Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain Slipping Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain Slipping Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 05:47 AM
dippitydoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain Slipping Question

Saw someone had this issue as well.

Have a Synapse 5, can't express how much I absolutely love the bike.

Even the stock seat fits me! Which is super rare

Have one issue though, when im on the smaller cog up front, 3-5 gear have a small issue. When im climbing a hill, the chain seems to be slippng somewhere. As I put pressure on the peddle the chain would go slack a bit and then a second later it feels like it re engages the teeth. Issue is, this makes me very nervous when I am hill climbing while standing up. It makes me feel as though I'll fall when my feet are at the 12 position and pushing the pedal down with my weight.

When I shift to the bigger cog in the front, all my gears work with no issues. No slipping. Whats going on?
Old 06-23-14, 06:27 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe your rear indexing is off a little. Can you tell if it's slipping on the cog or actually jumping cogs?
Old 06-23-14, 06:33 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Was the chain recently replaced?
Old 06-23-14, 07:03 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
It may be that your pedal stroke is sufficiently uneeven that you're engaging and disengagin the freehub: i.e. you surge forward, then effectively coast for a fraction of a second. Thus you have to rengage the pawls of the freehub as you press down on the pedals.

The harder gear in the big ring, pulling more chain per revolution would make that less likely, which explains why it only happens in the small ring.

The chain can't just slip; if it's not adjusted and skipping, it would make a lot of racket and you'd know it.

It's possible the pawls in the free hub are sticking and it's not engaging and the freehub is slipping.

It's also possible the cassette is catching on the spokes, and interfering with the freehub working properly.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-23-14, 07:48 AM
dippitydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the chain was recently replaced. At least to my knowledge. This bike was bought brand new from a LBS on saturday.

TBH, I felt this while doing a test ride in the parking lot as well but I chalked it up to maybe it needing in a break in period but even at the slightest incline, gears 3, 4, 5 seem to be having issues.

No matter how much pressure i put into first gear, it have the sensation Im describing. This "slipping" feeling.

My stroke is pretty uniform or I should I say i try to keep it as uniform as possible.

I'll try to record a sound clip or something. Hopefully I don't fall while holding the phone and peddling.

Last edited by dippitydoo; 06-23-14 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 07:50 AM
dippitydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
Maybe your rear indexing is off a little. Can you tell if it's slipping on the cog or actually jumping cogs?
This is the first time something like this happened so me so tbh, I can't tell which is which.
Old 06-24-14, 04:46 AM
GoRacers

Bikes: Colnago Strada SL 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what is great about buying a new bike from your LBS. Take it back to them, show them what it is doing, and they'll fix it.
Old 06-24-14, 06:33 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Right. It could be any number of thing. Take it back to the LBS and have them check it out.

BTW, I once had a similar problem. It was because I didn't join the chain properly. The chain skipped and jammed in the chainstay on a steep climb. I ended up with some serious scratches.
Old 06-24-14, 06:40 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
inspect the chain very closely, if its in good shape you probably just need to make a minor adjustment, take it to the LBS you bought it from, have them show you how to do that adjustment and get on your way.

another resource, Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information odds are you can find your problem and how to make the adjustment yourself very easily if you have even mediocre mechanical skills.
Old 06-24-14, 08:04 AM
dippitydoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a clip of what I am referring to, for those that are interested.

Vocaroo | Voice message