Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Is it bad that I have very little road experience?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 09:45 PM
TheLastEric

Bikes: Just a cheap Mongoose XR 75 26' Men's Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, here's my predicament. I don't drive a car and never have on the road because I can't "legally" drive a car. I have peripheral vision issues for some reason - doctors don't really know why. Guess I'm just not destined to drive a vehicle. That's okay, gas is crazy high anyway.

So, I've been getting rides from family and friends forever. They never complain, but I start to feel like I'm mooching every now and then. It finally dawned on me a while back that I should start riding a bicycle. My only problem is I don't have any real experience riding in traffic of any kind because I've never driven a car before. I took my bike out for a spin today just around the block - which basically consists of a really busy main road in town at first until I turn around the block. I did okay. I stayed to the right when I could, and when the lanes were too narrow or when there were cars parked I signaled and "controlled" the lane. and of course I signaled while turning or merging. I just sort of felt kind of odd...

I'm not even really sure what I'm asking for here. Just wanting to discuss this with like minded people I guess. Any tips? Any advice? No, I'm not the best rider in the world, but I don't do too bad either. and I tried to remain predictable and went as straight as I could. The only bad experience I had was on the way back, some guy decided to stick his head out of his truck and yell "you need a haircut!!!!!". I have really long hair. But it was in a pony tail. I passed 2 cops I think... (or they passed me, rather.) No one honked at me or yelled at me about the actual biking... So I guess I did okay.

this is getting too long. my apologies. Again, anyone else in my shoes? Or in similar? Is this sad or pathetic? lol. I really don't know. I'd really like for my bike to be my main transportation soon - I'm really tired of getting rides. I just need to somehow become a little more accustomed to the road. I'm actually thinking about making a trip to the court house and asking some really stupid questions about biking in this small town - because I've not seen many people do it.
Old 06-18-10, 10:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I hate to say this, but wouldn't the same peripheral vision thing that prevents you driving be a hazard for road cycling?
Old 06-18-10, 11:02 PM
khanom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Practice on low traffic roads. You [b]will[b] get used to it, and gain confidence. It sounds like you are doing all the right things!

I would highly recommend you look into getting one or more mirrors. I ride with a "Take a Look" mirror on my helmet or glasses and find it really helpful. You can also get them for your handle bars.
Old 06-19-10, 03:20 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree about the mirrors. If you have problems with peripheral vision, they might be the difference between safe and unsafe. As your bike-handling skills improve, you'll be able to look around you, turning your head, and still hold a straight line, but to start with I'd suggest that mirrors are a good idea.

As for the rest, go for it. You sound as if you know the basics and are riding sensibly. What you need is practice. The "odd" feeling will pass, you're just in unfamiliar territory and feeling conspicuous. As for being shouted at from passing vehicles, welcome to our world...
Old 06-19-10, 04:50 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right "road" to me. Some people will never become comfortable cycling in traffic regardless of how much you do it, others take to it like a duck to water. The use of mirrors is a good idea too. I use a couple of different ones depending on the bike.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-19-10, 05:42 AM
TheLastEric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I hate to say this, but wouldn't the same peripheral vision thing that prevents you driving be a hazard for road cycling?
This thought goes through my mind everyday. There's always going to be that little bit higher of a chance that I won't be able to see something others would be able to as quick as they would be able to see it. But, it's MUCH easier for me to be aware of my surroundings on a bike that it is in a car - on a bike as I turn my head I see everything around me. Nothing is physically in the way blocking what little side vision I do have. And keeping to the right right makes things a lot easier and simpler. I do have to turn my head a look quickly behind me a tad bit more frequently than most drivers do. But I have to be able to get from point A to point B sometimes, and I'm not really sure what my country wants me to do about it half of the time. Bikes go much slower than cars, I have more time to make adjustments and stuff.

To be completely honest, I could probably drive a car just fine. I just don't feel comfortable because there is that chance that I won't see something in time - and going 40-50 miles per hour makes me uncomfortable. But on a bike I'm only going 15-20 miles per hour at the most usually. And a bike accidentally running into a car isn't really going to do as much damage as a car would.

