Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do you get your groceries?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How do you get your groceries?
Frequent trips, buying just a few items at a time
51.11%
Weekly trips
37.78%
Monthly trips/"stocking up" and possibly as needed trips thrown in
8.89%
Online vendors/have it delivered.
2.22%
Raise/grow your own
0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

How do you get your groceries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 04:55 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
I've had, and discontinued buying, both of those beers; the first fat Tire I had was in a big single bottle, and was ambrosia; so was the first 1 or 2 6-packs. After that, there was a significant drop in quality. The Leinie is just too "club soda-like" for my taste. There are a lot of good beers out there, which are out of my price range, so Sam Adams gets my business in the future.

Just my opinion. Drink up!
Not a fan of Sam... too hoppy. Also live in an area where anything other than Bud or Miller is considered and import.

I am actually planning to start brewing my own beer again as soon as I get the new shop built.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-14-13, 05:13 AM
kjmillig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Combination of larger weekly trips and smaller loads through the week as needed. Haven't used a trailer yet, but will at some point. I also have a scooter and can haul 2 really big bags of considerable weight when needed.
Old 10-14-13, 05:26 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i lived in Toronto it was easy as the transit system was great, My roomate and i would do weekly trips for the stuff we shared and we would pick up stuff on the way home from work...During the riding season i have seen myself with 2 cases of bottle beers, one on the rack and one on a frame backpack...
Old 10-14-13, 06:10 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No problem ...I can easily fit a dozen or more cans of beer inside my messenger bag. It's not that heavy. When I exercise at home I do push-ups with 55 pounds of weight plates on my back..So carrying a dozen beers on my back for few miles is nothing...I try to avoid eating fast food including pizza. If I do buy pizza once in a while I get it in slices so it's easy to carry in my bag.
Ha, now when I exercise at home, I do push-ups with 55 pounds of weight hanging off the front of me. Some people would call it a belly, LOL.

Rode with a coworker after work and I was about half a mile from the end of the trail when he sent me a text. "Must suck to be 40." Told him, no, it doesn't suck to be 40. Next time, I'll be strapping a propane tank from one of our forktrucks to his back and that will wipe the cockey smile right off his face
Old 10-14-13, 08:21 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Kinda pricey (at least for me, but I think they are cheaper than Omaha Steaks) is Schwan's.

A local chain grocer has rolled out online shopping (you click it, they pull it) and some of their locations also have home delivery service (I'm not in the delivery radius of any of those stores). Dated story about it, but I suspect the fees mentioned still apply today, as this grocer is one of the higher priced ones around.
For now it isn't bad for me and my wife. More than if I shopped myself but not as bad as Omaha Steaks. But Wally world is moving into the shop and deliver market so if they ever expand to my area I could simply set up deliveries and not have to hit the store. But have you looked into netgrocers?
Old 10-14-13, 08:39 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Never heard of netgrocers. I guess I'll go look them up.
Old 10-14-13, 11:48 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
None of the poll options quite fits. Most of our food comes from one of two farmers markets. Usually we ride the bus to the larger one on Saturday morning. From the apartment to the bus stop is a walk of about 3/4 mile, but it drops us off right at the farmers market on the other end of the line. To carry the food we made a cart. Start with one Xootr folding hand truck, add a plastic gift wrap storage container held on with adjustable straps, and you get one waterproof shopping cart, no bags required!

If we miss the Saturday market, I ride my bike to a much smaller market on Sunday. The farmers market food gets supplemented with a few items from two stores, as needed. Those shopping trips are small and are either on foot or bike.

And there are occasional trips by bike or train to specialty stores to get things that aren't stocked elsewhere, such as really high quality spices, Asian and Middle Eastern ingredients, etc.

The Xootr cart (without the plastic container) is incredibly handy for transporting all sorts of things -- big bags of bunny litter, computers, boxes -- even food and dishes down to the park for a barbecue.

