Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What have you bought for your bike lately?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 09:30 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Bikes: Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As always, I am constantly purchasing/returning, purchasing/returning things for Lola (come to think of it, its' not just for her ... ). But, I think (hopefully) that I have most of the things nailed down. Unfortunately, I have had to return the Minnehaha Barrel Bag, as it will not work for my needs. For Lola, her most recent purchases ... ... have been the Brooks B18 Lady Saddle/Grips in Raspberry (my Mom purchased it for me as a gift/bribe), the PoCampo Logan Trunk Bag in Feathers, and I finally (hopefully) solved my locking problem with the Knog Strongman and the OnGuard Doberman Cable Lock . Due to some issues (icky plumbing issues in my apartment that displaced me for a few days & an icky cold for the past week) Lola is still at the LBS, but I will pick her up tomorrow, or Sunday at the latest, so I have not been able to ride with the Brooks yet. I received the PoCampo today, when I was finally able to get back into my apartment after a few days, so that was a nice surprise. It is a very nice bag, but the only thing I have an issue with (a small one) is that it does not have a very reinforced bottom and is a bit on the small side, but oh well. I really want the Po Campo Loop Pannier, but am waiting until I have a little bit more money (or maybe I will get it as an x-mas gift) and that it is only available in umber right now, and I'm not a huge fan of that color. I should've just bought this bag to begin with, and then I would not have gone through all the crap with the other bags I went through, but oh well, lesson learned and thank the goddess for receipts!

The only other little thing she needs is a good back up headlight to the Reelight, and a small tool roll that I can through in the PoCampo in case of an emergency, but I am still searching for that. I'll probably go with the one I origninally ordered then returned ...

Anyway, what have you bought lately? Any purchasing plans for the future?
Old 11-15-13, 11:28 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though lately I've been very conservative on purchases for my two bikes (touring and commuter), I managed to spend quite a lot in the past few months.

Commuter (Jamis Commuter 1 with Nexus 3):

Bought
  • New wheel-set built with Mavic A319 36h rims, DT Champ 2.0 spokes, Deore LX front hub and the existing Nexus 3 IGH
  • Magicshine MJ-800 (clone) supposedly rated at 1800 lumens and a diffuser lens to put all that light to proper use
  • No-name secondary rear light for mounting on rack
  • Pair of Avid Single Digit 3 v-brakes (the original Tektros decided to fail on me today)
To be ordered
  • Coolstop Salmon pads for the v-brakes
  • New chain and crank-set (depending on wear) No need, the chain's still got life in it.
  • 700x32 tires (make & type to be decided)

Tourer (Corratec SP0.3):

Bought
  • B&M Selectra Plus rear rack dynohub light
  • Raceface Ride front handlebar (used for long rides or day tours)
To be ordered
  • Brooks B17 saddle (black)
  • Schwalbe Marathon 700x38 tires

Last edited by Telly; 11-22-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 11:40 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Man this is a lot of crap when I add it up!

New Shimano Ultegra chain, Shimano RD pulleys, Pro bolt seat bolts, Kurt Machine trainer + accessories + fan, Cinelli bar tape, Lezyne mega drive headlight + 2A charger, Showers pass rain jacket, merino wool socks and glove liners, IQ winter gloves, balaclava, Topeak seat wedges, Park and Lezyne chain breakers, KMC missing links and park MLP .12 link pliers, Shimano cassette.

I think I will end up getting more biking specific clothes.

Last edited by GeneO; 11-15-13 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 11:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
Anyway, what have you bought lately? Any purchasing plans for the future?
Nothing and no.
Old 11-16-13, 12:19 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
New chain and tires.
Old 11-16-13, 12:51 AM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing for my own bike since nursing a broken leg for several months, but just bought my 21 year old daughter new, smoother tread tires for her daily commuter. She also bought herself some new valve stem lights.
Old 11-16-13, 02:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Instead of buying something for my bike, my bike bought it. Trying to decide whether to repair or replace.
Old 11-16-13, 04:49 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Nothing.
Old 11-16-13, 06:37 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
For me, this was a particularly big year for bike purchases, as I spent nearly $50 on my ride!