So the answer your question - yes and no. But as long as I make my intentions clear and ride predictably, I shouldn't have any problems.
Old 06-19-10, 05:44 AM
TheLastEric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khanom
Practice on low traffic roads. You [b]will[b] get used to it, and gain confidence. It sounds like you are doing all the right things!

I would highly recommend you look into getting one or more mirrors. I ride with a "Take a Look" mirror on my helmet or glasses and find it really helpful. You can also get them for your handle bars.
Ah, yes. mirrors would be an excellent addition. Thanks.
Old 06-19-10, 08:46 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLastEric
Ah, yes. mirrors would be an excellent addition. Thanks.
I have peripheral vision issues too, but for the simple reason that I am near sighted. When I am riding my bike, because of my glasses, I have to turn my head a greater distance than others to check for cars. I can't see anything out of the sides of my glasses. I didn't have this problem when I wore contact lenses.

So I got a mirror and voila! I can now see what is going on behind me without having to turn my head.

I wouldn't ride a bike without one.

Cheers,
cycleobsidian
Old 06-19-10, 08:58 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mirrors are the best investment you can make, along side good tires. a good mirror is definately more important though.

as for the road experience, that comes with time. i take as many non-main roads as possible when going places. and on main roads i try and time it so im not on them during either the morning rush or the evening rush. if i cant avoid rush hour, i have no problem taking the sidewalk when need be.

Last edited by mr geeker; 06-19-10 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-19-10, 09:34 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it bad that I have very little road experience? - No! It is only as bad as you want it to be. Many people riding bikes in the city have little or no road experience because they ride on the sidewalk or on bike paths. I find riding on the road much safer than the two because I can control my surroundings easier and own the road with very little interference. Get some mirrors and ride when you feel comfortable doing so. With time, you will feel safe and not have any problems owning the lane in which you ride.
Old 06-19-10, 03:45 PM
SunnyFlorida

Bikes: Sun Miami Trike - 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! You sound a lot like me: Never owned a car, newbie to riding, tired of getting lifts from family and friends and a little visually challenged to boot.

Unlike you though I'm a bit of a wuss. I ride a trike and stay on available bike lanes and quiet side streets. When neither are available, I ride the sidewalk, which is legal where I live in Florida and are not crowded with walkers at all - just other cyclists - strangely enough. I guess they're wusses too.

However, I can easily see the advantage of riding in the street. There is definitely less wear and tear on your bike (due to uneven sidwalks) besides being able to go a little faster.

I was reading what you were already doing and it sounds a lot of what I'm trying to keep in mind as I ride. Oh so scary at times but I must confess that it doesn't seem to be stopping me from venturing more and more out there.

So" buena ventura" to both of us in our bike discovery journey. Keep posting. It would be nice to compare notes on how both of us are coming along.
Old 06-19-10, 04:03 PM
TheLastEric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunnyFlorida
I was reading what you were already doing and it sounds a lot of what I'm trying to keep in mind as I ride. Oh so scary at times but I must confess that it doesn't seem to be stopping me from venturing more and more out there.
Yes, very scary at times. I'm gradually going greater distances - I took it around the block and went down a few other roads today. It was a lot smoother this time. I just keep reminding myself that I have every right to utilize the roadways like everyone else and when traffic came up I behind me today I didn't feel as odd about it as I did yesterday. I do find some bigger vehicles very intimidating though - especially the big rigs. And for some reason - motorcycles. They're loud, and loud things sometimes make me jump. Random fact - I used to be afraid of balloons popping. lol (Nothing against motorcycles. If I could learn to ride one on the road I probably would.)

So" buena ventura" to both of us in our bike discovery journey. Keep posting. It would be nice to compare notes on how both of us are coming along.
That would be very cool.
Old 06-19-10, 04:14 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eric, I was gonna be a smart-aleck and say, "Well, it isn't an ADVANTAGE!", and then give you some supportive advice -- but you've gotten all I could have come up with, and then some more (A LOT MORE!), so I'll just reinforce what's been said here.