Last edited by ro-monster; 10-14-13 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 07:38 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Not a fan of Sam... too hoppy. Also live in an area where anything other than Bud or Miller is considered and import.

I am actually planning to start brewing my own beer again as soon as I get the new shop built.

Aaron
I agree regarding the Boston Lager -- eecchhh! Dunkelweisen and Honey Wheat are pretty nice, though; and Boston ALE is a step up from the Lager.... During the last summer heatwave, I found out that the Belgian White (no longer offered, though) had the vanishing aftertaste of the "Dry" beers the big players made.
Old 10-19-13, 08:00 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use 2 Arkel panniers and a couple bungee cords to get groceries. Works fine for me. I eat like a pig, so I have to buy groceries a few times a week....
Old 10-20-13, 02:22 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Aaron
Aaron, you need to return to Iowa.

City trails are littered with brew pubs. You can easily spot these because you walk in the door and there's a "menu" written in chaulk describing aspects of the beer, percentage alcohol, its aftertaste, origin of the hops... yada.

Yesterday, had an IPA called "ChainBuster" (most pubs have a bicycle theme... or at least a bicycle beer) at a new spot near a trail extension.

It's like a Portlandia episode.
Old 10-20-13, 02:31 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Maybe in Des Moines. Here in Eastern Iowa I'd be parched if I didn't bring back some Yuengling on every East Coast trip. I've been in some places that have nothing but lite beers on tap; Busch Light appears to be the fav of those who litter the road with their cans.
Old 10-20-13, 02:37 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

City trails are littered with brew pubs. You can easily spot these because you walk in the door and there's a "menu" written in chaulk describing aspects of the beer, percentage alcohol, its aftertaste, origin of the hops... yada.

Yesterday, had an IPA called "ChainBuster" (most pubs have a bicycle theme... or at least a bicycle beer) at a new spot near a trail extension.

It's like a Portlandia episode.
Sweet! When I was in IC there was only one real brew pub, Old Capitol Brew Works and Public House, there were a good handful of small neighborhood bars that quite often would specialize in microbrews. One of these days I would like to tour the whole country from pub to pub

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-20-13, 02:37 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Maybe in Des Moines. Here in Eastern Iowa I'd be parched if I didn't bring back some Yuengling on every East Coast trip. I've been in some places that have nothing but lite beers on tap; Busch Light appears to be the fav of those who litter the road with their cans.
I'm surprised. I can't imagine Iowa City, Dubuque and the Quad cities aren't in on this. Don't know about Burlington.

I'd say it's a matter of time. I know that some smaller towns to the north of Des Moines cater rather slavishly to cyclists' tastes... Bicycle oriented restaurants and bars are a real growth industry even outside the city.
Old 10-20-13, 05:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I'm surprised. I can't imagine Iowa City, Dubuque and the Quad cities aren't in on this. Don't know about Burlington.

I'd say it's a matter of time. I know that some smaller towns to the north of Des Moines cater rather slavishly to cyclists' tastes... Bicycle oriented restaurants and bars are a real growth industry even outside the city.
I don't go often to Iowa City, except for medical reasons for myself or wife and then want to leave as soon as possible after the medical treatment. Haven't been there often since my daughter graduated from U. of I.

We go to Quad Cities to visit my son and his wife, but only go out to places where he and she want to eat, there sometimes is something worthwhile on tap, but not often.

Haven't been in Dubuque in 35 years so I couldn't say; might go visit to see the Aquarium but not too soon. Burlington is devoid of good beer, the nearest local brew is Lost Duck in Ft. Madison.
Old 10-20-13, 07:03 PM
rockmom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If want really good beer, you must go to Wisconsin. We keep the good stuff in state. I nearly worship the New Glarus Brewing Company and the Capital Brewery.
Old 10-20-13, 09:43 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Face it- one of the biggest challenges of giving up the car is how to get food from the store to the table.

