Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trailer or Utility Bike wider than 36" = 92 cm ?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 11:48 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts

The designers of a local trail are going to install bollards because of ATV trespass. Their basis is 32" from ADA wheelchair.

I know my trailer is wider than that; I need 36" to get past.

Does anyone have a utility bike or trailer wider than 36"? (I'm going to post in recumbant also to catch the trike crowd...)
Old 09-13-23, 12:27 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Don't know about the bike trailers. You may have to adapt your to the smaller wheel base. I would like to comment on the ATV trespass.

Over in North Texas I saw a community park go through expensive methods of trying to protect their 25 mile horse trail around a lake from ATV's and Dirt Bikes. They tried, speed bumps, cattle gourds, gates, moats, posts... Nothing worked. It became a game of trespass for the local teens. There was even one teen who picked up a butt load of 12ga Rock Salt and it still did not stop.

When I was ridding my bicycle there I would pull well over to the side of the trail so as not to disturb the oncoming horses. After all, it was their Horse Trail. Eventually the trail was closed.

So how do ya put in Posts to exclude ATV's or Motorcycles, or those e-bikes with vestigial pedals? And do it with still allowing wide and motorist wheel chairs, handicap scooters, bicycle trailers...

RAT'S!

Sure hope ya don't loose your trail...
Old 09-13-23, 05:39 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I agree with zandoval. I can't see your trail organizers being able to do anything to stop the problem (problem being the motorized ATV's and dirtbikes that are not allowed there).

The only 2 things I can think of to try to cut back on the issue are:
1. Have the area patrolled constantly and enforce the rules with steep fines and confiscation of equipment (ATV's and dirtbikes) with repeated offense.
2. Install cameras and have them monitored, then track down those offenders so word gets around that they are actually going after people violating the rules.

As much of a freedom advocate as I can be, I hesitate mentioning #2 above as that can be used in unintended ways (let your imagination go wherever it may). However, if there is a crew with morals that is keeping tabs on things for a legitimate reason - camera monitoring has some distinct advantages (remote monitoring, for example, and a record to go back and review).

As to a "physical barrier" that is going to prevent ATV's and dirtbikes, yet allow all the other traffic that IS allowed - you aren't going to come up with something that isn't going to be a severe handicap to those with permissible uses of the trail - to where people are going to look elsewhere for a trail to use and the group supporting the one you are referring to will loose support and backing in the process.

Best of luck to what ever your group comes to.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 09-14-23, 02:52 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
zandoval and KC8QVO, I agree this won’t keep the ATV out. However the decision to install bollards has been taken so I'm trying to limit the damage. My own trailer is 35.5” wide and the replies I got so far for trikes is 35.5” with possibly wider models out there.