As I've discussed in other threads, in 2013, I bought a $25 Schwinn rack trunk (after buying and returning several panniers costing up to ten times as much), a $20 Mirrycle mirror (best purchase ever), and...oh yes, a $5 thirty-two LED flashlight for my handlebars that projects more light than any other bike light I have ever owned.

The jury is still out on the rack trunk, as I haven't used its pannier fold-outs for a real "tour" yet, but as a commuting accessory, it was a great choice. I'm also waiting for the $5 flashlight to burn out or explode (the way numerous critics on these forums advised it would by now), but so far, it's working just fine. As noted, I can't believe I waited so many years to get myself a real bike mirror. This thing has completely changed the way I ride and the way I perceive the road.
Old 11-16-13, 07:02 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on getting Dummy bags for my X, my freeloaders are starting to show a lot of wear.
Thinking of getting a battery for my Down Low Glow.

My e-assist needs a new battery, haven't made a final decision on that, yet.
Old 11-16-13, 07:42 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta' buy some brake pads today (again).
The the original pads that came on the bike lasted about 1500 miles. Replacement pads are only lasting about 500 miles.
I wish I knew what kind came on it.. buying pads every 6 weeks is frustrating enough, but keeping them adjusted is even more consuming.
Old 11-16-13, 11:16 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2 ultegra 6700 cassettes at $47 each.
2 ultegra 6700 50t 110 bcd chain rings at $60 each.
1 ultegra 6700 compact chain set at $120.
used ultegra 6700 ss rear der at $45.
one xt 775 brake set at $80.
2 rubino pro ii slicks at $26 each.
1 rear wheel built up with xtr, hed c2, revos, alloy nips at $420.

i know that seems like alot but i always buy spare parts and spare wheels when there is a good deal and there have been an awful lot of good deals this fall (reminds me of 2008 a little). since i run ultegra 6700 on all three of my commonly used bikes i try to have ~1 full replacement gruppo and 2-4 chains/cassettes/chainrings available.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 11-16-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 03:07 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since September I have purchased a Cat Eye headlight and taillight, fenders, a rack, and Ortlieb front roller classic panniers. I'm very happy with each of these purchases. The panniers are especially great. I just ordered some silk turtlenecks from Sierra Trading Post and am waiting for them to arrive. I'm counting these as a bike purchase because I wanted them for the moisture wicking quality of natural silk. I suspect my wardrobe will have fewer and fewer cotton items as I become increasingly obsessed with transportation cycling
Old 11-16-13, 09:01 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
These...

Old 11-16-13, 09:35 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
I currently have 3 builds going on in various phases so the list is pretty long, too long.
Old 11-17-13, 12:38 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I gotta' buy some brake pads today (again).
The the original pads that came on the bike lasted about 1500 miles. Replacement pads are only lasting about 500 miles.
I wish I knew what kind came on it.. buying pads every 6 weeks is frustrating enough, but keeping them adjusted is even more consuming.
Are they cartridge pads? Even cantilevers can be upgraded to cartridge pad holders these days. Really helps with how much of a PITA it is to change them. When it is wet out here, sometimes pads only last 6 weeks. It's remarkable, they'll last months if it is dry, but as soon as it's wet, I start burning through them. Reminds me that I should make sure I've got a spare set handy!

"What have you purchased for your bike lately?"

I'll define "lately" as the last few weeks, otherwise I'd have to list all the parts for a complete build of a new frame!

* new pedals (2013 Xposure Stomp Alloy BMX Slim Platform). Finally broke down a made a decision on a pair of big platform pedals. My ancient Oddyssey Triple Traps gave me a scare the other day and so I selected the new alloy Stomps. Turns out it was just the outer cage that was loose on my Triple Traps, but I packed the bearings good with grease too. I need a second set of pedals for the snow&ice/back-up bike anyway.

* another "Buff". Thought I had lost mine, turned out it was hiding in my clean laundry (black, in a sea of black).
That's okay, I could use a spare, especially once they start getting soaked by rain and I've got a return commute from class an hour or two later. Miserable to put wet layers back on! Especially when it is immediately followed by a long downhill!

* A new "pot hole spotlight" (T6 LED UltraFire WF-501B CREE XM-L (plus charger and two batteries, $17)), based on the recommendations of several folks in several threads here. I mounted it with a handlebar flashlight holder I already had and am REALLY impressed with this. I haven't needed it as my pothole spotlight since I got it, but it's REALLY bright as a flasher. I'll post up a review soon, once I've had a chance to test it a bit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Flashlig...E:L:OU:US:1120

* a fender bracket to replace the bodge I've got lowering my rear fender, for when I transfer it over to my new frame

* replacement helmet pad sets (two; one for now, one for next time. I hope to have this helmet for a long time.)

* A replacement Mars 4.0 tail light for the one I lost at the end of the last dark season because I didn't secure it well to my saddlebag. I sewed something similar to a lash tab onto my big saddlebag to hold it in place and have it aimed more towards approaching traffic. I won't lose this one now!

That's all since mid-October when the final wave of parts for my new build came in the mail.

Next is going to be more winter commuting clothes, I feel like I'm pretty close to set up the way I want to be on my commuter bike, but once I get the new one rolling and transfer some things over I'll have an excuse to buy more parts!

Of course, now that it is dark again, I'm eyeing more and more lights, tempted to mount a Fiber Flare (or two) as a side marker light, and tempted to replace my bar end lights that died after a year. I wish someone made a down low glow type light that was actually waterproof. Sadly, the Bike Brightz weren't up to the rain, and changing the batteries in them were a real PITA. If changing the batteries wasn't so difficult, I'd be tempted to try waterproofing the unit myself, but the combination of the two flaws is too much.
Old 11-17-13, 06:21 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Are they cartridge pads? Even cantilevers can be upgraded to cartridge pad holders these days. Really helps with how much of a PITA it is to change them. When it is wet out here, sometimes pads only last 6 weeks. It's remarkable, they'll last months if it is dry, but as soon as it's wet, I start burning through them.
V style. My bike still has the OEM front brakes, with 4000 miles on them. They squeak a little but still function fine. Rear pads.. like I said..

I wondered how difficult it would be to go to the other format.
Old 11-17-13, 10:42 AM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a bike repair stand to do more of my own maintenance.
Old 11-18-13, 04:55 AM
jxpowers

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sks bluemels mudguards, but they didnt fit on my bike so i had to return them after i had drilled a hole in them to make them fit... Still didnt work tho
Old 11-18-13, 08:21 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Park PCS-2 work stand for our front porch/bicycle barn
Black Velocity Aeroheat rims, 26 inch w/ 36 holes
Black Deore M590 hubs, repacked, cones set loosely !!! (All new shimano hubs I have bought have had them set too tight, for at least the past 4-5 years!!!)
Black DT Swiss Competition DB spokes
TriFlow synthetic grease w/ teflon
Cinelli bar tape
Continental CityRide II 26X1.75 tires
KoolStop dual compound Vbrake pads
Obenauf's LP - leather conditioner for the leather saddles (7) in the stable

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 11-18-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-18-13, 08:46 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm the exception. I got a new chain a few weeks ago. Before that, my last bike purchase was to use some cashed-in Bing points for some rear blinkies on Amazon back in the Spring.
Old 11-18-13, 08:59 AM
carlotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until 3 months ago, this would be a very short, inexpensive list for me. But it's new bike time....

In the last 3 months:
-Surly Straggler frame (purple, still waiting somewhat patiently for it to arrive)
-TRP Hylex single speed hydraulic disc brakes (to run w/ bar ends)
-Disc wheelset, A23's w/ SRAM X.9 hubs

-Button batteries for the Knog taillight
-Boeshield T9 chain lube
-New handlebar bracket for my headlight since the old one snapped off last week
Old 11-18-13, 09:44 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Aw man, another one of these threads I'm gonna have to post stuff in?

I already post most bike purchases in the 41's "purchases" thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...lated-Purchase
Old 11-18-13, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brompton got Shimano dynohub wheel and wired B&M LED head and tail lights..

The Koga Got a Thudbuster ST, with setback; to replace the Airwings Tour, OEM part, that had none..
Old 11-18-13, 10:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A Hallmark Card...

...you're my favorite bike. I love you.

PS: Don't share this card with the others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.