Discuss the solutions that have worked for you in order to give any members or lurkers options if they are considering making a go of the LCF lifestyle.
Well, I live across the street from a supermarket so the only challenge I have is NOT buying all the food in the store! LOL

The reason I moved into my house was the supermarket being so close. I fell in love with the whole concept of having fresh produce just across the street. My friends ask me why is my refrigerator so empty and its because I don't need to store food. With the market so close, it acts like my my own refergerator.
Old 10-26-13, 08:50 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put "frequent trips," but really I make 1 or 2 expeditions a month to the bulk/discount grocery store on the other side of town, where I get all of my dry/canned goods, staples, etc. There's a grocery store less than a mile away from my apartment that I walk to for things like dairy and produce that go bad.
Old 10-26-13, 11:45 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aaron

How did you mount that light under the basket? I'm trying to solve that problem myself, and none of my solutions have been ideal.
Old 10-26-13, 07:58 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
How did you mount that light under the basket? I'm trying to solve that problem myself, and none of my solutions have been ideal.
P-clamp, nylon spacer and a longer bolt.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-27-13, 03:48 AM
kookaburra1701

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P-clamp, nylon spacer and a longer bolt.
Genius! Does it stay put on bumpy roads? That's been the problem with all of my fixes - the light ends up migrating either up into people's eyes or straight down so that I get a good view of my front tire but nothing else. I've thought about the axle-mount lights, but I want it higher than that so people actually see me - it takes me longer to see other cyclists with lights down there so I don't even know if a motorist would notice...
Old 10-27-13, 07:28 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Genius! Does it stay put on bumpy roads? That's been the problem with all of my fixes - the light ends up migrating either up into people's eyes or straight down so that I get a good view of my front tire but nothing else. I've thought about the axle-mount lights, but I want it higher than that so people actually see me - it takes me longer to see other cyclists with lights down there so I don't even know if a motorist would notice...
I live at the end of a very rough dirt/gravel road and it stays put. I use serrated lock washers and nylock nuts. You could use the serrated nuts too.

What type/brand of light are you using? Mine is a B&M Retro and it has a pretty substantial mounting bracket. Some of the others I have seen are pretty flimsy.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-27-13, 07:33 AM
kookaburra1701

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live at the end of a very rough dirt/gravel road and it stays put. I use serrated lock washers and nylock nuts. You could use the serrated nuts too.

What type/brand of light are you using? Mine is a B&M Retro and it has a pretty substantial mounting bracket. Some of the others I have seen are pretty flimsy.

Aaron
I use a MagicShine - it just has a rubber O-ring meant to hook around a handlebar. I'm planning on getting a dynamo, and then probably a Philips Saferide. Until then, I've been working on figuring out how to put a Gino Components mount onto my basket. Right now I just have a metal bar p-clamped to the bottom of my basket and I have the MagicShine hanging upsidedown off of it.
Old 10-27-13, 07:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

I use a MagicShine - it just has a rubber O-ring meant to hook around a handlebar. I'm planning on getting a dynamo, and then probably a Philips Saferide. Until then, I've been working on figuring out how to put a Gino Components mount onto my basket. Right now I just have a metal bar p-clamped to the bottom of my basket and I have the MagicShine hanging upsidedown off of it.
The vibration issue is one of the downfalls of the o-ring style mounts. If you get the Phillips you should be able to cobble up something similar to what I have done. BTW that is a Wald 137 on my bike, IIRC the struts on your 157 are very similar in size.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 10-29-13, 03:34 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
My wife and I do one trip a week to Winco and grow a beg garden every year. We just like to know where are food is coming from. We also do a lot of U-pick from the farm down the road.

Last edited by tim24k; 10-29-13 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 06:05 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tim24k
My wife and I do one trip a week to Winco and grow a beg garden every year. We just like to know where are food is coming from. We also do a lot of U-pick from the farm down the road.
How do you get your groceries home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.