My unique take would be, though, "keep your head on a swivel", kinda like a fighter pilot. I do that just keep from zoning out on the same old route.
Old 06-19-10, 05:24 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Several thoughts come to mind"

+10 in the mirrors. They let you glance at what it behind you without you having to turn your head. There will be cars which come up behind when you aren't looking, and times when you will be so preoccupied with the road surface or something happening in front of you that you won't have time to glance in the mirror. But that's okay. Just be aware of when you do know what is back there and when you don't.

About your vision being the same liability whether you are on a bike or in a car, there is a big difference. A car outweighs a bike and rider by, oh, maybe 200 to 1. On a bike if you miss something you are most likely to harm yourself. When driving a car if you miss something you could harm someone else. Laws exist to protect people from themselves but mostly to protect people from others. On the bike you are responsible for your own safety but at least you aren't usually endangering anyone else. On the other hand, most drivers are pretty good, are cautious and courteous around bikes. If they see you (and be aware that they may not) they will usually give you whatever space seems appropriate.

Finally, consider your statement "I have every right to utilize the roadways like everyone else". This point comes up every so often, especially in the Advocacy forum. Here is one thing to be aware of which you may not have thought of because you don't drive a car, and which many drivers and some cyclists apparently haven't thought of either: There is a difference between right and courtesy. You have a right to be there. But other drivers may not know it or think so. Right or not, everyone on the road, cyclist or driver, has an implicit obligation to be courteous to others. A driver doing 15 in a 35mph zone is being discourteous to those behind him. A cyclist is legally allowed to do so because it is a speed appropriate for the vehicle. But the effect on the drivers behind him is the same. Legal or not, they will get impatient and upset if they have to wait too long for you. A little wait is okay, driving being what it is. But for only so long. Two-abreast cyclists who block a lane when they could let traffic go past by riding single-file are being discourteous, legal or not. Ultimately, what matters is how traffic flows and how drivers react to you. Take the lanes you need, you have a right to them, but try not to block others when you can help it. You are the guy without the 4000 pound suit of armor. Be courteous and allow others the opportunity to be courteous too. Everybody wins that way!

After all those words, one final thought: Take responsibility! Go do it! Experience makes you better. Enjoy!
Old 06-19-10, 08:31 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Eric, It sounds like you're doing well. Practice does lead to comfort. When I was new, it helped to remember things like "The drivers don't want to hit me, so I have to make sure they can see me and I can see them." After a while you will feel good about your riding. My philosophy is to pick daily and weekly goals for improvement, and to make sure the goals are challenging but not impossible.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-19-10, 09:04 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mirrors are good, but there's one huge advantage you'll have on the bike. You can hear the sounds around you. Over time, your ears will become so attuned to the sounds of the road that you will be able to determine if you are having specific mechanical issues with your bike, if you are being approached from behind or if there is a hazard around you. Your ears, working together with your eyes, will give you a good, safe experience.

It will take a bit of time to develop the ears, but that will come.
Old 06-22-10, 12:33 AM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Some people will never become comfortable cycling in traffic regardless of how much you do it, others take to it like a duck to water. The use of mirrors is a good idea too. I use a couple of different ones depending on the bike.

Aaron
Absolutely. I have a friend who thinks I'm nuts because I'll ride on the really wide shoulder of the Expressway (50mph road) to go to Trader Joe's or Smart and Final. Me, I've been riding on the roads since I was a pre-teen. I've been hit a few times (probably explains a lot) but road riding doesn't bug me.
Old 06-22-10, 04:37 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Several thoughts come to mind"

+10 in the mirrors. They let you glance at what it behind you without you having to turn your head. There will be cars which come up behind when you aren't looking, and times when you will be so preoccupied with the road surface or something happening in front of you that you won't have time to glance in the mirror. But that's okay. Just be aware of when you do know what is back there and when you don't.

About your vision being the same liability whether you are on a bike or in a car, there is a big difference. A car outweighs a bike and rider by, oh, maybe 200 to 1. On a bike if you miss something you are most likely to harm yourself. When driving a car if you miss something you could harm someone else. Laws exist to protect people from themselves but mostly to protect people from others. On the bike you are responsible for your own safety but at least you aren't usually endangering anyone else. On the other hand, most drivers are pretty good, are cautious and courteous around bikes. If they see you (and be aware that they may not) they will usually give you whatever space seems appropriate.

Finally, consider your statement "I have every right to utilize the roadways like everyone else". This point comes up every so often, especially in the Advocacy forum. Here is one thing to be aware of which you may not have thought of because you don't drive a car, and which many drivers and some cyclists apparently haven't thought of either: There is a difference between right and courtesy. You have a right to be there. But other drivers may not know it or think so. Right or not, everyone on the road, cyclist or driver, has an implicit obligation to be courteous to others. A driver doing 15 in a 35mph zone is being discourteous to those behind him. A cyclist is legally allowed to do so because it is a speed appropriate for the vehicle. But the effect on the drivers behind him is the same. Legal or not, they will get impatient and upset if they have to wait too long for you. A little wait is okay, driving being what it is. But for only so long. Two-abreast cyclists who block a lane when they could let traffic go past by riding single-file are being discourteous, legal or not. Ultimately, what matters is how traffic flows and how drivers react to you. Take the lanes you need, you have a right to them, but try not to block others when you can help it. You are the guy without the 4000 pound suit of armor. Be courteous and allow others the opportunity to be courteous too. Everybody wins that way!

After all those words, one final thought: Take responsibility! Go do it! Experience makes you better. Enjoy!
Impatient drivers are not my problem. I happen to drive quite a bit, the jack (or jill) behind me does not do my driving for me. If I slow for road conditions it is not a discourtesy! On more than one occasion I have had some idiot decide that I am not going fast enough (even at the posted speed limit) and whip out around me, nearly causing accidents. The roads are to be shared, if someone can't wait a few seconds for me to clear my section of road that is THEIR problem...not a discourtesy. To me a greater discourtesy is not following traffic laws or making your own rules up as you go along.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-22-10, 09:44 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLastEric
I really don't know. I'd really like for my bike to be my main transportation soon - I'm really tired of getting rides. I just need to somehow become a little more accustomed to the road.
You might consider taking a Road One course from your local LAB league certified instructor. That will give you a lot of confidence and comfort on the road.

League Certified Instructors in Kentucky

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-22-10, 09:59 AM
TheLastEric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impatient drivers are not my problem. I happen to drive quite a bit, the jack (or jill) behind me does not do my driving for me. If I slow for road conditions it is not a discourtesy! On more than one occasion I have had some idiot decide that I am not going fast enough (even at the posted speed limit) and whip out around me, nearly causing accidents. The roads are to be shared, if someone can't wait a few seconds for me to clear my section of road that is THEIR problem...not a discourtesy. To me a greater discourtesy is not following traffic laws or making your own rules up as you go along.

Aaron
I agree. I'm not riding the roads to be discourteous. I'm riding my bike on the roads for the same reason the other vehicles are - to get to where I need to go. I do my best to keep to the right if the road is safe for it, but when I merge I'm not riding in the middle of the lane just to slow traffic down. I'm doing it because the right side of the road is chipped away or there are parked cars, or I'm about to make a left turn. Motor-vehicle drivers should be courteous to me too sometimes and respect that I have to merge with traffic every now and again in order to keep from wrecking myself. Just my two cents on that.
Old 06-22-10, 12:02 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As to mirrors, I've been using a helmet-mounted tool mirror for years now and it's been absolutely fantastic. Unlike the typical cheapo bike mirrors, this one has very nice glass and a crystal clear image. Mounting is very simple, just find the spot you like and lock it down with electrical tape. To check blind spot just shake your head. It's invaluable for driving in traffic.

You'll find a lot of fair weather cyclists arguing against mirrors, but for those of us who are on the roads every single day, year round, in a lot of places that are anything but bike friendly, the mirrors are very popular. Lance don't have no mirror, but Lance don't haul 100 pounds of bulk flour home through a blizzard on his bike at night, dodging snow plows!

You can get these mirrors at any hardware store for about $6.

Old 06-22-10, 01:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
+1 on helmet (or eyeglass) mirror. Using it is a bit of a skill, one worth acquiring.

As for your peripheral vision issues, no one can know. No one can look through your eyes, and you can't look through anyone else's. If it's bad enough that it has been diagnosed, we must assume it is a rather serious handicap; but you've always had it (right?) so you must be pretty used to it by now.

All the issues in this thread, I think, will be solved by time, experience, and confidence.

Except for the hair. For that, you need a haircut.
Old 06-22-10, 02:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Impatient drivers are not my problem. ... On more than one occasion I have had some idiot decide that I am not going fast enough (even at the posted speed limit) and whip out around me, nearly causing accidents.
I don't mean to be pedantic but I think you missed the point I was making for Eric's benefit. If a driver behind you whips around you and causes an accident it is your problem. Sure, it isn't you who is getting impatient (I never said it was) and it may or may not be your fault or something you can control, but the cyclist as victim will pay the higher price. That makes it your problem.

The roads are to be shared, if someone can't wait a few seconds for me to clear my section of road that is THEIR problem...not a discourtesy.
Of course drivers should have more patience, and I did say "A little wait is okay, driving being what it is." Small waits are part of typical traffic patterns. Some drivers see so many of them that they make foolish moves; some drivers are more tolerant. But that's not the sort of delay I was writing about.

The difference between, say, a car turning left and a cyclist (or tractor or inattentive driver with no sense of urgency) running 15mh in a much faster zone is that the car presents a momantary delay while the cyclist (or tractor or daydreaming driver) is ever-present until his path turns aside. But the cyclist usually has more opportunities than any motor vehicle to pull aside out of courtesy. Frankly, it astounds me that drivers never seem to notice how their own behavior affects the people around them. But a cyclist has more ways to accomodate others and a much bigger reason to do so. The cyclist has a right to the road. No one is obligated by law to be courteous. But everyone wins when courtesy abounds, and when patience runs out the cyclist will be the biggest loser.

As fellow cyclists we all have an additional obligation to each other. Were I to act like a jerk on my bike it would give motorists "yet another reason" to wish that all bikes would go away. Some people do hold stereotype attitudes, after all. It would be yet one more thing to try their patience at that particular moment on that road. But since I am sure no participant in BF ever rides discourtously I won't bring it up.

Cheers!
Old 06-22-10, 03:30 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=rhm;11001921As for your peripheral vision issues, no one can know. No one can look through your eyes, and you can't look through anyone else's. [/QUOTE]

My trials of helmet mounted and glasses mounted mirrors have not fared well. If I can get the mirror far enough away from the center of my vision so that my big balloony head does not block everything, then I can see no meaningful image either.

On my recumbent, I have a mirror on the handlebars, for my utility bike, I just listen and look back over my shoulders.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-25-10, 07:45 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harrodsburg is a nice little town... I've been through there a time or two, and was very favorably impressed with the area.

I'll second the idea of getting together with one of the League Cycling Instructors for one of their Traffic Skills classes. The main course will teach a bit about basic bike care and maintenance, traffic law as it applies to bikes in Kentucky, and how to stay out of trouble on the roadways. A little over half the class is spent out actually riding under the instructor's coaching and supervision, so it's a good way to have someone walk you through situations that trouble you or give you difficulty.

Most of my contacts are in either Louisville or Bowling Green, but there are a couple guys up in Lexington that's probably closest.

As others have advised, start off on calm, low traffic streets. Being a little anxious is okay. Being scared is Mother Nature's way of letting you know that you're venturing beyond your current capabilities or confidence level. Work up to more complex traffic situations as you feel ready to try it.

You can compensate for your peripheral vision loss both by wearing a glasses- or helmet-mounted mirror, or a mirror on your handlebar ends. I personally find the glasses-mount to work best for me; but you will need to play around a bit until you find what works best for you. Also, learn to swivel your head and shoulders to physically look behind you... the traffic skills course will also teach you to do this. Use your hearing to help compensate for the vision limitations as well... you can usually hear tire or engine noise even before you see the vehicle.

Good luck, and I hope this work out well for you...

Tom