Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching parts from one QR to another

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: Is there a way I can switch the end caps or should I look for a different skewer?
Do I need to search for a trainer QR with a custom or smaller axle online
100.00%
Switch the parts between the two different QR
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 04:10 PM
dp_i83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to set up an old steel bike of mine on a trainer however I needed a new qr skewer as the end caps didn’t fit the trainer. The axle it to long to fit the bike properly as the width is noticeably shorter so the axle will stick out of the end cap preventing the bike from mounting correctly. So I was planning on taking the end cap and lever end of the new axle and put it on my old one that way it fits the bike correctly. But I’m having trouble taking off the enclosed cam on the qr I got with the trainer. Any methods or tools you might recommend?
Old 04-20-24, 05:01 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4449 Post(s)
Liked 1,587 Times in 1,046 Posts
I don't understand how parts are both too long and too short, but all QR skewers are not made with identical parts, so just switching them is like putting a Toyota piston in a Ford engine.

Just buy a skewer. They are cheap. Trainer skewers are usually stocked by bike shops.

If you have a narrow hub, and the trainer has no hole in the ends for the skewer to stick into, you can find old skewers that should work (all metal), or you can cut the one you have.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-21-24, 08:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4215 Post(s)
Liked 3,892 Times in 2,323 Posts
Wasn't this recently asked about? Maybe the OP is shopping for the answer they want?

I wouldn't mess with the chance of a wheel coming loose or not being tightened well enough. As others have said (here and elsewhere) different QR brands will often have their own dimensions of skewer cam and end cap and the default is they are not interchangeable between brands (or even models within a brand). The adjusting nut end cap is fine to swap as long as the threading is the same (and many are M5 but I wouldn't assume that till checked).

This is just one more example where the component designers/manufacturers and the accessory ones don't "work with each other" before they make something.

For the low cost of a replacement skewer, and the high possible cost of failure, to not do the right thing is being penny foolish.

I'd answer your poll but #1 doesn't make sense to me. Is the problem that the trainer won't close up enough to grab the replacement skewer ends fully? or the skewer threaded end will stick out too far and thus bottom out on the trainer's cupping clamp ends before the skewer cap seats fully? or is there something else going on (you use the word "axle" when you might have meant the skewer's shaft)?

If it's that the skewer end bottoms out in the trainer clamping cup then just cut it down some. Andy
Old 04-21-24, 08:58 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 1,462 Posts
First of all, why is this a poll?

Otherwise, if I understand correctly, the original skewer shape is wrong, (or it's too nice to ruin) for the trainer. The one that came with the trainer is too long and sticks out past the nut.

Calls for a hack saw, not a complicated mix and match of skewer parts.
Old 04-21-24, 09:32 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,313 Times in 1,119 Posts
dp_i83 This is a case where a picture is worth a 1000 words. You can't post one, but you can upload some and let us know when you uploaded and someone will do a pic assist.

Likes For Chuck M: