that easily. But you will also see why I far prefer bike frames with old-school horizontal road dropouts. Far easier to remove the rear wheel with it not mattering at all where the hub is in the dropout. And limit screws on a steel frame and good toothed track nuts are rarely needed, even for the gorillas out there. (I've never seen them in the photos I've found of Nelson Vails, a rather formidable pure track sprinter.
It's kinda too late to go out and buy a new bike because of the rear dropouts.
Old 10-31-23, 10:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It's kinda too late to go out and buy a new bike because of the rear dropouts.
True. But someone reading this thread might not have bought their next fix gear/SS yet. And what the OP is seeing is exactly why I made the comment.
Old 10-31-23, 03:09 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
True. But someone reading this thread might not have bought their next fix gear/SS yet. And what the OP is seeing is exactly why I made the comment.
Maybe some brand manager will read this thread and get around to making a single-speed bike with forward-facing horizontal dropouts.